Aero/Tact conversion

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

ped
CB900F
CB900F

Re: My 87 Aero/Tact conversion

Post by ped »

:nerd:
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
Armstrong1
BMX
BMX

Re: Aero/Tact conversion

Post by Armstrong1 »

Thanks Wheelieman, the pineapple juice can is unfortunately temporary until i decide whether to chop my oem stand or source a proper fitting kick stand.

17.5 Polini CP, supporting mods coming soon.

Armstrong1
BMX
BMX

Post by Armstrong1 »

Carb is fitted with a 90main and still dialing the low jet size. i shaved a hair from the variator drive boss. This drastically improved acceleration but i keep topping out 42-43mph. I'm really leaning towards 87 se50 gears for a click higher in mph.

I removed the pipe a couple weeks back and noticed some jingle noises from inside. I dumped pieces of a piston ring from the pipe and decided it was time for rings. upon cylinder removal i noticed the rings where still intact so the pieces from the exhaust must have been from the previous engine in Japan. I installed new rings and headgasket as i was already inside.

The Polini Choke cable is a great addition vs reaching under the plastics. This makes starting so much easier compared the the stock carb. It's also a breeze to swap out jets by adjusting the carb at a 45 degree angle then removing the bowl for access.

I previously ran an oem ruckus vari with good results. I've found a few threads but no definitive answer. Will a Ruckus polini perform better than an aero Polini Vari?

Forks and Wheels painted. I removed the blue exhaust tip as it's throwing off the color scheme. I'll more than likely paint it low glass black and reinstall.

Basket reinstalled
Armstrong1
BMX
BMX

Post by Armstrong1 »

The head gasket leaked at 9ft lbs, so i ordered a new gasket to try again. I dug up an old thread where wheelieman expirenced similar challenges and retorqed to 17 ftlbs. I ended up going with 13ftlbs. Further i had the head milled .025 so im anxious to see the results. I found a set of 87 se50 10:2 gear set (13th tooth) so I've installed those bad pup's. The OG's of the forumn will be glad to hear i've rejuvenated the suspension and lifted it to factory spec. Decided to bling out the exhaust tip with some fresh stainless hardware as well.

Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

She a going looking aero.. I'm trying to convert my to a tach were did u find those body panels?
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Polini-for-Ruckus variator has a 94mm diameter, which is 3 or 4mm more than the stock Ruckus item. This adds additional "overdrive" from the belt, with a potential increase in top speed if you tune correctly and the engine has the power to drive it. But beware of the possibility that your stock belt may bottom out at the rear pulley, possibly putting enough heat and stress on the belt to break it. You can test for this if you dismantle the rear pulley, remove the contra spring and evaluate the belt by hand - fully squeeze the assembled front variator and rolling the whole assembly - for enough length not to cram up against the clutch shaft. If it does, shop for a belt with the right width and angle dimensions but a few mm longer. Malossi made such a "special" belt at one time. There's also a 16mm Suzuki belt for some obscure European scooter that I made work at one time.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Armstrong1
BMX
BMX

Post by Armstrong1 »

@Peteyparado I find all my cool jdm bits on Yahoo Japan Auctions.
@wheelieman Thank you for clearing that up sir.

This last week has been busy. I picked up two 85 Aero's private party for a quick resto. Ran amazing with great compression at 5k miles. I built 1 good runner with the parts. A college kid know owns it.

I've seen this Elite50 FS on craigs for months. Itching to mod another bike a hit the dude up. We bs'd and i ended up getting the bike for $60 and a case of Coors. LOL i wanted to have a good story behind the bike. It's an 87 S so i really expected this model to have the desired 10:2 gears that are working phenomenal in my Tact btw. Turns out i revealed 12 tooth... Anywho my plan is full DJ1 fairings, i already had the dj1r wheels and brake panel left over from the af09 build so thats was cool. Great compression on this engine and surprisingly the interior fairings cleaned up very well with the heat gun treatment.

40mm Stage 6 shock extension with 3inch strech. Very excited to see how everything came together. Bikes running super well.

Classic craigslist pic. Things pictured in the listeing but not found where the cluster, carb, ignition, run switch, brake levers, and kickstart. I had to have the bike though, first elite i've touched.

Armstrong1
BMX
BMX

Post by Armstrong1 »

Here's an update on the DJ1. My goods from yahoo arrived so I was able to finally street test the bike after installing a working petcock. All the bike needs is a horn and gear the goes from speedo cable to gauge cluster. Everything else seems to work great including the Kenda rubbers.

Peteyparado
Spree
Spree

Post by Peteyparado »

Very nice
86 aero af16 swap. 121cc water cool.
Polini 30mm carb
Naraku mani
Scorpion stroker pipe
Stage6 CDI
5gram rollers
Keli high speed Variator
6.1 gears
94mph
S4Patrick
Elite
Elite

Post by S4Patrick »

Those bikes all look awesome......which bidding company do you use for the YahooJapan Auctions?
'87 Aero 50 STOCK (only 350miles)
'87 Aero (AF16 Corsa-PG-Short-OKO24mm-8.44)
'86 Aero (AF16 Corsa-SEF Black-OKO21mm-8.44)
'98 Live Dio ZX - 50th Anniversary Edition 68cc
'92 Super Dio ZX - AF18 Corsa

Visit: http://www.airtoolsforless.com
Gearhart
Spree
Spree

Post by Gearhart »

Where did you find those rear smile panels? I can't find any on Japan auctions
Gearhart
Spree
Spree

Post by Gearhart »

Where did you find those rear smile panels? I can't find any on Japan auctions
Armstrong1
BMX
BMX

Post by Armstrong1 »

S4Patrick wrote:Those bikes all look awesome......which bidding company do you use for the YahooJapan Auctions?

Thank you, i use buyee. it's the easiest from my experience.

So here's an update:

Slammed the DJ1 and sold to friend who's using it for a parts/grub runner for their Boat shop. Ruck Vari 40mph+ great bike, i still get to ride it :) Only lame thing was my Knees would alway hit the front plastics.

Converted the Tact back to stock and posted it for sale. I really nice guy from MI purchased it and it's currently in transit to it's new owner. This bike ran so great all stock with metro wheels and ruck vari. so clean learned everything i know about scooter on this bike.

New Build:
I ended up with a spree AFTER sourcing some jdm fairings first. I decided to swap my beefy af05e onto it. Ordered a few goodies from Bmoney also. just want the lightest bike for my setup. The fairing make it all worth while imo or i would have kept the Tact.

Last edited by Armstrong1 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Armstrong1
BMX
BMX

Post by Armstrong1 »

Gearhart wrote:Where did you find those rear smile panels? I can't find any on Japan auctions

i import a lot of car parts from Japan and one of my sources happen to have smile plastics so i swooped!
z50 chopper
Goped
Goped

Post by z50 chopper »

awesome conversion. I am a newb on here and just picked up an aero and a spree last night.