My first elite build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

refl3x
Spree
Spree

Re: My first elite build

Post by refl3x »

have the same dremel, use it all the time good choice!
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Well just waiting on my new flywheel puller. Hopefully it comes in this weekend. In the mean time I got the clutch broken down using the 39mm socket I ordered on amazon. Ill be replacing the current springs with 1k center and 2k clutch springs. Should I run the 1k center or should I up it to a 1.5k? And does the greyish thing in the current stock center spring need to be put into the new center spring? I'm assuming yes. You can see it in my picture below where I'm pointing.
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

So I take it that, yes, you are planning to split the case and match the boost ports since you're getting the fly wheel puller?
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Hmmmmm no not match the boost ports. They look like they're already pretty similar. I'm just going to open up the intake ports.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Well my flywheel puller came in today so I got to work. Pulling the flywheel was simple, just turned it and off came the flywheel. I then went down to oreillys and got the harmonic balancer puller kit from the loaner program. Cases split very easily. Used the head studs to thread into 2 holes on the engine case side and it popped off really easily. Here's some pictures in case anyone is wondering how I did it.
And here's how the motor currently in. Now the next step is taking the crank out of the other side.

So how should I go about this? I know I can just thread a nut on the end of the crank and just give it a couple of hits with my hammer and it will pop out. Is this a good method? I'm going to be reusing the crank so I don't want to damage it. How should I get it out of the other case side? Thanks!
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

use a rubber mallet or get a mate to hold a piece of wood over the end of the crank and hit the wood .That way you wont damage the crank . Oh nice work :-):-)
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

paulpauly7 wrote:use a rubber mallet or get a mate to hold a piece of wood over the end of the crank and hit the wood .That way you wont damage the crank . Oh nice work :-):-)
Yup.... what he said.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Well I threaded the nut on the end of the crank shaft and gave it a good wack and out came the crank. Went and opened up the intake ports today. Here's what I've got so far. Do you guys think I should open it up some more or should I leave it as is and start sanding to get it smooth. I already went in with my old emery board and its pretty smooth as is. Just got back from the hardware store and got some sand paper ready to finish smoothing it out. But, I just want to make sure I opened it up enough. Judging from the pics, what do you guys think? Thanks.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Looks pretty good, the only thing you need to do is put that cats tongue finish on the whole area. You have a couple real shiny areas and the rough finish helps to keep the fuel from forming droplets by promoting evaporation keeping the fuel in a gaseous state in the mix :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

So how do I go about putting the cats tongue finish on it? I was about to go in with some 80 grit sand paper and make it all smooth. Thanks.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I just use a stone on the dreml and make it rough like the scar lines you have that the dreml left. Image Image
I don't know if you can see inside that intake very well but that's the look you are going for. The 80 grit emery might give the finish you need, possibly 50 grit and rub in circles might do a good job. As long as its not shiny and feels like a cats tongue
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

nice job dude
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Well following pats wonderful advise, went back in there and added in the cats tongue finish on the intake. Fairly pleased with how my first attempt at using a dremel went. Just glad nothing went horribly wrong haha.
Now the next step is to get this stuck bearing out of the case. Been trying to pry it out using a socket but I'm afraid its going to break my wrench. Also need to get the seal out on the other side.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Well got the bearing out of the case as well as the seals and got everything washed up. Definitely glad I separated the cases before I ported the intake. There was so many little aluminum shards that the bearing couldn't even turn. I can definitely see why those little shards can do so much damage to the engine. Thats all for tonight. Don't think I need to do any more porting to this engine.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get down to oreillys and see if they can take the other bearing off the crank for me. Also need to get the 8.44 gears pressed on. Once the bearings and seals come in from Honda I'll be able to wrap this build up and start doing some heat cycles. Just wanna say thanks for all the help throughout this build.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

did you remember that little triangle piece i told you about
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank