Jetspinz' NQ50

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

jetspinz
Noob
Noob

Jetspinz' NQ50

Post by jetspinz »

G'day all, been reading up on this forum for a fair while now so it only seems fair I should share what I've been working on.

I picked up a 1985 Nifty 50 from down the ways for a crisp $60 a couple of months back, and during the last month (been on call for work, phone hasn't rung much!) I set about bringing her back up to spec... plus a few added specs thanks to Taz.
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]

It had been sitting outside but under cover for most of the last 13 years since it was de reg'd. Missing were both side panels, headlight, and a few other minors. Managed to source all parts before setting to work. Finding the round headlamp was a b****, but managed to stumble across one that slid into the hole just fine.

The frame was in good nick so gave it a quick rub down and a nice coat of primer to keep it that way. Oil tank was more water than oil,
so good clean out for that and the fuel tank.
Image[/URL]

A few hours with a multimeter and test bench saw the electrics come back to life. Much of the +ve wire from battery to key was toast, so I bypassed it along the loom with a nice new one. Easy fix.
Image[/URL]

Wire drill brush and a few tedious hours saw the wheels ready for paint.
Image[/URL] Image[/URL]

New engine parts in, 48mm taz kit...
Image[/URL]

...and 21mm carb kit. I've run a manual choke cable as well so you can choke her whilst sitting down. (not pictured) I left the oil pump hooked up in addition to running 32:1 for a few tanks of gas during run in. Last night in fact I removed the pump shaft and blocked off the ports, will continue to run her on premix only.
Image[/URL]

New panels arrived, sized them up to clear the new induction setup. Also added a Westach CHT gauge and knockoff tinytach/hour meter.
Image[/URL]

Everything into plastic adhesion promoter, and primer/paint. Got a nice blueish grey mixed up and shot it with my automotive gun, gave a nice flat air-force ish colour.
Image[/URL]

All finished, and ready to run in! :coolcruise:
Image[/URL]

The reason for the colour should become clear about now - ref decals. The story behind it is simply that I got the helmet in Bali about 9 months ago, and planned to do something RAF based ever since. Some of you should recognise the carrier on the back as a 50 BMG ammo tin that I scored for $10. The tubes on the back...
Image[/URL]

...rod holders :D
Image[/URL]

She runs sweet, not too quick at the moment as the jetting is purposely rich for running in. In fact I'm only seeing 300 deg F on straights and just touching 350 up hills, and that's with a 6 heat plug. Towards the end of the week I've got an MLM pipe, new belt, and some jets arriving. Then let the tuning fun begin. All i'm after is a solid 52 - 55kph and I'll be happy. The purpose of having it is running around our local area (just out of Auckland) and for the two scooter safari's we have here in Enzed, so call it charity work.

For those not familiar...
http://www.centralplateauscooterchallenge.co.nz/ <= North Island, Wanganui to Taupo
http://www.scootersafari.co.nz/ <= South Island, Christchurch to Hokitika (over the southern alps!)

Just need another scoot now, because the Mrs is all keen. Thinking fire engine based, as she is a volunteer firefighter.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Jetspinz' NQ50

Post by paulpauly7 »

hey mate im in chch and i have a taz gear set for a nq50 they are fitted to a block with new crank bearings and seals no top end on it .It would be a great upgrade as you have the 48mm kit .$80 take the whole block bolt on your intake and bbk and youve got a complete new top and bottom end .ive only done 200km on the block .
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
jetspinz
Noob
Noob

Post by jetspinz »

Sounds awesome, I might PM you toward the end of the month. My brother lives in CHC but commutes back to AKL regularly, will see if he can bring it with him.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

sweet dude just what ever suits i could remove the gears $50+ shipping and get them sent overnight that way you can fit them befor the safari.You should be good for 70ish kmh if not a bit more if your tune is good .
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
jetspinz
Noob
Noob

Post by jetspinz »

No great hurry champ, I'll def get them off you but I'm not going to make the Southern this year. Busy searching for another machine for the girl ATM so we can kick off on the Central Plateau next year. Having a blast cruising round Beachlands/Maraetai at the moment though, and gears will be sweet!
jetspinz
Noob
Noob

Post by jetspinz »

Did a bit of running around testing today. MLM pipe kicks *, a bolt on 8kph just like that. The 110 jet I need to get the carb sorted isn't arriving till tomorrow so she is a bit rich still. 24mm carb tuning is proving hard, mainly at the idle end of things.

I also did some comparison runs with 95 octane rather than the usual 91. I didn't expect nor did I get any power gain. What I did get (and expected) was a drop in CHT.

On flat runs 91 peaked at 305 degF, and on the hill run at 345 degF. 95 on flat peaked at 280 degF, hill run 330deg.

That is significant if you ask me.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

i only run BPs 98 octane in my spreedio
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

My BBK carb and mlm pipe did pretty muck 70km no gear change. I have gears just haven't put them in yet. I love the build you have going on there jetspinz its super fun. Glad to have you on board here :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jetspinz
Noob
Noob

Post by jetspinz »

I was hoping for that sort of speed, but I think the old stock belt is still holding me back. On the calipers it measured around 11mm, perhaps just shy of. Got a new stock belt on the way to see what improvements that makes. Pretty sure the current belt is original... at very least its about 15 years old! 9600rpm and 55kph, something is missing here.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Yes I would say the belt is definitely a slowing factor. With stock gears bbk carb and pipe you should be a lot faster. I was at least 65km+ top speed no gears. I did have the ax24 belt on though.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock