UK Honda Vision NE50MF Recommission

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

wizbit
BMX
BMX

UK Honda Vision NE50MF Recommission

Post by wizbit »

Hi All. I've been doing a lot of reading of this forum and the info from the US Aero model on here has been really helpful. I ended up with this machine after telling my colleague that it was worth more than the £85 he was being offered for it. I honestly thought he would get a bit more so didn't think I would have to pay the notional £95 I mentioned. Anyway the photo above in his yard makes it look better than it was although the panels aren't too bad. It was a non runner but I checked it over and found it only had a thousand miles on it and I knew it had good provenance as it had been owned by his nan for 15 years with only one other owner for the previous 10. His nan had used it for very short shopping trips so he knew it was a genuine mileage. Subsequent checking of the piston/bore and other parts with a guage verified this. Unfortunately there was no paperwork with the bike when he inherited it as it got lost in the house clearance after her death. I could see a decent bike could be made out of it but couldn't see a profit in it. But I did like the idea of finding out what makes a scooter tick. I have done a full resto on a '78 RD400 which took 2 years of my spare time. I didn't want to go through all that again so decided to limit myself to a recommission to get this thing road worthy again using as much of the original parts as possible to save money. We got it in my van easily so home it went to my garage. As mentioned I bought it as a non runner. My colleague had used it briefly but it had sat for 4 years under a cover after it failed to start up one day. This saved the sun bleaching out the plastics but not the general rusting which had occurred. Well a new plug, new battery and fresh fuel and the baby fired up in about 2 seconds of pressing the start button.....a beautiful new relationship had begun!
wizbit
BMX
BMX

Re: UK Honda Vision NE50MF Recommission

Post by wizbit »

After a blat down my lane I was quite impressed with how eager this engine would pull and according to my colleague it would do 40mph no problem. Once removed I could see no washer on the outlet so had already been derestricted.
I initially thought I could re-use the exhaust but as soon as started to wire brush it a hole appeared. Ok so do I repair, buy new for £57 or go for something a bit more sexy. I opted for a chrome Proma pipe from Italy which looks a lot like a standard, straight, motorcycle can. Using Google translate we got around the language barrier and I even managed to get some crucial measurements from the seller to make sure it would fit the AF05 motor. I will post a picture as soon as I can but it looks really nice. I can't wait to get it on the scoot!
Enough of the dreaming and down to hard work. I took the side panels off to take my first glance at the engine. Good grief. I thought the engine would be protected in there-it wasn't. I couldn't believe how filthy it was. To help attract the filth it appeared someone had been missing the 2 stroke oil reservoir allowing it to run on most of everything below. Eager to start work I didn't take a photo, I should have but here it is AFTER I had spent some time de-filthing it:
You can see the back part of the belt cover still has good paint on it thanks to it's regular, if not unexpected, oil treatment from above. What was rusting was salvageable. The greatest victim was the heat shield but this has since been wire brushed, acid treated and covered in VHT paint and looks sound. The little tangs which hold the rubber cover have survived thankfully. Having searched ebay and other sites a lot this is one part that doesn't seem to come up for sale.
Thankfully I only ran the engine for a short time because when I took the air filter box apart the foam powdered to the touch. I'm surprised the whole didn't get sucked into the carb.
The engine came out oh so easily compared to a motorcycle and here it is onmy work bench:
Well there was lots to do before I could really start playing with that.
wizbit
BMX
BMX

Re: UK Honda Vision NE50MF Recommission

Post by wizbit »

Here are some lovely shots of the rust which needed to be put right:
I never realised you had to completely dis-assemble the front end just to get the mudguard off :*:

The front wheel complete with cobwebs and a fluffy seed:

Have a shot of the underneath of the rear of the engine on me :D :

The "piece de resistance" was the lower frame and engine mount:
I had the washer, which is tack welded to the centre stand spindle entrance/exit, re welded after it had broken off. This had caused the spindle to work on the seam or fold of the centre stand itself causing it to open up. I got it Tig welded at a unit near my work place for £5 (thanks IMS of Newport, Isle of Wight!).
I popped the belt cover off to strip and prepare for painting. So this is what makes a scooter go.....
It ain't a bit like my Suzuki SV650 :lol: The belt is genuine Honda but the one receipt I did have suggested it was 10 years old despite measuring hardly any wear. The devil and angel on my shoulder had a word with each other and the angel won. OK OK a new belt it is then.
I will post some more on how it's going soon. Thanks again to this site, I have downloaded the Aero manual/ printed and bound it and it sits in my garage next to all the pieces.