Rebuilding to bone stock- 1984 Spree

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Rebuilding to bone stock- 1984 Spree

Post by ringLord4 »

For a while I had the 48mm BBK installed with gears but I soft seized the motor (a second time now). I didn't realize upon buying that kit with the gears how much trouble it would be. Allowing for extra air, adding oil, for what seemed like small gains.

I mainly don't want to add oil and have to mess with tuning. So I'm going back to bone stock.

I also have troubles with the threads on the block. I'm going to use timesert and recap them. I am planning on buying the M6 x 1.00mm set with a guide. When I do this should I do it with a drill? Free hand? I really don't want to mess this part up.

I also am going to install a brand new stock bore kit.

As far as electrical is concerned I will buy a new battery and see how that goes but am considering buying a new wire harness to see if that would help with electrical connectivity/ alternator charging the battery more efficiently.

The only mod I will consider is a rear spring from a ruckus because of my size 150lbs and the current spring's softness.

Any suggestions along the way would be nice. Also I need a stick air box in nice condition if anyone has one.i will post pics and build updates as well as a top end re-build video for anyone new that wants to learn a thing or two about working on Spree's. :)
Last edited by ringLord4 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Rebuilding to bone stock

Post by ringLord4 »

Bump
ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Re: Rebuilding to bone stock- 1984 Spree

Post by ringLord4 »

Updates coming soon... about to buy a stock top end kit, do a timesert, and make a video ;)
ClemSpree
Spree
Spree

Post by ClemSpree »

A drill press will help ensure that you drill straight.

I think I have a harness, for an 86, might be willing to trade for the BBK if its not too beat up. Might have some other small electrical as well, havent been in the spree box in a while but should be in the next couple weeks.
84 Aero125 Goldie, For Sale, parts bikes too
09 Stella For Sale
86 Razz
87 YSR50
56 LD150
79 P200
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

ringLord4 wrote:I also have troubles with the threads on the block. I'm going to use timesert and recap them. I am planning on buying the M6 x 1.00mm set with a guide. When I do this should I do it with a drill? Free hand? I really don't want to mess this part up.
I have not used timeserts... I am guessing the hole needs drilled before tapping? If so I would use a drill at slow speeds and feel the center.

If you are asking whether to use a drill to tap the threads into the hole, DO NOT USE A DRILL TO TAP THREADS. Do this by hand SLOWLY... in a quarter turn or so then out a half turn, then back in to where it gets difficult again then another quarter turn forward. You do NOT want to break a tap off and have to drill hardened steel out of a soft aluminum hole.
ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Post by ringLord4 »

ClemSpree wrote:A drill press will help ensure that you drill straight.

I think I have a harness, for an 86, might be willing to trade for the BBK if its not too beat up. Might have some other small electrical as well, havent been in the spree box in a while but should be in the next couple weeks.

I'll trade. The piston is beat up, but I can send you the cylinder and larger jet! :)
ringLord4
Spree
Spree

Post by ringLord4 »

kingearwig wrote:
ringLord4 wrote:I also have troubles with the threads on the block. I'm going to use timesert and recap them. I am planning on buying the M6 x 1.00mm set with a guide. When I do this should I do it with a drill? Free hand? I really don't want to mess this part up.
I have not used timeserts... I am guessing the hole needs drilled before tapping? If so I would use a drill at slow speeds and feel the center.

If you are asking whether to use a drill to tap the threads into the hole, DO NOT USE A DRILL TO TAP THREADS. Do this by hand SLOWLY... in a quarter turn or so then out a half turn, then back in to where it gets difficult again then another quarter turn forward. You do NOT want to break a tap off and have to drill hardened steel out of a soft aluminum hole.

Great! Thanks for the help! :smile:
kingearwig
Spree
Spree

Post by kingearwig »

no proble... let us know how it goes, with pics :smile:
ClemSpree
Spree
Spree

Post by ClemSpree »