'99 Dio SR

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Ultraliner

Re: '99 Dio SR

Post by Ultraliner »

This thing is pretty much as far as i'll go with the current motor setup, aside from a new belt at some stage. I have only good things to say about the 50mm kit, so if you are patient, prepared to put in a bit of detail work before installing and are pretty thorough with your initial tuning/CHT monitoring and adjusting jets/needle positions to get the best performance and temps then it's a great way to start out.

I live close by an 80km/h stretch of road and although the speedo maxes out at 60 I can keep up with the cars no problem.

Front suspension upgrade was necessary too. Was like riding a pogo stick on the old front shocks.
Attachments
15659001_1312617038761235_661766253_o.jpg
15659001_1312617038761235_661766253_o.jpg (41.57 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
Ultraliner

Re: '99 Dio SR

Post by Ultraliner »

FINALLY got around to getting a new belt and installed it one night last week. Annoyingly after doing so and attempting to go for a ride my scoot was sputtering, wouldn't rev properly and would only get up to speed unless I feathered the smeg out of the throttle, and even once I had been going at a decent speed awhile it was the same after trying to accelerate away from a standstill.

I figured that since the belt was the only thing i'd messed with that maybe it was binding somewhere or that i'd put the clutch bell or clutch back on wrong(pretty hard to mess up I know)but still something was very wrong.

Pulled everything down today and rechecked it, and as I suspected everything looked fine. I figured after running the scoot on the stand that it was hella rich, sputtering and smoking like a steam train so decided to pull the carb and give it a d*** good seeing to

Reassembled everything, started it up and it STILL is running like a pig!! Attempted to take it for a ride, STILL no good. Pulled the air cleaner cover off, started it and it ran a whole lot better so figured out it must be miles too rich. I pulled the restrictor pipe out of the airbox and went for yet another small ride. Ran better but was still very ill - and by this stage my sanity is really starting to be tested.

Pulled the air cleaner cover off once again to confirm that it would run better with less intake restriction and something in the pic below caught my eye...

Coincidences do happen gentleman, and they can drive you to near madness when they do!!
Attachments
20170218_204358.jpg
20170218_204358.jpg (112.98 KiB) Viewed 2912 times