'92 Dio SR Build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Re: '92 Dio SR Build

Post by Hksdio »

Ok so i managed to remove the variator and clutch with an impact drill.

The clutch seems to be glazed as its very smooth, is this normal or has the 20+ years been unkind to the material?

Lastly the belt i ordered seems to be wrong, its 1.5x the width of the old belt and the teeth are much larger.

This is how the belt sits, does this seem fine? It was definitely listed for my model.

Now im thinking i may need a new clutch before running the new engine in once done. On a good note taz's kit should arrive this week!
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Try hitting the clutch with a little sandpaper. The belt looks good, Im not 100% sure but I would say the old one has been worn alot. Make sure when putting your variator back on not to pintch the spilines. Pull the belt tight jn the clutch down to the center to give slack and hand tight3n the variator making sure it gets in the splines or you can crush them. Trust me its no fun when you do.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

I would lightly sand it and use a little brake cleaner on it and make sure the inside of the bell is good. if you plan on replacing both, which is what pretty much everyone does, just make the inside of the bell a nasty torn up surface and your clutch will grip good and last you through break in that way when your fully broken in you can dumb the clutch and bell and buy a better set up. I mean there is nothing wrong with the stock setup for a 80~cc or so build but it will have to be replaced with a honda or better clutch weight set, so why not put a better bell or do the zx mod. Also be easy with the impact on these motors, they may be able to take it but don't over do it more then necessary or try to use a socket wrench to tighten the bolts. sometimes you can mess up those bearings. Also, when you goto put your clutch back on make sure no dirt or grime is in the pully or in the bell. if you wanna keep the bell make sure its even and shiny. if its jagged and or unevenly worn check for play in the shaft, it could need replacing.

I hope this information helps, I know some of it may not pertain to you, but hopefully others reading this can make more sense of what is going on.

- Jumps

Edit: I also have to say again you take extraordinary amazing pictures.
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

MrJumps wrote:Try hitting the clutch with a little sandpaper. The belt looks good, Im not 100% sure but I would say the old one has been worn alot. Make sure when putting your variator back on not to pintch the spilines. Pull the belt tight jn the clutch down to the center to give slack and hand tight3n the variator making sure it gets in the splines or you can crush them. Trust me its no fun when you do.
Are are talking about the roller that goes inside the variator? That can pinch the spline? Or the drive plate in front of the variator? Thanks
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

Thanks for the advice and compliment jumps!
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Hksdio wrote:
MrJumps wrote:Try hitting the clutch with a little sandpaper. The belt looks good, Im not 100% sure but I would say the old one has been worn alot. Make sure when putting your variator back on not to pintch the spilines. Pull the belt tight jn the clutch down to the center to give slack and hand tight3n the variator making sure it gets in the splines or you can crush them. Trust me its no fun when you do.
Are are talking about the roller that goes inside the variator? That can pinch the spline? Or the drive plate in front of the variator? Thanks

The drive plate, it loves to nom up those splines on the shaft. :naughty:

But anyway welcome for the compliments you deserve them you put work into something you should always get a equal or oppisite response. In this case you are doing amazingly well, I dont know if this is your first scooter but your flying through this.
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

I am not young at 28 and although i have worked on many cars this is my first scooter. Its exciting but also overwhelming because i don't want to mess it up.

Now i have 9 to 1 gears coming but am unsure if i should use them since i am worried the bike will become slower than it could be, opinions?
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

graphite9 wrote:belt looks too wide. It looks like it might be for a zx drive? Ordering belts is a gamble. Mrjumps is right that clutch looks really glossed over.
Might need to organise a belt with those front panels!
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

If your running tazlands bbk or the 50mm bore those 9:1 gears ive been told dont lose much low end but add a ton top end. Stock gears I know will make it a wheelie machine.
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

update!

received the kit from taz.

here you can see the size difference of the pistons
(NOTE: i will admit i did install the piston backwards but luckily picked up on it and installed it correctly.)

I then set about installing the piston, firstly i lubed the rings and the piston and installed the rings, i then lubed the small crank bearing and circlips (which i had to do by hand and alot of swearing, i have no idea how people do this with needle nose pliers.

i then installed the piston, cylinder and head.

i did try the torque wrench but i then put it aside and went by feel being careful not to overtighten.

lets pray that she runs, i still need to do the gears and am awaiting an alternator before it will be installed back in the dio.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Make sure to buy a oil pump delete plug, you dont wanna run that oil pump on that bbk. It will run too lean, if you wanna run it you can mix fuel but jetting will be tricky. I never wanted to do a oil plug delete but premix is the safest way on a bbk. Thats also the same kit im getting too, tazland sells good quality stuff.
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

Thanks sss.

Jumps, id love to delete the pump and premix but i have beard it may melt the piston on downhill or something along those lines?
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Hksdio wrote:Thanks sss.

Jumps, id love to delete the pump and premix but i have beard it may melt the piston on downhill or something along those lines?
The main jet and pilot jet still give fuel and oil, thats why when people race dirtbikes they feather the throttle. Trust me your gonna wanna run the premix over pump. wheelman and 9g will be able to give a 100% to back up or correct me.

also how many miles where on that stock topend? looks like new.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

The oil pump won't deliver enough oil premix is the safest course of action. It's easy enough I keep an old bottle my boys used that has measurements with me under my seat. It's the best way to make sure your running the right mix. Looks great so far
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Rip_City_Spree wrote:The oil pump won't deliver enough oil premix is the safest course of action. It's easy enough I keep an old bottle my boys used that has measurements with me under my seat. It's the best way to make sure your running the right mix. Looks great so far
You need to put apiculture of the bottle on your scoot in the sig haha X3