1987 Elite 50 S (SE50) freshen up

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Re: 1987 Elite 50 S (SE50) freshen up

Post by Kustomkarma »

Looks almost exactly like my SE50. I'm currently doing a refresh on mine as well. While you've got it all apart, you might want to consider cleaning and repacking your headset bearings if you haven't already. My top ones were full of greasy crud and the bottoms were completely dry.
travis789
BMX
BMX

Post by travis789 »

That is an excellent idea, but considering I failed to do it before reassembling the p.i.t.a instrument cluster, I think I'll save it for next time.I rode it around tentatively after installing the new piston and the front end felt ok. Doing it your way would probably save me from having to buy a set of headset bearings down the road, however. Hmmm. Considering it...
travis789
BMX
BMX

Post by travis789 »

Finished up the wiring harness this evening, the turn signal switch is a little sticky, but all lights work! (Except tag light bulb, its burnt out)
travis789
BMX
BMX

Post by travis789 »

Also installed the front panel, inner panel and glove box, and replacing the left turn signal lense
travis789
BMX
BMX

Post by travis789 »

I found this variator from an earlier scooter that I had, it was a chinese 50cc four stroke jonway. Will this fit in this honda? I guess I'll find out when I replace the crankshaft seals tomorrow
travis789
BMX
BMX

Post by travis789 »

replaced the crank seals tonight and it looks like it was a good idea.

The variator looked like it was full of grease, but it smelled strongly of gas. Also the weights are round? Not pointed rollers. And I don't know if I need to get rid of the thing on the back that keeps the back on to derestrict? I probably need a new variator and weights. The 'high performance' one I have pictured above doesn't move freely, even after sandblasting it
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Clean out the grease completely and remove the back plate and screws, worked well for me. I guess most weights are round, and some like the dr. Pulley ones are kinda pointed. I don't kno what's better.
travis789
BMX
BMX

Post by travis789 »

benji wrote:Clean out the grease completely and remove the back plate and screws, worked well for me. I guess most weights are round, and some like the dr. Pulley ones are kinda pointed. I don't kno what's better.
Thank you for the reply. I took a test ride last night and the scooter is having trouble getting out of its own way. Some times it bogs when I open the throttle, some times it doesn't. I looked at the Koso hi performance variator again and noticed I had the red plastic back-plate guides on backwards. After installing them in the correct orientation, it works as it should. I bought that variator for a qmb 50cc several years ago so I'm not sure if it will work. Today I'm going to compare it to the oem one. I also plan to check the carb again and fuel delivery system. If I have to use the oem variator I'll make sure I didn't get those back plate guides in backwards since they fell out and I just stuck them back on. Also remove the backing plate.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I think qmb stuff fits ruckus so it should fit ours too. The cvt is a big one on these scoots-get acquinted w it. You can completely change the way it rides w some weights, clutch springs and torque spring.
travis789
BMX
BMX

Post by travis789 »

I forgot I had a prior engagement for Motorama today. I cleaned the carb again and fuel flow from the tank is good. I moved the clip on the needle and made it richer, and it really seemed to help it for about 5 minutes, then it was back to the bogging down when opening the throttle. Hopefully I can cure it with the variator, because everything else is new: Piston, rings, bore, reeds cleaned and adjusted, new gaskets, new plug, wiring harness with dielectric grease on every fitting. Might have some time to look at it tomorrow.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

If it's an intermittent problem, then it could be probs w the variator but more than likely you need to clean the carb again. It seems like I'm constantly having to clean mine.
travis789
BMX
BMX

Post by travis789 »

The pilot circuit was what I concentrated on yesterday. I had to take a bread twistee wire and poke it into the tiny port in the throat of the carb to get it open. I sprayed brake clean through from the pickup tube and the hole for the airscrew and all those passages are clean. The jet is clean and the tiny holes in the emulsifier tube are open. There is no intermediate circuit, the float is unadjustable, I don't know what else to check?
travis789
BMX
BMX

Post by travis789 »

Ok I just replaced the belt with a brand new oem one and installed the koso hi performance variator. It made it better, but not perfect. It ran BETTER when it was stone cold, which suggests it has a fuel gettification problem (It needs to GET more fuel), Because the bystarter is throwing extra fuel to it when its cold and closes when it gets warmer. I don't understand how the stock jet would not be sufficient since I only went up .25 mm (.010") on the piston size but my experiments are pointing that way. The only other jet I have here is the one that comes in the malossi big block kit that I'm not ready to install yet. My wife is learning on it and she just took her first ride down the alley. Also, I'm using the stock roller weights and they have flat spots on them.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Try bring the air fuel screw so its only 1/2 turn out that should give the mixture max richness. Thats what my 88' and 93' like. If that doesnt do it you might need to up jet. In that case the malossi kit comes with an 88 main. That will work on stock also. Ive run it b4. Dont forget to check your plug.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
travis789
BMX
BMX

Post by travis789 »

I took the jet back out. The first 2 times I checked the carb, I gave it a tentative stab with a safety pin and could see light through it and figured it was clean. I also sprayed carb cleaner through it but did not soak it. This time I took a safety pin and ground the shaft of it into a triangle shape so it would fit through the orifice and allow me to scrape any gunk out of it. I'm cleaning it and I'm sure I'm not removing any metal because I'm going gently and all of a sudden the jet slid down the whole length of the safety pin shaft! It was over half closed off with crud! I put it back in and the scooter just hit 42 mph on the flat and took slight hills at 35! (I know I need to be careful during break-in but you really can't go any where around here without going up a hill) Its faster than the kymco 50 4t (stock) and the stock 4t jonway I had. Thank you for all your help! I know its probably a little rich with the needle clip in the lowest groove but I think I'll leave it to help me cope with the hills