Dirty 98 Elite- updated thread throughout

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: Dirty 98 Elite

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It looks like you need rear brake shoes soon. Malossi upgrade opportunity!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

Thanks wheelman. Ive got brand new malossi pads in the front and rear. New cables, phongeer levers. Brakes are good! Great even. Suspension sucks but starting and stopping is great. I played a little today with weights and rollers and found that wuth my new torque driver the best settings from before are still the best now. 4.5g rollers and a polini blue spring. Ive got polini yellow clutch springs in but theyre maxxed out. Maybe tomorrow ill try to put in the stiffer set.
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

After shimming the vario the belt now rests high atop the rear pulley. More testing tomorrow. I had to shim my kickstarter cover out from the cases cause of the kicker gear catching after shimming the vario.
Attachments
20150425_223045.jpg
20150425_223045.jpg (128.75 KiB) Viewed 8122 times
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

9-11k is where this setup is happy according to my dirty butt dyno. Fairly wide powerband I guess, but the c16 (at least for me) falls off in power after 11k....maybe a few hundos over. Im a little disappointed, as I tuned the cylinder for a little higher RPM, but what I have is satisfactory. Ending up with a bike thats heavy on torque at a low end mid-race rpm is probably most suitable for my application as a street racer anyways.
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Dirty 98 Elite- updated thread throughout

Post by swimmingfree »

what is the max rpm on your scooter??
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

i no rpm on a dyno is not the same as the street .. just like to no if his rpm stop after the power band ????
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

graphite9 wrote:Two stroke isn't a linear power curve. So a guy puts his bike on a dyno, and it hits 12k, and it's done. let's say he makes 10hp. Well, he isn't making 10hp at 12k, he is making it at 10.5k. It's a curve, not a straight line. Your going to stop accelerating once you hit your peak of the power curve. I hit 13.5k on my 120cc stroker on the dyno. but I wasn't making power up there.

I'm sure this is common knowledge to a lot of you guys, but just wanted to put it out there.

Here is a graph of the c16 on my unported bolt on corsa. Revs till 11.5k, but makes peak power at 10k.

And this my friends is where you want your variator to max out at;10k for the above graph. We do the same to sleds with the primary clutch;set it to peak hp. Anything over this just causes undo stress on the motor.
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

Looks like we found the max on the pipe. Thats confirmation to my thoughts of things pooping out up there. Im fairly certain my port job would support a higher rpm. After a little tuning today power feels alright up til 11/11.5. Thats with tuning in the new torque driver only. 4.5g weights, polini blue springs all around. Main 130, and a semi rich 45 pilot. Needle all the way lean.
Temps are maxxing out at 330f.
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

Yeah, it could be the cylinder, but length was added to the header portion of the pipe and that should drop its peak rpm right?
Id have to pull the cylinder to get the final exhaust timing but it was approaching 190 by the time I was done. Transfers were left alone at 125. Blowdown was around 30. I dont know how to translate that to rpm with all the other factors involved. I may have something as simple as too large of a main jet in causing lack of power up at high rpm. Ive not seen temps over 368f.
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
hothatch85
Elite
Elite

Post by hothatch85 »

yeah, id take the pipe if your interested in selling it. just keep me in the loop gentlemen.
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

Im not ready for that. Im going to play with some things. I haven't had a ton of time to put into tuning. Im enjoying it, I can lift the front wheel with the throttle up to about 15 mph and its torquey. Its a fun ride, and temps are good. Ive never wrapped a pipe before, but hotter gasses move faster making the pipe act shorter so im interested to see the effects of that. I can still play more with my jetting and trans.

It may sound like im complaining but im not. Please offer suggestions if you guys have ideas.
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

graphite9 wrote:why is my stock corsa hitting the same, if not higher rpm than the adjusted fabrizi? I have seen graphs of this pipe revving till 13.8k. I stopped at that RPm above, because no power mwas made higher. Keep in mind this was a stock corsa. I believe it went to 12.7 before it was done on the dyno.

Also I do have access to another MXS pipe that has a dyno graph of making peak power at 12.5-12.7, revved till nearly 14k.. If you're not happy with the pipe's output, I will give you a full refund on it, or trade it straight across for the MXS pipe. THe mxs pipe made 19whp on a vertical mina. You'd just have to make it fit, it might be closer, or further off than the yasuni. I also have no input on the quality, or sound. I'm running a drag style yasuni on my beta, and I'm making peak power around 12.5-13.5k, and revving till 15.5k, but its a TOTAL pig below 9k. Keep it mind you will probably spin your bearings at 12.5-13k sustained. We don't get great bearings for our dio's like the mina/piaggios do. I'd like you to see the figures you were shooting for.
Ive been thinking about this post in response to my statement about finding the peak of the pipe. My timings are set higher, but there seems to be no impact from that.... hence we've tapped the pipe. I've got mega torque til 10.5-11k which is all good. Yes on a mina or piaggio horizontal it may rev higher, but these pipes has been lengthened. Length in the header will reduce peak rpm. I'm going to find a nice wrap and see if that does anything. I don't want to get rid of the pipe. There are so many weird pipes and copies of them, and copies of the copies I don't trust any other. If I didn't think this was the best pipe for our bikes I wouldn't keep it.
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
jetlag
Spree
Spree

Post by jetlag »

Idk but I've been hitting all types of max rpms due to over revs all with a 1000 malossi center having difficulty holding the rpms in my powerband here's one at 14k shoot way past my powerband. I'm trying to stay away from stiffer centers but it seems I may end up stepping up and lose my daily to a weekend warrior. Sweet spot for my mhr I like to say is 10-11 but keeps climbing. Still haven't passed 70 but I know 80 should be no problem since I get to 65 in no time. One thing for sure tho is that this is my most challenging pipe I had to tune to lol

DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

Maybe I jacked up the cylinder when porting it. Its possible.
98 Elite
4 strokes are for cars
DirtyE
Elite
Elite

Post by DirtyE »

Lets face it, blue is NOT the fastest color
Attachments
20150430_203406.jpg
20150430_203406.jpg (170.83 KiB) Viewed 8287 times
98 Elite