1987 Elite 50s skelly

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

kram
Noob
Noob

1987 Elite 50s skelly

Post by kram »

Found this scoot for super cheap local and decided to pick it up. It's a 1987 Elite 50s

It was pretty beat up but ran and had under 3000 miles. The plastics are all destroyed and for whatever reason it is missing all of the lights. I'm totally unfamiliar with two strokes but with a little tinkering it is running really good. In fact I was a little surprised what a little 50 cc would do. Top speed on flat ground on the gps was 36 mph, cruises real good at about 30, and will take most hills between 25-30.

I'm not really the restoring type and the plastics were so beat so off they came. Once the plastics were off it actually looks pretty good, and is without any noticeable damage.

Also stuck this k&n from a honda c70 project on there to help clean it up a bit.

Next thing do is pull the carb off and give it a good cleaning. Also the tires are sketchy at best so I'll to get some new ones (planning on getting the Michelin s1 90/90-10). I've been reading around the forum about performance upgrades and trying to figure out what direction I'll go. It all is kind of making my head spin but I guess sorting that all out is part of the fun. I'm not looking for crazy but a cruising speed of 40 mph would be awesome.

-Mark
Last edited by kram on Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kram
Noob
Noob

Re: 1987 Elite 50s

Post by kram »

Once I got the plastic off I liked the look but the seat looked giant. So I made a plywood template for something a little different. Eventually i'll refine the shape some more, put it on a hinge, and get it upholstered. Also I'll cut down the oil filler neck so it's below the seat. One nice thing is that the seat is a lot lower and brings the center of gravity down and makes it feel a lot more stable.

kram
Noob
Noob

Re: 1987 Elite 50s skelly

Post by kram »

Slowly trying to get basic maintenance done on the scooter. It's running pretty good but has started vibrating a bit when decelerating, I'm guessing I need to clean the carb again. Also ordered some new tires and hope to get those on next weekend. I had a few minutes today and tacked a top bar in.
motormike

Post by motormike »

I suggest that you drain and re-fill the gearbox...NOW...before the final drive gets chewed up.
Also, pull the side-cover of the CVT drive and inspect the belt...that's probably where your vibration is coming from.
Same time, remove, clean, and inspect rollers in variator...and replace them if flat-spotted.
Do these things first, before spending money on non-essentials... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

and rejet your carb to suit that pod filter is you will eventually burn up your piston
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
kram
Noob
Noob

Post by kram »

Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate them.

Paul-I did put the stock air box back on so I don't ruin the piston, another member send me a message and said it wasn't a good idea. When I have a chance to get some jets I'll put the pod one back on.

Motormike- I topped off the final drive. What's the best way to drain it? I also pulled off the side cover. The belt actually looked pretty good with a little wear, but I plan on putting a new one on. Should I go with a belt from honda or are there better options? I wanted to check the rollers but my impact gun died and I didn't have anything to hold the gear in place. I suspect that it is probably time for some new rollers though.

I've been looking through the service manual and inspecting most of it. Is there anything else maintenance wise that should be on the top of the list?