Thanks Hondaspree.net!

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Sheeshee
BMX
BMX

Thanks Hondaspree.net!

Post by Sheeshee »

Just finished swapping an AF16 into my spree yesterday. If it had not been for the wonderful information on this website I would not have been able to do it! Just wanted to say thanks!!! I would post a pic, but I'm on my phone right now /:
1984 Spree AF16
1974 Yamaha RD250
patthesoundguy

Re: Thanks Hondaspree.net!

Post by patthesoundguy »

So glad to hear about that swap. Congrats and welcome to the spree dio club. Can't wait to see those pics :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

Welcome to the land of the free!
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
Sheeshee
BMX
BMX

Post by Sheeshee »

So I have a couple of pics. The first one is right when I finished--the plastics are pretty dirty haha.

This one is just one with my buddy posted next to it--the scooter had just received its Windex bath.

Still kinda thinking of what to do with the side plastics to make them look less blatantly "chopped off," but also think it looks kinda cool hahaha.

So thanks again guys and gals!

BTW, I do have a couple of performance option questions:
1) I've done a little research and have seen the Polini Corsa kit seem to have good reviews, as it is a truly "plug and play" kit. What is the reliability of this kit? Is this kit daily drivable as far as reliability? Are there others to recommend? What about carb/reed/filter/etc setups for these kits? (The only downside of any BBK is that I'm guessing I'll have to go back to premixing :(! I love using the oil pump! It's so convenient being able to just pull in and get gas! I'm tired of having to premix and hope I make it home before I run out! As we all know the "huge" amount of gas the Spree tank holds...)

2) What gear set options are there? I've seen 9 to 1. Are there others? What kind of speeds are expected of these ratios?

3) And any other general performance suggestions are always welcomed! Thanks again!

FINALLY) Is there anything I can do to the stock motor that will get me to the 45mph mark? Currently doing high 30s maybe 40.
1984 Spree AF16
1974 Yamaha RD250
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

I've never used it but I hear the Corsa is very reliable and a great bolt on cylinder. But to hit 45-50 you can keep the stock bore. Just get your self a nice variator, belt, and some 9:1 gears and 45 mph will be no problem with some good tuning and prolly an up jet. There are a couple threads for people's success with a "stockish" set ups.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
Sheeshee
BMX
BMX

Post by Sheeshee »

graphite9 wrote:I've dont polini variator+9:1 gears, on a few bikes, and hit 50 top speed. You just won't gain any acceleration. Nice thing about gears+variator, is that both those components shine even more when a big bore kit added!
So it sounds that the stock bore can drive those bigger gears and variator. How bad is the acceleration though?

Any recommendations for a new vari and gears? I know you're a vendor... Hahaha
1984 Spree AF16
1974 Yamaha RD250
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The ONLY time you notice taller gears is from 0 to maybe 7MPH, when the clutch hooks up fully. After that, a well-tuned variator will keep the net gearing low enough for full power and basically normal acceleration to its top speed. That should be close to 50 with good engine tune and a tailwind.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Sheeshee
BMX
BMX

Post by Sheeshee »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

The ONLY time you notice taller gears is from 0 to maybe 7MPH, when the clutch hooks up fully. After that, a well-tuned variator will keep the net gearing low enough for full power and basically normal acceleration to its top speed. That should be close to 50 with good engine tune and a tailwind.
Cool! Thanks for the info! Any recommendations for vari? Gears?
1984 Spree AF16
1974 Yamaha RD250