Spree Build...times 2!

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

ttype976
Noob
Noob

Spree Build...times 2!

Post by ttype976 »

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to introduce myself and show you my soon to be builds. Yes, buildsI bought 2! These will actually be my 2nd and 3rd builds since the first I restored was back when I was 15. My first ride was a Honda Eve we bought from an importer in Miami for $200 and my father and I completely rebuilt it. I had the Eve for a few years which got me back and forth to school, work, and all around town. While my friends were riding their bikes or getting rides from their momI was cruising in style! Its amazing that this little scoot fueled my passion for working on cars and engines for years to come.

Anyway, so now at 31, my wife and I live in St. Pete, FL and we love going downtown. I bought these 2 sprees to rebuild/restore so we can cruise the neighborhood and head downtown and run quick errands. I picked up both of them for a really good price, not running at the moment, but they are complete with all parts. The seller lost both sets of keys so IÔÇÖm having new ones made by a local locksmith, I purchased new batteries (they do have kickstarts as well), and will need to put some new tires on as well. My plan at the time being is just to get them running so we can enjoy them for a while before I take them all apart. I also have a petcock cover on order as well. They both have around 7k miles (does this sound high or scare anyone?). I will post some pictures as I go, but below is what they looked like when I bought them and after a quick sponge bath.

Thanks for looking!
Attachments
All Clean!
All Clean!
3.JPG (37.23 KiB) Viewed 9183 times
Photo from the ad...dirty!!!
Photo from the ad...dirty!!!
photo.JPG (27.1 KiB) Viewed 9183 times
My First Ride!
My First Ride!
Special K.JPG (36.99 KiB) Viewed 9183 times
ttype976
Noob
Noob

Re: Spree Build...times 2!

Post by ttype976 »

Some additional pics...
Attachments
4.JPG
4.JPG (33.82 KiB) Viewed 9172 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (40.49 KiB) Viewed 9172 times
ute
Spree
Spree

Post by ute »

nice looking scoot's
ttype976
Noob
Noob

Post by ttype976 »

Morning!

So I began working on getting these bikes running and have done the following. Please keep in mind I'm a total noob when it comes to these 2-stroke motors...thanks! I've also downloaded the manual and have been using that and old posts on this forum for reference.

* Ordered new 12v batteries
* Had new keys made since the previous owner lost both sets (ugh...$15 per set)
* I've ordered new air filters since both were missing them (probably why they didn't want to start)
* Ordered new spark plugs off ebay (NGK BPR6HS)

Obviously until I get these parts, there is no point on trying to start them. But, I started working on the black spree and have completed the following: This bike has approx. 7k miles which I'm praying the motor still has some life left and that the motor doesn't need to be rebuilt. The red one has almost 8K as well...I'll work on that one once I figure out the black one.

* Did a clean job with some engine cleaner and gunk remover (I covered all the electrical components)
*Removed the fan cover and checked to see how the motor turns. It turns well with no grinding and has the compression bump. I have not check the compression yet, but plan to after I get it to turn over.
* Drained the gasoline from the tank by removing the gas line to the carb. When I did this, the gas just poured out, which leads me to believe the petcock is not functioning as it should. I am to believe this is correct and not working?
* I cleaned and removed the carburetor. It was actually a lot cleaner than I anticipated which makes me believe the previous owner had already attempted (more reasons confirming this below). All components were there and all the little holes were clear.
* The throttle linkage was a concern as well prior to removing the carb. There was not a lot of play on the handle and when I removed the carb, I found the nub where the linkage hooks up was mangled and would not allow the linkage to slide up and down. I also believe it was installed backwards. I had to file this down in order to hook up the linkage properly. Seems to be fine now as throttle springs back and goes up and down within the carb as it should. I found the picture attached very helpful!
* I also greased all the kick start components since they kept sticking. A lot easier now...and yes, when I as all noobs, tried to kick start them a few times.
* Once I receive the spark plugs and air filters I will install and cross my fingers it starts. I also plan on replacing the oil and clean the filters in the oil line and fuel lines.

Once its running, I need new tires, lights, brakes (as needed), and hopefully that's it. I don't plan on making these fast, I'm happy with the 30mph for my use. No Dio comments :)

Any comments are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Attachments
imagecarb.jpg
imagecarb.jpg (40.24 KiB) Viewed 9115 times
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

Sounds like you are off to a good start. 7k is fine as long as you have good compression (who knows, maybe it has been rebuilt not too long ago). You might rent a compression tester at your local autoparts store or buy one if you plan on tinkering from time to time. Check the owners manual for proper spark plug gap it is probably around .025'' or so. Use fresh gas and make sure the carb is tuned by following the manual. The idle jet is a very good thing to have dialed in to ensure easy/ quick starts. The petcock valve is more than likely bad, replace it to prevent frequent flooding and wasted gas. Always make your carb adjustments with the filter on. Make sure your grease is not a liberal amount on the kickstart components because if some gets on the belt you will be unimpressed by the belt slippage. Some time you might inspect those brake shoes to make sure they are still good and not too worn. If you need the owner manual you can find it on this site under the honda owner and service manuals section. The gearbox fluid could be changed too if you feel like it, you might as well check the fluid condition/ level. I would take a sample of it and put it on paper to see how many shavings are caught in the fluid. Roll it around the driveway first to make sure it is good and mixed if it has been out of service for some time. Have fun!
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
ttype976
Noob
Noob

Post by ttype976 »

Swell!!! Well last night I started taking apart the Red scoot to clean and get ready to work on it this weekend and noticed this one needs a bit more attention. This thing is covered in oil! And the best part, its missing the air filter box lid. Not too mention the kick start is stuck in the down position and I'm hoping its not broke...just stuck.

I also received my spark plugs and air filters and petcocks are in the mail. I'm hopeful to get the black one fired up this weekend!!!

The saga continues...
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

you need a cover for the air filter or it will not run .... it will be to lean and not good on the motor ....
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
ttype976
Noob
Noob

Post by ttype976 »

swimmingfree wrote:you need a cover for the air filter or it will not run .... it will be to lean and not good on the motor ....
swimmingfree
Yup...working on finding a lid. Thanks!
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

i use duck tap as a temp fix....lol...lol
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

ttype976
Noob
Noob

Post by ttype976 »

swimmingfree wrote:i use duck tap as a temp fix....lol...lol
swimmingfree
:lol: Believe me...a piece of cardboard and some duct tape was the first things that popped into my head! Although I'm trying to make these as reliable as I can...
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

some times you need a quick fix till the parts come in....
your doing good on the build keep it up...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

ttype976
Noob
Noob

Post by ttype976 »

Monday Morning Update...

I've discovered the following negatives while taking apart the red scoot:

* Disassembled the kick-start and noticed that the gear that the half-moon turns has some of threads sheared off. This is probably why it kept getting stuck when I attempted to start it. I re-installed the parts crank case without the kick-start. Will this be a problem if trying to electric start it? I don't see why it would matter...please advise.

* Both the fuel and vacuum lines were hard as a rock and cracked. Went and picked up new hoses for each.

* Cleaned the carb on the red one, this one was a lot more gunked up than the black scoot. After a full carb dunk, looks nice and clean...

* Replaced and installed new spark plugs (BPR6HS) and gapped them to 0.25.

* Cleaned all the filters (oil & gas) and purchased 2 quarts of GN2 oil. Check the petcock on the red one and it seems to be working properly.

On a brighter note...FOOTBALL IS BACK! Got to watch my Dolphins last night...even though it was preseason and a loss, it was awesome seeing my boys back on the field!
ttype976
Noob
Noob

Post by ttype976 »

Attached are some photos of the builds...

Please note repair manual printed and bound in the second picture! haha!
Attachments
Rebuild 3.JPG
Rebuild 3.JPG (156.28 KiB) Viewed 8984 times
Rebuild 2.JPG
Rebuild 2.JPG (128.65 KiB) Viewed 8984 times
Rebuild 1.JPG
Rebuild 1.JPG (126.02 KiB) Viewed 8984 times
ttype976
Noob
Noob

Post by ttype976 »

Build Update...

Neither bike will start! Ugh...

Both bikes received full cleaning of the bike, carb, new fuel lines, petcocks, air filters, batteries, spark plugs, gas, oil, etc.

Prior to doing all this maintenance and cleaning, the start would at least crank. Now...nothing! When I try to electric start there is NOTHING...on both bikes. Plus only one has a kick start that is complete (gears chewed up on one) and I've swapped it on each bike to see if it would start...nope!

So now I'm sitting with 2 completely dead bikes...swell. My plan of action now is to check fuses, wires, clean the connections on the electric starter..etc.

Any other tips?

Thanks!
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

have you done compress test on them ???? is the plug wet ???? some time you need to prim the motor with gas to get them to go...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...