'92 Dio SR Build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Hksdio
Spree
Spree

'92 Dio SR Build

Post by Hksdio »

Appreciate all the advice i have recieved from this forum so far, so thought i should make a build thread.

I originally was looking for the Yamaha beewee but the prices were a bit more than i wanted to spend ($2000+ AUD)

Then by chance i came across a Dio SR for sale very very cheap about 1 hour away.

The color scheme being how it is made it impossible to pass up.

I went to look at it and being my first experience with 2 strokes i was very dissapointed, but thanks to google i knew it had potential so i made the guy a offer and took it home.

As you can see the dio has seen better days, it wouldnt go past 35km/h when i first picked it up. Some amateur carb tuning and now she does 55km/h (it turns out she was running Very rich)

so i got to part hunting and list making, luckily found webike as yahoo auctions shipping tends to be alot.

i placed an order for a new seat, new tail light lense, a few filters, front forks and a belt.

Very impressed with webikes service and shipping costs/time.

but because i didnt double check the order i got the wrong seat :roll:

the wheels and forks being rusty and ugly needed to be fixed, i binned the forks and for the wheels i used a metal brush drill attachment and removed all the rust and the majority of the paint.

I then primed, painted and cleared, but then it occured to me that "Polar White" isnt really that polar.

But the paint job wasn't overly bad and i decided it will have to do for a while.

I am now working on the rear tail light, as seen in this photo (Not my dio) some countries including mine decided the oem dio taillight wasnt enough and made it a "dummy" light. adding a huge ugly assembly.

so i have ordered a jdm tailight and will delete the whole rack assembly.

updates as they come. :peace:
Last edited by Hksdio on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just Joel
Goped
Goped

Re: '92 Dio SR Build

Post by Just Joel »

Very cool
84 Honda Spree... The plastic at least.
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

I don't know if you can see but I destroyed my front panel unloading it from a ute.

im on the lookout for a black panel, if it has the graphics then even better.

could we price it up?
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

Big help graphite!

Regarding the transmission hole at the top of the case, mine currently hose no hose, is this nessesary?
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

Thanks sss!

Update, my most recent webike order came in.

Alba exhaust, alba gaskets & a few plugs.

I really did want a nicer exhaust but i live in the cbd and my poor scooter would be taken of the road in no time.
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

Removed the engine ready for rebuild. If anyone has any suggestions for adjustable rear shocks in fitting colors let me know. Im almost certain this was an outdoor bike, ill be cleaning the dried mud/gunk from this for a week.

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

You take some amazing photos... but truly a pretty find. Cant wait to see it built up.
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

Thanks mrjumps.

Sss, pm'd!
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

FILTHY

wire brush + degreaser...

In bigger news i made a purchase with Tazland, id like to thank him publicy for going above and beyond with my enquires. Very impressed.
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

Finished cleaning up the engine with the drill.

Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

made my first major mistake...

Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

So in preparation for the rebuild i went out and purchased a new torque wrench, the one i have for the car doesnt do the low numbers that the dio needs.

So i set the torque to 7nm and tested it on the head studs, i then snapped the stud. I suspect its faulty so i will return it and see what they can do. Funnily enough this was a well regarded brand wrench and my cheap ebay one for the car has never let me down.

bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I have heard of this many times, so I don't worry about the 7 pounds torque, what you can do is tighten the head bolts in sequence(crossing pattern)progressively until you feel them evenly tightened down but not to break them off. Yours may have bottomed out and caused the broken bolt, who really knows? Perhaps use a thin washer under the head next time?
You can ask the forum if there is another method being used but that's what I do......
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

thanks! I exchanged the wrench today and the new one works fine so ill follow the torque settings when rebuilding.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Hksdio wrote:thanks! I exchanged the wrench today and the new one works fine so ill follow the torque settings when rebuilding.
If you are going to use a torque wrench then I would use new bolts. Good luck!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861