'99 Dio SR

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Ultraliner

'99 Dio SR

Post by Ultraliner »

Was lucky enough to win this on an online auction site last weekend, '99 Dio SR with 1500km's on the odo with a rego for only $325!!

Had a couple of minor issues, one of which seems to be carb related and took a bit of figuring out. Starts and idles fine but would bog down and not rev out properly from about 1/3 to WOT and would pour smoke out the back big time. Luckily it came with quite a few spares and after building up 1 good carb from 2 and putting in a new plug its about 80% better and is at least rideable.

Still has a slight hesitation occasionally from about half throttle to WOT... I'm over playing with these old carbs so am thinking its probably best to ditch them and go aftermarket

What would you guys suggest as a good option for an aftermarket carb that will run the stock engine fine but could also be retuned and rejetted at a later stage should I go down the track of throwing on a BBK(which I no doubt will)

Fallen head over heels for the disk front end too!! :naughty:
Attachments
20160109_165749.jpg resized.jpg
20160109_165749.jpg resized.jpg (249.56 KiB) Viewed 12868 times
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Re: '99 Dio SR

Post by Hksdio »

Nice find! I picked up mine about the same price here is aus.

Mine was acting exactly the same when i first got it. Turns out it was running super rich.
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

Love that bike.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Thanks for the advice Graphite, makes alot of sense when you put it that way. I'm wanting to get it running 100% to know what im working with, just can be very frustrating trying to get there! I know its running slightly rich but still having a bit of trouble pinpointing it

Hksdio, how did you resolve the running rich issue with your one? Not a bad price to get one for, good ones over here that are road legal usually start at around $800 and can go for anywhere up around $1500 for a later model with disk brake, pretty pleased with what I got. Also came with a spare complete AF18 bottom end and a few other random bits which is pretty cool

Off on holiday tomorrow for a week so any tinkering will be on hold for awhile
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

Hey buddy,

Yeah it did fix 80%, but sti had sputters at wot.

Im in the process of rebuilding to a 90cc atm.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

What if it's not just the carb?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Thats a good point Wheelman, just got home and am planning to drain and replace the fuel and 2 stroke oil for new(hopefully tomorrow)as i'm not sure of the age of the gas and know bad gas can cause all sorts of issues.

I can put my finger over the airbox intake when its running and it dies in a matter of seconds so am pretty confident there are no air leaks on the intake side.

Also have a new air filter element on order and will throw that in when it arrives

Might pull the flywheel and do a bit of cleaning on the electrics just to make sure everything is looking good there too ;)

What 90cc BBK are you installing Hksdio? Would be keen on keeping up with your progress
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I recommend you hold off pulling the flywheel. For one thing, it seldom goes bad. For another, returning it to its position is tricky. If all else fails, have a look there but don't pull it until then.

Gasoline, Air filter replacement, compression check, exhaust de-gumming and carb/fuel system review, in that order, are what I recommend. This is because you want to do the EASY things first.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

graphite9 wrote:
Hksdio wrote:Hey buddy,

Yeah it did fix 80%, but sti had sputters at wot.

Im in the process of rebuilding to a 90cc atm.

you mean 82cc. Actually 81.2cc :smile:
:(

Is the flywheel the thing that sits behind the fan but over the stator? If so i have removed mine but was planning on just plopping it back on?
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

Hey sss,

Does the flywheel need to be put back on a certain way?
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Had a few too many glasses of wine on Saturday night and didnt feel like doing much on Sunday but got into it tonight and drained all the old fluids.

Interestingly the 2 stroke oil looked very thin and almost watery to me. Pretty sure its not meant to be super thick but still didnt look quite right.

Also noticed the airbox filled with heaps of small particles of the slowly decaying old air filter element. I cleaned this all out when I first started playing with it so will leave it until the new element arrives... Cant be helping much!

I'll follow Wheelman's advice and hold off pulling the flywheel until i've done everything else and see if it sorts itself out.

I thought the flywheels were keyed onto the crank? If so pulling it off and getting it back on properly shouldnt be too much of a major?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The old stock air filter material deteriorates with time and crumbles. The crumbs can foul reeds and stall the engine - this happened to Flash 3 - and strand you. No telling what happens when the debris goes through Combustion. Noisy makes a great replacement out of tougher stuff.

Yes there's a Woodruff key on the flywheel, but getting it back on is careful work with a torque wrench. It's not that easy to get it perfect and afterwards it can go wrong. There's a certain security in Factory installation. If it is unlikely to fail, why remove it?
Wheelman-111
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

I get that Wheelman, If it aint broke dont go fixing it!

Turns out the guy I bought the filter element off is a motorcycle mechanic who mostly works on scooters and has refurbished and sold quite a few Dio's. Filter didnt get picked up by the courier yesterday and after some email convo regarding getting my Dio running properly he's thrown a new fuel filter in the bag too, top man!

I had a bit of time up my sleeve last night and was bored so decided to have an exhaust BBQ ;)
Attachments
Pipe BBQ2.jpg
Pipe BBQ2.jpg (134.58 KiB) Viewed 12320 times
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

What, no marshmallows?
Wheelman-111
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Yuss new air and fuel filters turned up today. Hopefully will be able to throw it back together over the weekend with a cleaned out pipe, new fluids, a few tweaks of the carb and we should be in business!!

I'll save the marshmallows till we're all up and running Wheelman ;)