The World at 37mph, or The Journey of My 87 Aero

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

kjkenney
Goped
Goped

The World at 37mph, or The Journey of My 87 Aero

Post by kjkenney »

So about two years ago my friend was moving here from AZ to OH. Right before he left he found a mint 86 Aero to replace his dilapidated Aero he found in a woman's garage he was doing work for. He was moving cross country in a pickup so could really only take one, the new one. I traded him a guitar amp for the beater and it's been an obsession ever since!! Last six months have been full force in trying to get this bruiser where it needs to be. Still a few more things to go, but since the wiring has been figured out and it's now running really solid, I'm just waiting on ignition in the mail and will take care of a couple more aesthetic details. Since about August I have replaced, or just added because it wasn't there, the following:

-tires
-tubes
-petcock (was broken and gas was pumping through to the exhaust, oof)
-front brakes
-rear brakes
-front brake lever and cable
-speedo cable
-front blinker bulbs/lenses
-rear combo light
-cleaned the carb about 12 different times before getting the pilot jet clear and usable
-new battery
- new front panel
-new floorboard
-side panel (was given one with bike)
-turn signal relay
-new speedo display and switches
-disassembled and cleaned push button start
-cleaned starter relay
-rewired some chewed up bits (hopefully a critter and not a person)
-new kick-start
-new grips
-mirrors
-new ignition
-oem airbox to replace uni filter setup
-SSS exhaust
-ruckus variator
-learned tons about wiring and tons about carburetors
-the service manual is now my top read of all time

Upon receipt:

Now:
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: The World at 37mph, or The Journey of My 87 Aero

Post by MrJumps »

Thatblooks fresh off the showroom floor.
kjkenney
Goped
Goped

Post by kjkenney »

Thanks! It's definitely getting there. I haven't painted the panel with the logo on it as I want to find a way to preserve it. Does anyone know if these can be found still, oem or repro? The only one I could find on eBay were glittery ones, hah.

Also found a good main street with a huge bike lane and got this beast up to about 43 yesterday. Seems I need to rejet with the new exhaust tho. I have to back off wot slightly to pick up more speed once I hit about 30.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Ya you'll need to upjet, lemme kno if you wanna try I still got some jets for my factory carb I'm not using.
kjkenney
Goped
Goped

Post by kjkenney »

Yeah I might be interested! I need to take apart the carb, but when I was getting this up and running again I took it apart so many d*** times I've been putting it off. Do you know the stock size? Also, it seems just going up one size at a time is preferred yeah? Thanks benji!
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Wow, its night and day, nice work! I love the 2 tone head set and the grips. Im all about the little touches. I purchased that same seat hoping it would fit my 88' lx, but it didnt. Havnt posted it, but its for sale if your interested pm me.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I think the stock sizes vary, ithink 78 and 82? I put a 86 in my stock af05 and it seems to lean up top. The big change for you is probably the needle clip position. That effects your midrange most I think.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Nice grips!
kjkenney
Goped
Goped

Post by kjkenney »

Haha people notice the grips a lot. Cheap eBay find for about 14 shipped. They have different colors and they fit pretty well. It's been cold lately and my arthritis has been acting up so it may be a few days before I pull the carb apart, but besides getting the rear combo light lens , the carb is the last thing I need to tune up before I'm considering this guy done. I'll hit you up when I get there benji, you've already made this bike a lot happier with the exhaust and vari :)
kjkenney
Goped
Goped

Post by kjkenney »

Also got the ignition in. Had to take apart the start switch and blast it with some contact cleaner and a brush. Starts no problem now, way happy to have that, this has purely been kick start for the longest time. Took the mirrors off yesterday as well, the left mirror loosens with the way the wind blows it...odd design :) the threaded sockets are a little rusty so will need to clean those and maybe blue loctite them in there
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Yeah exhaust and variator opened mine up quite a bit. Also, the oil pump delete is a good one for that motor. Mind seems much happier after I did it. When you get the rear combo lens, don't put a regular bulb behind it use an LED. Regular bulbs are too warm and seem to melt it. Yeah the stock mirrors's like to play around with the wind haha.
kjkenney
Goped
Goped

Post by kjkenney »

Bumping for insight...the last annoyance before I tear the carb apart and rejet is with my kickstand scraping on turns. It's more than likely the original one but it's bent here and there so it's scraping. Are there alternatives if I were to remove it? Like an easy side stand MOD? Would just remove it but I use it for running errands and whatnot in my hood so having no stand at all isn't much of an option...any insight from the gurus? Thanks!
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I don't have one, I use a neverdull can or a brick to lean it on at home, and lean it up against stuff out in the world. But I'm sure you can modify a bicycle kick stand or get one of the universal Scooter stands. Taking off the stand was a notable improvement in handling on my bike.
kjkenney
Goped
Goped

Post by kjkenney »

Still living with the kickstand..haven't had much time for upgrades but a five minute one came in the mail. A Honda vision rear combo lights lens, all one piece instead of the two on the oem one for the Aero
JoshKamp330
Noob
Noob

Post by JoshKamp330 »

Hey Kyle, it's me from Ohio

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see this. It's looking great