'99 Dio SR

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Ultraliner

Re: '99 Dio SR

Post by Ultraliner »

Had this stuff turn up last week... Will be nice to be able to get along a bit quicker finally! :lol:
Attachments
AF18 Parts.jpg
AF18 Parts.jpg (183.02 KiB) Viewed 10733 times
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Noice!

Gonna port anything?
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Dbroogs
Goped
Goped

Post by Dbroogs »

I may be mistaken but spewing smoke and slow starts are signs of a leaky oil pump. Best way to know for sure is if it is harder to start the longer it sits, aka the longer the oil is leaking. My scoot has the same problem so i just bought the plug.
'96 Elite (57MPH)
Malossi cast iron 72cc
Stock setup: 6g rollers, 90MJ
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Thanks Dbroogs, I had this epiphany the other night while reading elsewhere on here and would agree that it would seem the oil pump is leaking down. Starts and idles fine but wont rev properly for a couple of minutes but once clear it's 100% fine.

Wont be a problem as of next week once I get the above gear built up, installed and running ;)

Pretty sure the boost port has been enlarged by the previous owner Mr J. I had the luxury of getting a spare AF18 bottom end when I bought the scoot so can build this up on the bench while keeping the stock one running ;)
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Decided to attack the bore and piston with a file and some sandpaper to chamfer all the sharp edges nicely. If it means things might last alot longer then taking half an hour or so to tidy them up seems like a pretty good idea
Attachments
20160604_122630.jpg
20160604_122630.jpg (99.91 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
20160604_133927.jpg
20160604_133927.jpg (108.77 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Cylinder ports got a going over too ;)
Attachments
20160604_124158.jpg
20160604_124158.jpg (75.93 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
20160604_132615.jpg
20160604_132615.jpg (95.75 KiB) Viewed 10702 times
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

FINALLY got everything together, in and running this afternoon!

Not long finished heat cycle No 1, everything is looking and sounding pretty good so far

I ended up making my own CHT probe washer. What is the best method to hold the end of the thermocouple hard against the copper upstand?
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Seems to be running all fine at the moment but haven't really done anything too strenuous. My CHT washer looks pretty average but works just fine. Also have had some bigger mains arrive and am trying to find a source for pilots.

Highest temp i've seen is about 285 using a #88 main with the needle in the highest position, stock airbox and exhaust, again tho, have been taking it pretty easy ;)
Attachments
20160614_193606.jpg
20160614_193606.jpg (116.73 KiB) Viewed 10646 times
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Have been playing with jets and needle clip positions on and off for the last couple of weeks now and have hit a pretty sweet spot with a #92 main and needle in the middle position. Waiting for the supplier to get me a #90 in so I can try it with the needle a little higher. Still using the stock #35 pilot and stock airbox.

Highest temp i've seen was just over 320f after a fairly hard uphill ride up to my house

Pretty impressed with how this thing buries the speedo now, really starts to come on song after about 35 - 40 km/h :D

Next step is to do a bit of drivetrain work/tuning and possibly open up the airbox a little ;)
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

I finally got some free time, received and installed the #90 main today. Was running a #92 with the needle clip in the centre for a few weeks and the scoot was always a MAJOR pain to start when cold, would take ages for it to clear and start running and idling properly. Once it was warm and had been revved out it would idle, run and ride fine. Top temps seen were about 330f

Put the #90 in and set the clip to the lowest position and it's like a TOTALLY different scoot! Started after 3 or 4 kicks, idled and revved out pretty much as soon as it started. No bogging, excessive smoking or hesitation and preforms like a trooper!

Went for a quick run tonight, initially taking it pretty easy watching temps(which were way lower). Eventually got to the point where i put in a couple of semi decent WOT long runs. Where I was getting up around 320f before with the #92, doing the exact same thing with the #90 is only getting up around 240 - 250f which is quite a bit cooler. Hitting up around the 75km/h mark im guessing but need to use my phone GPS to verify this

I'm no expert here but it would seem that the richer mixture is nowhere near as efficent at cooling. The reduction in temp definitely surprised me the most :surprise:

The engine really starts to pull at about 45km/h all the way up to the point where I chicken out and back off the throttle. Time to grab a new belt and do a bit of trans tuning.

Any suggestions on how to bring up the 'off the line' engagement point(stiffer clutch springs/lighter vari weights?)would be greatly appreciated!

If you are looking for some entry level, cost effective gear and are prepared to put in a bit of finishing work I highly recommend Taz's 50mm and gear upgrade kit. A HUGE increase on a stock motor for relatively low cost ;)
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Heres some starting point tuning ive done that you can maybe base ur tuning on for better bottom end.

Bike 1.
5.5 g weights, polini yellow clutch springs, malossi yellow contra.

Bike 2.
6.5 g weights, polini blue clutch springs, polini blue contra.

All the rpm info for clutch and contra springs is on scooterswapshop website.

Both bikes rocket off the line and pull the front tire to, or past 12 o clock (depending how long u hold it lol)@ 1/4 throttle. Someone once told me, get the tranny to where it accelerates smooth all the way up with no lag spots, if there is, play with the roller weights.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Ultraliner wrote: i tell yah when you get free time its nice to work on your bike right. Its even better to ride it but I dont know anything abou that.

If you are looking for some entry level, cost effective gear and are prepared to put in a bit of finishing work I highly recommend Taz's 50mm and gear upgrade kit. A HUGE increase on a stock motor for relatively low cost ;)

I also highly agree with this. Just take your time I rushed through it and may have ruined my bore.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Thanks for the info Melo, ima gonna get a weight set in and probably a new vari... The stock one i'm running has seen a fair few miles and looks pretty worn

This is true Mr J, tho I know you have some possible deck height issues with your bottom end which adds a whole other dynamic to getting things setup and tuned right. Would be sweet if you get your setup dialled in and running reliably. It would seem people have mixed feelings when it comes to these Taiwan bores but my experience has been nothing but positive ;)

I dont have a small set of scales on hand, does anyone happen to know the weight of the stock Honda black variator weights?
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Black ones?

I've only seen the whitish-clearish ones, and I've weighed them at 9g,11g,and 12g from different bikes.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

I havent updated this in awhile. FINALLY got around to playing with the vari weights. The ones that were in there were the white ones and they have seen a fair few miles(lots of flat spots and very used looking)

I had a second set that came in a parts box when I bought the scoot which are in better condition but heavier than the worn ones.

Currently am running 4 black weights in the vari and have seen a pretty positive result in more linear acceleration. I really need to grab a scale and weigh them all so I know what i'm working with.

Ordered a new set of front shocks today. The existing ones are shot and feel like your arms are going to be hammered off with every bump.

I've also noticed a couple of differences with the 2 clutches I have relating to total pad surface area contacting the bell. Will post up a pic when I get a chance