86 Spree nq50 stretch

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Cbarnes2186
Noob
Noob

86 Spree nq50 stretch

Post by Cbarnes2186 »

About 2 years back I came across an 86 Spree that a neighbor was giving away. Needless to say I snatched it up, got it running, and fell in love with the little bike. Last summer while attending a couple of car meets I saw tons of Rucks and took a liking the style a lot of those guys are running. The stretched and slammed look is huge in the Ruckus community but you hardly ever see it on a Spree or other more vintage scooters. Being a flat broke college student, I sure as heck didn't have the money for a Ruckus, much less all the aftermarket parts to get the desired look, so that's when I decided to build my Spree. I've been working on it whenever I'm home on break and slowly but surely its coming along. Figured I'd post some pics of the build so far, would love some feedback from the community!

Just a pic of the spree when I first got it running.

Another pic of the spree before i started chopping.

Cleaned up the engine, frame, and wheels, and painted them. Probably should have waited till I was done with the build but hey kids get excited sometimes.

Extended the motor mount 10 inches and relocated the shock mount to keep it soft tail.

Cut 3 inches out of the front forks and raked them forward about 20 degrees, then mocked up the seat and plastics.

Wanted a little more leg room so I extended the center of the frame 8 inches. Really makes the riding position a ton more comfortable and I was also happy with the look of the added length. The wheel base is now 64 inches and the ride height is a little under 2. I know some of the performance guys on here are gonna cringe at this build, but if i wanted something fast i certainly wouldn't have stuck with the original nq50. Building this for putting around at events and hopefully turning some heads with a one of a kind Spree. Thanks for peeping my build guys! Would really appreciate some feedback! Will post more pics as the build goes on :coolcruise:
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Re: 86 Spree nq50 stretch

Post by curtis966 »

Looks pretty sweet. I would ditch the headlight plastics maybe even run some drag bars. And defiantly run a nut bar on that thing to give the frame a nice brace. I see a lot of flex happening which could get ugly that low to the ground even at only 25 mph on the spree lol. And some pegs and you got your self a spreeruck!
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
Dio89Elite
Elite
Elite

Post by Dio89Elite »

agreed! your extended frame build is looking pretty sweet there! :love: Thanks for sharing! and please keep us updated with your progress with more pics please! tyvm! :) :popcorn:

ps. since you don't have to worry about rear fender issues, will we see fatties for your spreeruck? :naughty: :geekdance:
Cbarnes2186
Noob
Noob

Post by Cbarnes2186 »

Thanks for the feedback guys! Got a few hours worth of work in on the Spree tonight. Relocated the rear turn signals, started fabricating the floor pan, and added some bracing to the frame as suggested! As for fatties, they're not in the budget right now, but come summer that may be a different story 8) Hope you guys enjoy these pics, I'll keep updating as I go :coolcruise:

Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Nice job with the colors and finishes so far, and a creative flair with the stretched-out style.
My concern is that with all the added length will come considerable added flex and torsion. The engine mount itself looks super-beefy, but following the lines of connection to the frame suggests it won't control twist very well. Two flat pieces of sheet metal straddle the main spar, and nothing more. I know you don't intend to go fast with that stylin' cruiser, but this thing may be Unsafe at Any Speed. Is there any way to utilize the rubber bushing into the round frame tube like God and Honda-san intended?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Cbarnes2186
Noob
Noob

Post by Cbarnes2186 »

Thanks for the advice wheelman! The motor mount is actually the stock spree motor mount modified to add the extra length. I utilized all of the original mounting points, and even the rubber bushings. I am however also concerned about flex and twist at that point in the frame due to the added leverage so I will be brainstorming ways to brace and sturdy it up a bit, safety first after all! Thanks again for the feedback!
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

that wide floor pan isnt going to allow for much lean into the corners
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Pineapplegti
Elite
Elite

Post by Pineapplegti »

Just a fyi..the ruck douche crowd did not start the stretched scooter style..that comes from japanese drag scooters which probably mimicked real drag motorcycles..
Here is a.smile/spree stretched properly
http://www.motopormoto.com/wp-content/u ... /smile.jpg
78 Kromag. (Briton Bee) .. Under the knife.. Derbi pyramid port dual variated
78 flying dutchman.. e50 swap. mlm pipe custom tank seat.. gila kit
85 Honda spree . Af16 swap joerock mhr mini stroke scorpion pipe.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

i wood like to see photo of how you cut and change the rack of the fount end...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Nice work so far and I'm looking forward to see where this is headed. My only criticism would be that front end. I know you said it's more for show and putting around, but the angle of that rake looks to me like it won't handle stress very well, and IMO kind if ugly(to each their own). Any thoughts of upgrading to aero or elite forks? Bigger brakes, beefier tubes. Or maybe metro forks and slam it on its face??
Again good work so far and I'm loving the color of that frame!
motormike

Post by motormike »

paulpauly7 wrote:that wide floor pan isnt going to allow for any lean into the corners
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

Mike what are you the grammer police ? Have you nothing better to do?
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

if i was you i wood do more basing on the top shock mount...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
motormike

Post by motormike »

paulpauly7 wrote:Mike what are you the grammer police ? Have you nothing better to do?
It's not a matter of grammar pauly...complete change of word to more accurately describe the cornering status of this attractive, but dysfunctional scoot.
... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Cbarnes2186
Noob
Noob

Post by Cbarnes2186 »

Hey thanks for the feedback guys, I'm new to the site and the scooter scene in general so your comments both negative and positive are appreciated. Unfortunately I'm heading back to school tomorrow so the project will be sidelined for a few weeks, will deff be updating the post with progress in the near future though. I will also put some more pics of the current front end setup as requested. In terms of cornering ability and functionality, not building this to be a commuter or a performer. If I want to carve some corners I'll hop on my KTM super duke, however I will enjoy putting around low and slow on my spree this summer 8) Again thanks for checking out my build guys and I will be updating soon.

Also currently road tripping with my buddy to pick up an 83 spree so look for another build coming soon!