SE50P Build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Snappytom
Noob
Noob

SE50P Build

Post by Snappytom »

Finally starting my build thread after this introduction last month:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=28973

Have been working on getting this 1987 SE50P running, It has not fired in at least 22 years.
Work done so far:
- 2 day vinegar soak for the gas tank
- all lines and fluids drained
- petcock soak, unfortunately it is shot and dribbles gas all the time, new one is on order
- carb diassembly and total cleaning
- new air filter
- new bystarter

Got it somewhat put back together yesterday but it looks like I need to work on the float valve seat as gas is coming out the overflow constantly (petcock and float valve problem).
I have a temporary clear line going to the oil pump to see if it is working and drawing oil before setting up the real line and oil tank.
Had it idling for about 20 seconds yesterday ...... Very cool.
Until I fix the float valve seat there is no point going further as it is flooding the carb.

A couple of crappy pics below, I will add more as this progresses. Thanks to all who have taken the time to post here and in the wiki, I could no ever have gotten this far without all of the information that is available.

Wheelman-111

Re: SE50P Build

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The SE is arguably Honda's best styling work, and a worthwhile project. I'm rootin' fer ya!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Snappytom
Noob
Noob

Post by Snappytom »

It runs !
Resurfaced the float needle valve seat and put it back together again, Pulled the plug and cleaned it off (new one is coming this week)
Filled the carb and fuel line with a syringe and the fuel line topped off with no overflow from the carb.
Fired up after a few tries, I kept the fuel line full and got it running several times, it was pulling oil down the temporary tube so the pump is OK ..... all looks good so far.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Good work! :coolcruise:
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Snappytom
Noob
Noob

Post by Snappytom »

An update .....
Finally had some more time to spend on this and have the fuel system sorted out and it is running well. The idle jet was still clogged and it took me 2 more tries to get it clear. The fuel line had a rotten section and was dumping bits of rubber into the carb so that was replaced along with the petcock and the spark plug.
It's still on the bench, I am going to look over the drivetrain, check all lubrication and put it back together for the first road use in over 20 years.