Picked Up A 2001 Elite Today!

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Picked Up A 2001 Elite Today!

Post by Ben L. »

I found this jem about 30 miles from home. Get there to find out its a 1 owner bike with 2500 miles. Always dealer serviced and not de-restricted. I really wanted a purple one but this red is pretty neat. Top speed 31ish.

As soon as I got it home I punched out the second hole in the airbox, installed a #80 jet, installed my polini variator, and cleaned out the "washer" in the exhaust.
Now it buries the speedo in the "mph" on the dash.

Mod List As Of 3/13/16
Malossi 72cc Sport Kit
Polini Variator with 6.9g Rollers
Stock Clutch With High Stall Springs
9:1 Gears
Simonini Exhaust
Japan Spec Tail
TTO

Last edited by Ben L. on Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Re: Picked Up A 2001 Elite Today!

Post by DeanP »

Wow! Nice find! BTW: what was the cost for it? (if you don't mind me asking)
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Dang, man. She is cherry. Woh much?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

$750. A bit more than I wanted to pay but oh well.
Xxbeejay45xx
Elite
Elite

Post by Xxbeejay45xx »

Hey gotta pay for the cherry ones, people who take care of these scoots will definitely look up prices before selling, Great find sir
95 Elite SR af16e
72cc Polini Corsa
28 Oko Carb 58/144
Ported intake
ZX Trans
Polini vari, clutch, springs
5.5 rollers
Malossi crank , CDI
Genuine Arrow pipe
Front and Rear disc brakes
Dio Live headset
Stretch and fatty rear wheel
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

Today I zip-tied the oil injector open and added a bit of oil to the gas tank. Also drained what looked to be the original transmission fluid and installed 9:1 gears. She should be cruisin' now!
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

It pays to read these posts. Gleaning info helps make just about anything painless.

Getting it right the first time: priceless

Good for you Ben! Enjoy the h e ll out of it!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

Today started transmission tuning. I started with the green clutch springs, went to yellow, then blue. I can't decide whether I like the yellow or blue better. I kept the blue springs in then installed the white contra that's supposed to be 7% stiffer. I know it takes awhile for the contras to break in so I'll put a few hundred miles on before switching to the blue. Then I guess I'll try both setups with the yellow clutch springs.

Is anybody running the red contra on a stock setup?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Couple of things on springs: If the clutch stall speed is too high, the variator will "shift" before the clutch engages, so you lose "low gear" and start off in "second".

The stock engine power peaks around 8 or 9K so a super-stiff contra will allow the engine to try to rev up beyond its useful range. You can lower the weights to stupid-low, like 6x4 grams, but then every time you cut the throttle it'll be back to revving too high. Stock engines like a middle-force contra and maybe 36-40 grams for best match to the engine's sweet spot. Your mileage may vary.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

Thanks for the tip! Right now I'm running the lighter rollers that come with the polini. Tomorrow I'll install the heavier ones and see what happens.
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

Well rain is in the forecast today so I forgot about the rollers and installed the JDM taillight that came from SSS yesterday! I plan to grind down the light tabs on the rack and re powdercoat it.

Before

After
Cmoped9
Spree
Spree

Post by Cmoped9 »

Really nice scooter! We must be searching the same craigslist to find scooters I just sold my old one and picked up a 2000 purple SR best part.. 1200 miles and only $600! I was curious as to how you put the gears in, do those have to be pressed in at a shop or can they be just put in by hand?
2000 Elite SR
Malossi Cast, 24mm Polini (36/110), 9.8 gears, Naraku intake, PG long exhaust, 6k yellow Polini clutch springs, 5g roller weights. Top speed: 60mph
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

Cmoped9 wrote:Really nice scooter! We must be searching the same craigslist to find scooters I just sold my old one and picked up a 2000 purple SR best part.. 1200 miles and only $600! I was curious as to how you put the gears in, do those have to be pressed in at a shop or can they be just put in by hand?
Awesome! The gears need to be removed from the scooter. Exhaust and rear wheel need to be removed to get the axle out. I brought my gears to work and it took about 5 minutes to press the old one out and new one in. Any machine shop should be able to do it for a few $$. If you are wanting to drive it same day make sure you order a transmission gasket ahead of time... just in case.
Cmoped9
Spree
Spree

Post by Cmoped9 »

Alright awesome, thanks, just curious how much it hurt the acceleration and what kind of speed you gain, not sure if it's worth losing the acceleration or not. Lots oh hills in my area, but lots of long flat 45 mph areas too.
2000 Elite SR
Malossi Cast, 24mm Polini (36/110), 9.8 gears, Naraku intake, PG long exhaust, 6k yellow Polini clutch springs, 5g roller weights. Top speed: 60mph
Ben L.
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ben L. »

I actually didn't notice any acceleration loss on either bike I installed them on. The Polini variator might be helping that too though.