'99 Dio SR

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Re: '99 Dio SR

Post by Hksdio »

Hey ultraliner. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

If you need more filters i have a few kitaco ones which i wont be using and will sell. From what i have seen you nz guys have alot better selection of parts for the dio than we do in oz. Lucky
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Yuss had a pretty successful day today, put everything back together, new gas and oil, recleaned the carb and fitted the new air filter and she RUNS!! :smile:

It was a bit lumpy the first few minutes of running and I suspect still slightly too rich but its now definitely revving at full noise when the throttle is fully open. Pity it was just on dark as I fired it up, very much looking forward to going for a ride tomorrow!

One issue iv'e noticed is that when I leave it sitting at idle for a few minutes then try and hit full throttle it wont rev out properly and smokes up at the back(much the same as it was doing before)but after 20 - 30 secs and a few twists of the throttle it goes back to revving out fine, which is why i'm thinking it still might be a fraction too rich... Possibly fouling up the plug a bit when idling and taking a good few seconds to burn itself clean once revving again?

I could have kicked my own a#@e today too, after getting Mrs Ultraliner and her 20/20 eyesight to read the numbers on the carb jets I discovered the main in the carb I was using was a #88. I had a #75A in one of the spare carbs so am now running proper factory settings... A very amateur mistake for a very amateur 2 stroke hobby mechanic ha!

Cool cheers Hks, I'll keep you in mind for another filter. Honda over here dont carry too many parts for Dio's anymore but there are a few on online auction sites selling most things you could need. Had a few dealings with a motorcycle mechanic in Christchurch who carries alot of spares, very handy man to have come across ;)
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

Ultraliner. Pm me if you come across any black front panels please
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Hksdio wrote:Ultraliner. Pm me if you come across any black front panels please
PM'd ;)
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Went out for a test ride last night and put my first 10 k's or so on the clock. I live in a hilly suburb so got in a pretty even mix of hills and flat ground and am really impressed with the way it's running now.

Pulls pretty hard from standstill up to about 45km/h and am getting a top speed of between 55 - 60km/h on any semi decent length bit of flat ground which from what i've read is pretty much the average for a standard Dio ;)

When I bought the bike it came with a spare frame for a 1993 Dio with a live registration(which will be getting sold)and also a spare AF18 bottom end which the guy I bought it off told me has run one of the main bearings.

I've noticed the spare bottom end has a larger diameter output shaft where the variator and drive face mount up. The drive face from the spare wont fit on the engine currently in the bike. Is this pretty common? Some versions of the AF18 have different cranks?

I plan to strip the spare and find out whats wrong with it and use that as a base for building up something that'll get down the road a bit quicker than the current setup :smile:
Hksdio
Spree
Spree

Post by Hksdio »

You are getting good speed for stock bike. Mine topped out at 45 but was running very old fuel and tune was off.

You are lucky to have a spare block. Im planning to get another af18 to build a stroker once my current engine is finished and in.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

UltraLiner axt-ed:
Is this pretty common? Some versions of the AF18 have different cranks?
Never have I personally owned an AF18, but from reading here apparently Honda went to a smaller-diameter output crank-end for the first year of production. Stuff for an Aero (Vision? in UK/NZ?) should fit, knowing Honda's tendency to re-use parts. Evidently they went back to full-size (Same as AF16) crank ends after the first year. This would explain why the variator/drive face won't interchange.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Thanks Wheelman,

After checking both motors out it would seem all the variator parts are interchangeable except the smaller diameter shaft center bush has a smaller hole as does the ramp plate and drive face. Otherwise everything else is 100% exactly the same.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

I went ahead and ordered a new set of mirrors off Webike last Thursday night and they arrived today, 5 days from Japan to New Zealand is pretty darn awesome! Might be able to go for a semi decent ride tonight after work, still feel more than a little nervous about not being able to see what is coming up behind me ;)
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Never look back. That's my motto.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

I dont go fast enough yet to not have to worry about whats coming up behind me... Will build something up over the winter to get going a bit quicker, still doing alot of reading on here to get an idea of what I want ;)
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

"What is behind-a me is not important."
Ferrucio Lamborghini
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Compression test it, best way to know is it is a bad bore or not.
Never mind ignore me I didn't see the second and third page, I will reframe from using the internet when I just wake up.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Haha I like it!!

Shes been up and running for a good few weeks now and have put about 50km's on it, mostly fanging around in the evenings after work

Still dosent rev properly for a good 5 minutes after being cold started but goes like the 50cc rocket it is when its warm ;)

Planning on building something up over the fast approaching winter here, my recent need to spend money on my cursed hot water system kinda put the brakes on my plans darn it!!
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Had a few little bits of bling bling show up today

Starting to get pretty cold in the evenings here now, wont be too many more riding nights left

Will have to get the remaining bits in and start putting this beast together :D
Attachments
Bling.jpg
Bling.jpg (162.83 KiB) Viewed 8813 times