HI, I'm new, and this is my 1983 Aero project.

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

ped
CB900F
CB900F

Re: HI, I'm new, and this is my 1983 Aero project.

Post by ped »

tilstad wrote:Update: This is what I got today, Chinese clone carb, fuel hose, 2 stroke oil, and some universal cables to connect to the carb.

Well the cables didnt work out, should have known better. Hooked up a steel wire with a hand loop instead, enough to pull the carb piston up and down.

Then I needed to get some fuel, a nice bottle of vermouth came in handy:

After kicking it for a while, I checked the plug. All wet. Cleaned and put it back in, kicked a few times, but nothing. Had nice good spark though.

Back in the day we used starting fluid on a spraycan, and decided to try that. Although I didn have any, so I found some electronic cleaner spray that said "extremely flammable" and gave it a good spray. Few more kicks, and it runs!

Within the next second, all mayhem sets loose! Debris are flying east and west, hitting me in the face and everywhere! The distance from my hand at the carb, to the ignition switch to kill it, suddenly seems like a mile!

Shattered!

The fan literally exploded! Good thing I was standing on the left side. This is what's left of the fan:

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot!! Oh well, this got kinda exciting, adrenalin pumping and all! So I try fire it again. Dead. Little more "starting fluid", and it fires back up! It Idles nicely! give it some gas, and rpms go up as it should. Then within a few seconds major rattle at the kickstart, so I kill it again. Initially the kickstart was kind of seized, so I pulled the cover, and got it loose, but the spring came off. I just kind of stabbed it back in, and it worked, but I guess I should have attached it properly. Have to find out how it's supposed to be.

The worst engine internals I've ever seen, atleast any vehicle I've owned. Is there supposed to be grease in here? Or is it just dirt and leaked 2 stroke oil that accumulates?

I'm not experienced with variators, this is my first time messing with any, but it seems the parts are somewhat rusted stuck. The belt kind of just rolls freely on the wheels, but the wheel/tire never moves.

Well that was it for today, need to clean and inspect the variator parts and get kickstart back in order before next step.

Oh, the engine has been sittting for so long that the crank seals are totally dry, and squeeks when one turn the crank. Have to lube that a bit I guess. Is there a good way to do that? Just spray grease/wd40 onto the crank ends/seals?
WOW! I'm Speechless. It's going to need a lot of work. see if you can find a other one . keep that one for parts.
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
treekiller
BMX
BMX

Post by treekiller »

Just picked two of these for the club.. I'm out of town, so is there in fact a variator on the front pulley. if so this motor is more like an AF01E then an AF05E. The bore and stroke are the same as an AF01E which makes sense since The 83 Nh50 sold elsewhere got that engine.

I'm going to check the bolt spacing but if the head bolt spacing are the same then then 70CC polini kit might fit.. and it's dirt cheap. (for a polini)
http://www.spi-parts.com/scooter-parts- ... -adly.html

I am using this kit on the Lead and it's good for 60MPH with gears and a variator, hopefully It'll work on the NB50 too.
treekiller
BMX
BMX

Post by treekiller »

Just checked the cylinders. while the bore and stroke are the same. (so the pistons will work) the cylinder of the AB07E uses 1/2 wing transfer ports, (like a Honda moped motor) where the AF01 (like all the AF engines) use "full wing" transfer ports.. so the AF01 piston will work, but I'll have to bore the stock cylinder if I want to fit a 47mm or similar piston like the polini. Now it looks like Honda was able to make 5.2 horsepower from this engine in some forms, so I'll have to look at what parts they used.
tilstad
Noob
Noob

Post by tilstad »

As of now, I'm not working on this Honda. I have restored 2 other scoots instead, complete with all new OEM bodywork. Honestly, people selling parts for these just want too much for it. I'm not into spending 2000-2500 us$ and end up with something I can sell for $500. If I ever find a parts bike that might be the way to go, but as of now the build is dead.

As far as I could find out at the time I was looking into refurbing the Honda, the big bore kits that fits, is not the one you listed. The bore and stroke might be the same, but look at the mating surface of the cylinder & block on the side ports. They are much smaller on the older aero.

The one that DO fit though is the one that's used on the Honda PA50 Camino, Honda PX, Honda Express etc

Malossi has kits though, and lots of other brands.

http://www.treatland.tv/honda-hobbit-PA ... 500&page=1
https://www.treatland.tv/honda-hobbit-p ... cc-kit.htm
http://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.ph ... 96,2065728
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/pa_50 ... _bore_kit/

Although the cooling fins needs to be cut down somewhat to fit inside the cooling shroud. There is a possibility the fins are directed the wrong direction at a 90 degree angle aswell. EDIT: Come to think of it, I think it's the HEAD that has cooling fins in other direction, not cylinder.

The early Honda aero motor is somewhat of a hybrid of older Honda tech, and newer tech with some parts fitting from both, but mostly the older. The drive system, variator etc seems to be unique, with the exception of European models sold at that time period.
treekiller
BMX
BMX

Post by treekiller »

yea I was looking at the Variator setup in your pics and it looks identical to my AF01 (short belt) I have the stock, belt and variator to try them out. but I'm 1/2 tempted to just pickup an NH80 motor and bolt it up... actually there is an NH125 on Ebay right now for < $200 and those motors are pretty short and should not stick out all goofy like,.