HI, I'm new, and this is my 1983 Aero project.

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: HI, I'm new, and this is my 1983 Aero project.

Post by swimmingfree »

boy thats the ruffest thing ive ever seen .. i wood pull the floor board and make it a naked scooter out of it ..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
tilstad
Noob
Noob

Post by tilstad »

Ok so I got sidetracked for a bit as I found this awsume deal on a Kymco scooter.
$500 and only 53 miles on the odometer!
It didnÔÇÖt run of course, owner thought it ÔÇ£needs carbÔÇØ. As if it might be missing. Or just need another one. His wife agreed, ÔÇ£you just need to go get some carb for it, and youÔÇÖll be okÔÇØ. Right. LetÔÇÖs get a gallon of carb and weÔÇÖll be on our way.

The carb was present, so I went throught it, set floatlevel, adjusted idle air mixture, freed up a small clog in the pilot jet, cleaned, inspected all passages, tested bystarter, and mounted back. Nope.
Went through all the electric components, tested with ohm meter with values from shop manual, everything tested out fine, except the CDI. It was dead. Even had a buzzing noise when the ignition was on. So I ordered a new one, and are waiting for the part to arrive.

Good thing about this scoot is that itÔÇÖs big, and 16 inch tires. Also is legally a moped, so my wife can ride it. It will get derestricted of course, all in good time.

Since I ran out of work on that one, I got back to the Aero again.

I thought I had pinpointed the squeaks when crank was rotated to come from under the flywheel. SO I got a puller:

Tuned out that wasnÔÇÖt it:

Suddenly I noticed this; Do you see anything wrong here? ThereÔÇÖs a nut under the bolthead! And itÔÇÖs loose!

I had pinpointed the squeaking sound to come from the piston, so I decided to pull the cylinder and head. But the bolt with the nut on it was stuck, I tried my very best to make it come loose, but it snapped off:
Broken headbolt in the engine case:

Now what was the purpose of the nut?

Turned out there was no headgasket! Strange it even ran.
Piston and cylinder checked out ok. Not great, but no grades in the cylinder, and no previous seizing. A hone and rings should make it good. But crank bearings seem very loud. IÔÇÖm not sure what the usual sound level is supposed to be, but to me they sound loud.

I think most sane people would give up at this point, because there really isnÔÇÖt any saving aspects of this scooter to make up for all the work needed to put in. Most everything is broken, worn out or missing.

I decided that I will pull the block, crank out of the cases and inspect. Maybe I can learn something. DoesnÔÇÖt cost any to do that. Then weÔÇÖll see, if crankbearings is all it needs, or if thereÔÇÖs even more.

On a positive, but totaly insignificant note; I made the gas gauge work! Lol. Even being utterly rusted to smithereens, I managed to make it work.

Last edited by tilstad on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Bearings are $40 AA set. If the crank is bad, a good used one will pop up for not much more. As long as the cases aren't cracked, total rebuild with top end won't exceed $350 if you shop wisely.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

if you are even somewhat interested i have a motor out of an 86 aero that i'm not going to use. it will include the carb, the throttle cable, shock and i just put new rollerweights and a drivebelt on it. i dont know if it runs because the bike it was on had electrical issues so i wasnt even able to turn it over

i'm in oklahoma city
tilstad
Noob
Noob

Post by tilstad »

Yes! I'm definatly interested in that motor! How much do you want for it? That's within reasonable driving distance aswell. Could possibly do it within a day. Well it's a 6 and a half hour drive each way. I guess that's doable, as the other closest aero parts bikes I found was in Phoenix and Maine. None of them wanted to ship.

Would the engine be complete? As I do not think many parts, if any, will fit from mine. I'm thinking stator, flywheel, engine covers, fanshroud and cover, starter, basically all the external parts. The carb might be the only part that I have that do fit, but I'm pretty sure the intake is different.

It turned out that the squeaking was because the piston needle bearing was stuck, or seized. So the thrust angle was off. In addition to that, the crank big end bearing, or needle bearing locks up occasionally when you turn it. Basically it needs a new crank, or complete overhaul of it with tools I do not have (to set runout, true it etc), or is feasible to get within any sense of economic reason.

I'm not sure what a shop would charge for that, but my guess would be starting at 200 and up just for the labour.
But none of the ones I called was able to do it anyhow. There is a couple of cranks on ebay, one that's as bad as mine, the other "new", but looks severly rusted. Most likely the bearing surfaces is rusted aswell, maybe even the bearings themselves. And for $200 it does not seem like a wise investment, rather sketchy I'd say.

Cylinder is uable, but had no headgasket:

Unless someone has a good working crank that they are willing to donate for a symbolic sum to help get another old Honda back on the road, I think this engine is a dead end.
Last edited by tilstad on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

i have no idea what it's worth! let me get some pictures of everything. i believe it could be as easy as swapping the whole thing and plugging up the electrical. but i don't know. i'll also weigh it all if shipping would be better for you.
tilstad
Noob
Noob

Post by tilstad »

That would be great! But from the one picture I see, it seems like the kickstart shaft is missing? Do you have it, or was it broken?

I can cross reference the partnumbers and see if mine would fit, as mine is ok.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

i think your 83 has a 2 bolt intake manifold ( to the block ) and the 86 has a 4 bolt manifold ..
the 83 is a nonverbal motor like a spree ..
the 86 is a verbal motor like a elite dio ,,,,a better motor then the 83 ... not sure but you may need the motor mount so you can modafide it to fit but the wiring shood be a plug and play just mach the color you may need to chang some ends to fit...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

tilstad
Noob
Noob

Post by tilstad »

swimmingfree wrote:i think your 83 has a 2 bolt intake manifold ( to the block ) and the 86 has a 4 bolt manifold ..
the 83 is a nonverbal motor like a spree ..

What do you mean by "Non-verbal motor"?

There's definatly a 4 bolt intake on this thing. I did notice that the wiki said it wasn't, just assumed it perhaps was wrong.

I'm assuming that the AB07E engine code is the stock engine for it?

swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

lol you right ... i f.u.p. that why i put i think..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

Here is what I had planned to sell EXCEPT the plastic piece that holds the throttle cable on the handlebar circled in red (i still need that for my scoot...)

like I mentioned as far as I can tell the motor was running but I was not able to start it due to and a melted/faulty wiring harness.

I may also be able to find the two heat shields for the exhaust but probably not the exhaust gasket (does it have one?) or the hardware to mount it.

the fan isnt broken and in good condition.

the kick starter was not on the bike when I got it.

the variator has been pulled apart and cleaned. I replaced the roller weights but used a white graphite grease for lubrication instead of packing it full of the stuff honda did back in the 80's. (per recommendation of a honda tech at my local bike shop)

I also replaced the drive belt

I took off the fan cover/shroud and cleaned everything

along with the starter/oil injector and the associated bracketry

the spark plug has also been replaced with a new NGK one (not pictured above but pictured in the top four pictures)

the variator/clutch cover is missing a few bolts that were stripped badly and thrown away

the Engine is an AF05E

i am using the motor mount so I cant include that if yours is different but this is how mine looks (minus the rubber vibration absorber)

the variator cover also has two small holes in it. that you cant really see from the previous pictures

the motor has 4009.6 miles on it. And everything together weighs 40.6 lbs ( without the box/packing material)

after some ebay searching i think i'd like to get $300 for it. I think that is a fair price. (considering the link below)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-AERO-50-S ... f8&vxp=mtr

let me know if you have any other questions.
tilstad
Noob
Noob

Post by tilstad »

Looked up the kick parts at partzilla;
Cover left side :$78.77
GASKET, L. CRANKCASE COVER $12.02
SPINDLE, KICK STARTER $40.62
SPRING, KICK RETURN $7.25
BUSH, KICK SPINDLE $7.15
WASHER, KICK SPINDLE $2.44
CIRCLIP (OUTER) (14MM) $0.55

Well it needs atleast these parts, which adds it up to
$412

Plus miscellaneous repairs...
Then 860 mile drive, about $140 in gas Or $102.50 shipping
$552 or $514.50 for an engine that might work

Sorry, it's a nice assembly, but I'm starting to think I might be better off just getting another whole scoot, not necessarily a Honda.

Besides, I can buy a whole running aero for 650!
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/3729447306.html
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

Ha ha well like I said I don't know what is worth nor what its worth to you just wanted to give you full details
refl3x
Spree
Spree

Post by refl3x »

...did you give up on this project? I may know a guy that would be interested in the frame
tilstad
Noob
Noob

Post by tilstad »

Yeah? I've been looking around a little too,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-1987-85-86 ... 73&vxp=mtr

and I think I'd like $200 for it. These older aeros are getting hard to find you know. And this being an antique in Oklahoma, you'll save alot in registration fee's, only $8.55/year. Would you like an engine to go with it? I'll knock off $60 for the bad crank bearings you need to replace, so $240 for the engine, or $440 for all of it.