Bring this X back to life

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Bring this X back to life

Post by TgyroX »

Hi guys,...... :hi: let me introduce myself. I'm a new GyroX owner, on the coast here in California. I guess this is my first scooter, although i do have a couple CT70's. :coolcruise: :coolcruise:
I'm big into motorcycles, :peace: and am also big into Wetbikes (motorcycles for the water) :2thumbs: I do all my own work on these machines, plus have a couple classic cars. Been tinkering on anything mechanical for the past 30 years.

Took me a week to get registered on the site, but am glad to be here. I've got lots of questions.

So i brought this lil' dude home this weekend

It was the one 66six talked about in another post. (sorry about that man, i promise i'll give him a good home :thumbwink: )

I've managed to make it run and even had a short 100yd ride on it. It works. Sort of. I've cleaned the fuel tank, carb, petcock sediment bowl thingy, and inspected the fuel pump (which looked primo) Threw a new spark plug at it, and of course added new gas. This bike has electric start, but it will not start via the starter. I have to kick it to start, and hold the throttle WOT to get it to fire and run. If it sits for a day, i have to prime the carb to get it to start.
I know the kick starters are fragile, so i'm trying to be careful with it. It however doesn't feel good at all. It's stiff to kick, and very "grainey" on the return. In fact it will not return on it's own.

The other issue i'm faced with is none of the electrics work. No horn, turn signals, brake light, headlamp. Tonite however, the dash lights lit and the tail light came to life breifly (flickering) when i did try to ride it, but then it stalled out. Seems to stall out as if it is running out of fuel once under load. Or perhaps it's not making enough voltage to run the coil ? It will rev and idle much longer than when trying to ride it.

I'll leave it at that for the moment and leave all that open for comment. Please feel free to advise as you see fit, I'm anxious to get everything functioning on this scoot, give it a couple shake down rides then tear it down for a good solid refurbish/low buck resto.

Thanks in advance,
Tori
Grover Beach, CA.
TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Re: Bring this X back to life

Post by TgyroX »

I like sharing pics, and here is were we stand as of tonite. Ended up taking her clothes off while tracing the "auto bystarter" wiring so i could test it, and this is were i stopped.

BTW, can someone explain that valve to me please. Does it act as a choke ?
Last edited by TgyroX on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Good to have you aboard with a Gyro X :thumbsup:

Bystarter is a cold start aid - gives a prime first few revs. Additionally, the bystarter circuit supplies additional air/fuel until the bystarter is warmed up. It slowly tapers off over a period of a few minutes. Wiki link -> http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... at_It_Does
TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Post by TgyroX »

Thanks MW's That's a great write up. Loved the cut-away pics. Must be a common question. Pretty cool design and now that i understand how it works that explains my high idle when i started it today cold. (after i had adjusted idle the prior day) Don't think i've let it run long enough to see it idle down, but i'll give that a try tomorrow.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Kickstarters usually responds well to a good cleaning and grease. Not familiar with Gyro's but assume same is case for these.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Post by TgyroX »

With all the body work off, and nice sunny day i figured it was a good time to blow the cob-webs off.
Before and after pics of a light pressure wash.

Of course it looks better wet and shiny, but now it won't be such a PIA to work on with dirt, oil, and mouse turds everywhere.
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

OK Glad I found this post .Yes mine looks a lot different a bit wider I would say .
Here are some crapppy pics of my bike naked .
Attachments
100_4414.jpg
100_4414.jpg (45.64 KiB) Viewed 11369 times
Not even sure if the hose configuration is correct ?
Not even sure if the hose configuration is correct ?
IMG_8638.jpg (53.27 KiB) Viewed 11369 times
IMG_8637.jpg
IMG_8637.jpg (62.21 KiB) Viewed 11369 times
TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Post by TgyroX »

Thanks for the pics. Strange how different our scoots are. *, even your car sits different than mine. I assume your exhaust was off in that last pic ?

btw, whats with the language filter on this site ? I originally used the word w.e.i.r.d. in place of "strange" and it ** it out ? :crazy:
TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Post by TgyroX »

Haven't lost interest, just been busy with other projects and been cheating on the X with it's new stable mate, a Zuma 50

Tomorrow i have a VIN verification scheduled with the local constable. I know where the VIN # is, could use a tip on finding the engine number.

TIA
TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Post by TgyroX »

Plates and reg in hand, so now i will continue getting this lil beastie back on the road.

I think i'm just gonna order a new carb. Any suggestions as to where to purchase ? I thought i'd found a place that had them for the Gyro for $30
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Do you know the part number?

I can probably source one if you can get that.
TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Post by TgyroX »

Carb # 29RAFL

Thank you !
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

TgyroX wrote:Carb # 29RAFL

Thank you !
Is that the carb model, or the part number? I need the latter.
TgyroX
BMX
BMX

Post by TgyroX »

That's what I found on the side of it.
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Need the part number. Think that is just the model designation of the carb.