1985 Lead NH50-F "The French Connection"

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

treekiller
BMX
BMX

1985 Lead NH50-F "The French Connection"

Post by treekiller »

I have been working diligently getting my Lead up to snuff.

Being a French Domestic Market model it has all the weird requirements they impose on 14 year old riders. Low power headlight, (Without HighBeam) No Horn *But a bicycle style thumb bell... and Worst of all Restricted to a WHOPPING 40 KM/hr...

First thing's first Got it running, (vacuum petcock was stuck shut) knocked with my screwdriver handle, sucked on the vacuum line and fuel began dribbling out. Started up and drove one lap of the block

Start 40KMH But choppy and LEAN!!!

Air Filter: Hack mechanic attempts to start resulted in a missing air filter. so I drove to the local cycle world with the filter cage in my hand. Found a $13 "UNI" filter P/N NU4132ST For a "Honda CRF80/100 XR80/100" fit perfectly. and I'm good knowing that filter is adequate for a 100cc at full chat, so my 50 won't even stress it.

Air filter 40 kmh :*: Must be restricted :eyeroll:

Derestriction: there is ZERO information about this model on the internet, but lucky for me Honda follows a tried and true formula when restricting 50cc Scoots.

The "'ol Reaming out the exhaust trick"... this AF01E engine had a 1/2" thick washer at the port of the exhaust, the hole in this pipe was (and I'm not exaggerating. 10mm) bored that out to the Full ~20
mm of the pipe This worked great giving the scooter a much needed boost in power across the rev range, but it started to lean out at WOT.

exhaust "washer" removal 44 kmh

Because power was dropping off at the new higher RPM range I decided to re-jet and Plug chop. drove over to the local chineese scooter shop, they had a #85 jet that fit swimmingly in the carb. replacing the #82 that was in there. (oddly enough it did not have a tiny jet like other restricted models) (Carb has a 13mm Round slide) but a 16mm outlet. (19mm Dio carb on order) but I was able to smooth out the top end and reduce the 2 stroke smell of death.

RE-Jet 46kmh and much safer

I liked the exhaust improvement, so I wanted to see how far I could go.. I could not find an expansion chamber for the AF01E to save my life, and I then remembered what I had to do when I could not find one for my Kenetic with an AF05 Clone motor. I married the stock flange and first few inches of pipe with a pipe from Technigas (This time I used a Technigas for a SYM/DIO found on ebay $99) married the stock flange to the Dio pipe and got...

Had to hack the right side peg support off the frame, but I'll relocate the peg eventually.

Expansion chamber 52kmh

Now that I'm thoroughly exhausted, we can focus on Transmission, and Getting more air INTO the engine.

Next weeks Episode,
Top Racing Variator

In two weeks
19mm Dio carb
19mm NH80 Intake manifold.
Top Racing Milled Aluminimum reed block (with carbon fiber reeds)

Stay tuned
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: 1985 Lead NH50-F "The French Connection"

Post by LMH »

I love Jasil "top racing" parts. Neat bike!
Dingus Khan
Spree
Spree

Re: 1985 Lead NH50-F "The French Connection"

Post by Dingus Khan »

great work!!