Restomod scooters

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

treekiller
BMX
BMX

Restomod scooters

Post by treekiller »

While building my 85 lead I couldn't help but get that buzz I got when modifying cars.

The Term "Restomod" is a new common trend in the car culture, but I really think scooter guys have been doing it for years.

The Idea is to take a classic chassis (~20 years or older) and infuse it with modern technology and performance.

With the "near" death of 2 strokes I think we are going to see more builds like this in our world. since buying a new hot rod 2 stroke is just not happening much anymore. and frankly a 4 stroke scooter, even a 150cc+ just does not have the same appeal as a Peaky, rev happy smoker.

Look at what an old air cooled 911 Porsche is going for now days. (more then a new one) it's the connection to a time past that creates not only nostalgia, but respect for what the engineers were doing with their limited access to computer data and refinement.

I love my tuned $200 30 year old scoot, and with $400 in mods a ~50CC engine that now makes 9+ horsepower and goes over 60mph Looks and handles like anything that comes from the factory today, but has that undefinable "something" that is missing from today's overly refined equipment.

you think Honda would ever make a super lightweight spree today? I doubt it.

Please post your pics and stories, I have 3 scoots I'm building now which I intend to post here soon.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Restomod scooters

Post by paulpauly7 »

I dont think running on 20 year old dry rotted tyes is as good as you get when you buy new . Tyres are the only part connecting you and the road together
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I don't think anyone is suggesting running original rubber, Pauly, any more than we should burn 30-year-old gasoline.

If anyone still hasn't gathered this, I like the idea of scooter modding. And sharing the results, good and (often) bad. The biggest kick is that I get the same giggles at a fraction of the price of modding more expensive toys. I just looked up a set of mediocre aftermarket pipes for a Sportster; $500 to gain maybe 1 horsepower, if you know how to reflash the ECU.

SHeeooot, I tripled Flash's original output for not much more.

That said, I do have a box of 1971 air I plan to pour into the airbox for the Authentic Vintage Smell.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

In mr treekillers thread for a reed cage he has his setup and states he has dry rotted 20year old tyres and does 65mph with 2:1 gearing ??
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Hes talking about the malossi 16/32 gears I assume.
The reason the older cars, 63 porsche 911, are going for more money is because there is a ton less of them now, not just the great styling of Butzy and Ferry Porsche. If there were still 6k of them they wouldnt be as priceless. Every time an old muscle car ,67 Barracuda, gets sent to the crusher it adds another 10$ to the value of the ones that survived.
My friend has an Intermeccanica Omega thats worth over $750,000 because it is 1 of 6 out of 33 that survived in the world. It is hands down the worse handling car Ive ever driven. It uses a Carol shelby stroked, bored, balanced, and blue printed 289/331 with 568 documented HP. Upon leaving the light even more than 1/20th of a blip of the throttle incites a cloud of smoke from the rear tires and a sideways motion best described as the car trying to leap into the future sideways. Upon slowing down the rear will rattle and clambor unlike anything youve ever felt, no heat, no AC, no stereo, wipers are hand operated, side windows are roll and lock style, and the top weighs as much as a whole miata. Yet its worth over 3/4 of a million dollars. Thanks to that 1 of 6 survivers, also thanks to all the rich idiots who couldnt control their foot.
Most of my friends have been doing "restomodding" since the 70s. Starting with the Mazda RX3s, Toyota Celicas, and Datsun 240/260/280s. In fact my neighbor has 3 1970-72 Datsun 240zs with various engines in them from the 80s-98. 1 has a bored and stroke L28et/31 single turbo, stock 2.6 twin turbo skyline engine, and a bored and stroked 3.0 twin turbo skyline engine. All three he uses fuel injection systems, fuel cells, larger differentials etc. The '70 with the stroked RB26DETT has AC and a nice stereo system in it. Datsun had an option for AC in 70.
All in all I have more fun on my modified scooters than I do on my big bikes, when people ask me why I do it I tell them take one for a ride and I never get asked the same question from that person again. Also in all the different makes and models Ive done mods to, the Elite is still my favorite engine and bike to mod and ride.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Nicely put, LMH. You can turn phrases as well as wrenches. :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
treekiller
BMX
BMX

Post by treekiller »

LMH is right , The malossi gears were the only ones I could find.

and their ratio is 16/32 should that be represented as 2:1 or 1:2

Owners manual lists the gear ratio as 11.1:1 for the restricted model, and 8.85:1 for the unrestricted I can only assume this includes some gear reduction present in the CVT..

I'm not claiming 65MPH considering I am getting 40mph with just jet, variator and pipe... adding Cylinder, Carb, Reeds, Gears, +25 Mph "should" be attainable. either way it's gonna be scary until I can find some front shocks and decent tires.

JL