Spree Paint Job: "HOW-TO" Step By Step Directions

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

beno
Noob
Noob

Spree Paint Job: "HOW-TO" Step By Step Directions

Post by beno »

Hey! So, a while back I asked if any of you would like a ÔÇ£how-toÔÇØ on paint jobs, some of you said yes, so here it is. Hopefully it can help some people out.

I'm currently in the process of repainting by 87 Spree and figured I would make a how-to for painting your scoot. The reason I'm creating this how-to is because of the hours spent online without finding a step-by-step how-to on painting. So here it goes...

NOTE: I am not a professional painter and the method I used was just information I gathered from other posts around the net. My paint job wasnÔÇÖt perfect; however I am very very satisfied with it!

Here's what I started with... a perfect running 87 Spree I found on craigslist for $250 (I think)

First step: Obviously youÔÇÖre going to take of the body panels off of your bike. Fairly easy task until you get to the front fender as you do have to remove the front fork to get the fender off... I chose to leave it on and tape around to relieve myself of the headache I knew it would cause. Also, I chose to put back all nuts and bolts after I removed the panels so I knew where they would all go when I was done.Image

Side Note: While you have all of these panels off itÔÇÖs not a bad idea to go through your scooter and do a tune up. I cleaned the air filter, changed the spark plug, installed a new battery, fixed some wiring issues I was having and cleaned out my exhaust by throwing it on a charcoal fire then after painting with black high heat paint.(I was shocked that my spree was running after I saw the spark plug). Image

Step 2: Sanding. I used 250 grit the first time around. Make sure and not add to much pressure as you will gouge the plastic which will definitely show when your paint job is done. (I learned this the hard way). Just make sure you get all areas on all panels as you want the paint to really stick.

Step 3: Prime. (WasnÔÇÖt sure if this was absolutely necessary but figured it wouldnÔÇÖt hurt). I used a primer made by Rustoleum. Make sure it is made for plastics as you want the primer to be ÔÇÿflexibleÔÇÖ so it wonÔÇÖt crack on the flimsy Spree panels. I sprayed everything thoroughly and extra heavy on the footboard since I knew that would get a lot of wear.
Image Image

NOTE: Make sure the panels are clean before you lay down any coat. Any flakes or dust will show through paint job.

Step 4: More sanding. This is where I realized I sanded to hard that first time. So if you do it right the first time you can skip this.

Step 5: Paint. I went with Krylon Fusion spray paint as a cheap solution. I heard good things about it on other posts so I figured I would give it a go. I did 3 coats on everything accept the floor board; I laid it on pretty heavy again.

Step 6: Clear Coat. I still went with Krylon Fusion as they offer a clear coat made specifically for plastics which will allow the plastic to flex slightly without the paint cracking. Another 3 coats of this and again I went really heavy on the floor board.
BTW: This little spray can finger trigger is awesome! Saves your pointer finger from a lot of pain.

Step 7: More wet sanding. Here is where I went through with 1000 grit and smoothed out as many blemishes as I could. Then wet sanded with 2000 grit sand paper. This part is tedious but make sure you take your time doing a thorough job otherwise it will show on the next step. Image

Step 8: Buffing. I stopped by AutoZone and picked up rubbing and polishing compound. I had never done this process before but itÔÇÖs pretty simple. To apply I picked up some round micro-fiber pads for a couple bucks. After you clean the panels thoroughly with soapy water start with the rubbing compound first then the polish.
I was pretty surprised at the results!Image

Step 9: Decals. Now this step is optional but I wanted to keep the scooter as ÔÇÿoriginalÔÇÖ looking as possible (even though I didnÔÇÖt keep an original paint scheme). So I ordered some decals off of eBay for $30 and they look great! FYI I am in the process of having some of the original warning stickers made up.

Step 10: Wax and put everything back! Apply a good coat of wax then reinstall all of the panels back onto the scooter and drive away! Here are some ÔÇ£afterÔÇØ pictures I took after my Spree paint job.

BTW: The seat cover I got on eBay for like $20 and I am amazed at the quality!

Like I said it's not a perfect paint job. But I am the perfectionist type and I am extremely satisfied with the results!!

If you have any questions on any of the steps please ask!

Thanks and I hope this helps some of you.
1987 HONDA SPREEEEEEEE

1984 HONDA GYRO NN50!!!

1986 HONDA GYRO!
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Spree Paint Job: "HOW-TO" Step By Step Directions

Post by swimmingfree »

nice post look good !!!!
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
inkerb2b
BMX
BMX

Post by inkerb2b »

Awesome work man!!
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

Hello Beno
The shine and your paint job look great .
Only 1 thing and I,m not putting you down The Decal .....
I have a bud that has a vinyl cutter and asked him to make me some Spree decals .
Took him less than 30 min. and this is how it came out (see pics )
Again I,m not putting you down and also there are more than 1 Spree style decals
for different years .

But Look at the choppy way the Spree is cut ,
Also on the HONDA the letters look closer together
The center of the "O" looks too fat the left & right vertical bars on the "N" are also too thick ,
The "D" same thing as is the "A" also on the "A" I see it all the time the center / hole is called an Island
and it looks very small ?
Question are you happy with your decals and would you buy them again ?
Most citys have sign shops w/ vinyl cutters you might want to check around , they don't like to do 1 offs or such small jobs
but if their not busy it should cost $20 - $30 bucks and you get it right away also I fuooked up I had him do some sets of black and some in white
I don't know what I was thinking I should have got some weird colors and some done in reflective vinyl .
Again Beno I am not putting you down I just notice small stuff and think why not do it right ...?
Attachments
After I got the side plastic looking 1/2 azz I put the decal on and what a deference ,So I know how you feel about your decal .
After I got the side plastic looking 1/2 azz I put the decal on and what a deference ,So I know how you feel about your decal .
IMG_0723.jpg (33.37 KiB) Viewed 13715 times
I think thats the way HONDA should look ,notice the  "A"  very deferent from yours .
I think thats the way HONDA should look ,notice the "A" very deferent from yours .
IMG_0722.jpg (38.06 KiB) Viewed 13715 times
Yes I know It looks weird I stuck some really old spree plastics on a Elite 80 so it would look like a 50cc and had to modify the rear as the Elite 80 is so much wider . Also chopped the front plastic to make it look more like a smaller bike .
Yes I know It looks weird I stuck some really old spree plastics on a Elite 80 so it would look like a 50cc and had to modify the rear as the Elite 80 is so much wider . Also chopped the front plastic to make it look more like a smaller bike .
IMG_0721.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 13715 times
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

More decal stuff .
You would be surprised how easy and inexpensive this can be .
Attachments
This is what I started with for my Elite 80 project ,I was just going to use it as a test then started cutting and fixing the  cracks and vent  then paint  then decal  ,So I just ended up using the test panel . And not having to cut up a good panel .
This is what I started with for my Elite 80 project ,I was just going to use it as a test then started cutting and fixing the cracks and vent then paint then decal ,So I just ended up using the test panel . And not having to cut up a good panel .
100_0740.jpg (39.95 KiB) Viewed 13714 times
I was going to try to cut a star  out of white vinyl then started looking online  and got  these made for $3 bucks a decal and it was exactly what I wanted .
I was going to try to cut a star out of white vinyl then started looking online and got these made for $3 bucks a decal and it was exactly what I wanted .
100_5995.jpg (68.83 KiB) Viewed 13714 times
I thought it would be funny to make one of my bikes into a Taxi the b&amp;w checkers  I got from a model airplane  store ,the Checker  taxi  logo I made on my printer at home then used clear  vinyl to stick it on my bike ...<br />EASY !<br />I did go to a sign shop I have used before but they wanted $160.00 because of the multi colors so did it myself .  EASY !
I thought it would be funny to make one of my bikes into a Taxi the b&w checkers I got from a model airplane store ,the Checker taxi logo I made on my printer at home then used clear vinyl to stick it on my bike ...
EASY !
I did go to a sign shop I have used before but they wanted $160.00 because of the multi colors so did it myself . EASY !
100_8262.jpg (41.54 KiB) Viewed 13714 times
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Excellent, Wiki-Worthy post, Beno.

Reaaders should be advised that the '87 Spree plastics are of different material than the earlier models. All should have floorboards made of polyethylene, a material for which paint adhesion is particularly challenging.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
da808nanospeed
Spree
Spree

Post by da808nanospeed »

Looks very good for spray paint job
2003 Yamaha R1 998cc SOLD
1997 Honda Elite S 72cc SOLD
2007 SYM DD50 72CC X2
Goped sport 29cc
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

yeah not to bad for a spray can job but i prefer proper automotive paints like Spies Heckler or PPG
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Nice Work, I used krylon fusion on my recent spree paint job too. :wink:
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

Another quick question Do you have the name of the place you got the seat cover , I took another look and the black w/ the white pipeing looks great . And really goes with the bike perfect . Did it have the HONDA logo on the rear or did you put that on $ 20.00 bucks great price ... Looks good .
beno
Noob
Noob

Post by beno »

66SIX wrote:Another quick question Do you have the name of the place you got the seat cover , I took another look and the black w/ the white pipeing looks great . And really goes with the bike perfect . Did it have the HONDA logo on the rear or did you put that on $ 20.00 bucks great price ... Looks good .
I took a look on eBay and the sellers name is "allseatcovers." The Honda logo is part of the scooter. And I looked back and it actually ended up being $30 with shipping.

As far as the decal stuff, I just wanted an easy solution and had read great reviews on the decals available on eBay. I am very happy with them.
1987 HONDA SPREEEEEEEE

1984 HONDA GYRO NN50!!!

1986 HONDA GYRO!
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

I took a look on eBay and the sellers name is "allseatcovers." The Honda logo is part of the scooter. And I looked back and it actually ended up being $30 with shipping.

As far as the decal stuff, I just wanted an easy solution and had read great reviews on the decals available on eBay. I am very happy with them.[/quote]

Thanks Beno for the info .
You did a great job on the paint how -to
I wish you also did a seat how to .
Do you think you could post the instructions you got with the seat cover and how difficult was it too install ?
Are you happy with the seat cover ? Does it fit well ? Is the Honda logo on the rear of the seat look like it will last as long as the original , I have seen painted on logos wear off and fade ?
The seat price is very good did it take long to do the seat did you put it over the old cover or replace removing the old staples is a pain , I wish you would have done a how too but I guess the seat is finished and not worth taking it off and re-doing it again .
I think I should order some seat covers ...I wish you had an overhead shot of the seat as yours looks like it has the not sure what you call it I guess the indents on the top of the seat ,I put 2 photos of seat covers the bot. 1 looks like its missing the indents Thanks again Beno
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-07-09 at 12.12.29 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2013-07-09 at 12.12.29 PM.jpg (34.53 KiB) Viewed 13658 times
Screen shot 2013-07-09 at 12.09.26 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2013-07-09 at 12.09.26 PM.jpg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 13658 times
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

The lower pic is the guy I got my spree seat cover and my express seat cover wicked quality B-) he sends great instructions and its pretty easy except you need a pretty baddasss stapler to get in to the plastic of the seat pan. A regular staple gun just won't do it. An air stapler is what's needed. I went down to the auto glass and upholstery shop with the little spring clamps on the seat and they stapled it for free for me B-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
beno
Noob
Noob

Post by beno »

66SIX wrote:Thanks Beno for the info .
You did a great job on the paint how -to
I wish you also did a seat how to .
Do you think you could post the instructions you got with the seat cover and how difficult was it too install ?
Are you happy with the seat cover ? Does it fit well ? Is the Honda logo on the rear of the seat look like it will last as long as the original
Thanks!

I REALLY recommend these covers... I kind-of expected it to be cheaply made with cheap material but was very pleasantly surprised when it came in the mail and I got it onto the seat. The quality is great and the HONDA on the back seams like it will last for a long time.

The process for putting the cover on is really simple. Take the old one off then the new one slips right over the cushion then make sure its nice and tight and where you want it... then staple it in place. I do agree with patthesoundguy that a stronger power staple gun would be very helpful. I didn't have access to one so I used your average staple gun and while it worked great for me it just requires a bit more muscle to get the staples into the plastic.
1987 HONDA SPREEEEEEEE

1984 HONDA GYRO NN50!!!

1986 HONDA GYRO!
DeathByFox
Spree
Spree

Post by DeathByFox »

awesome write up and awesome paint job. But....why didnt you put another NGK plug back in....there the same price as other plugs but are better for a honda....thats probably why it ran with all that crap...i know an autolite would have never ran in that condition. Im sorry you did a great job and it looks awesome...but if your so worried about the scoot being great then use NGK plugs...NGK are the only plugs to use in honda.....nerd rant done.....
Bright lights put me in a dance But it aint house music makes me wanna dance