The Spree from H/e/l/l

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Gearhart
Spree
Spree

The Spree from H/e/l/l

Post by Gearhart »

This all started when I was a freshman. I saw one of the seniors at football workout roll up on a scooter in full football gear, I thought this was the coolest thing ever. I decided that when I got my license I needed one. 3 years later I was on Facebook on a truck form (I am really into old Chevy trucks and own 3 of them) and some guy posted a Honda Spree for sale for 100 bucks. At this time I had no clue about what a spree was I just saw a scooter and was like "yup I gotta have it" I called my dad and off we went to Monroe Washington to pick this thing up. We got there and I see this little beauty sitting in the garage. The kickstart was frozen so the guy thought the motor was seized but turns out it was a jammed up kickstart. I bought this thing for 60 bucks with a title. The catch is the title wasnÔÇÖt in this guys name. So we got it home and two hours later it was running. I rode it up and down the street a couple times and then it lost forward drive. I took the kickstart cover off and found that the crank splines were stripped. I looked for cranks and they seemed to be about 50 dollars. I found a spree on craigslist for 75 so I said screw it and loaded up the truck and drove down to Portland to pick it up. It's wiring harness was quite janky so I just took the motor out and took the crank out of it and swapped it into the other spree. I lowered it, cleaned it and rode it. Rode great! Since this thing was running I decided i needed a seat not made of ducktape. I headed over to goodwill and found a women's Pennington coat and bought it. I took it to the guy who did the seat in my truck and when he was done it looked sweet! only 50 bucks too. I powercoated the wheels gold and put new tires and tubes in it. At this point I thought sweet, now I have a sweet ride. Well I can never leave anything alone and I read about the high compression head swap on here and thought I needed that. When putting that on, my old crusty head bolt snapped, and it snapped inside the lower case so I couldn't just take it out. I pulled the cylinder off and went and got the case half from the other spree I had bought. I went to pull the flywheel off and the crank spun and broke the piston.. Just my luck. This is where I nicknamed this spree 'The spree from *'. I ordered a big bore kit, installed that and the other case half. I put it all together and started breaking it in. Right when done with the break in guess what happened?? It ate another set of crank splines :( . I later found out this is because of a failed attempt to pulley mod the thing. While it was broke I took the time to figure out the title situation. I tracked it down to being owned by a Pastor at a church up by seattle. I called him and found out he bought it new for the church to take on mission trips but they never ended up doing that. It sat in brand new condition in his garage until some girl from his church took it to college in 2008. She only rode it about 100 miles because she was scared to ride it. She gave it back to him and he gave it to some kids who had a farm from his church, those are the ones who did the pulley mod and stripped the crank splines. This thing only has 300 miles on it when I got it too. They let it sit outside for a couple years then gave it back to the pastor who then sold it to the guy I got it from. Anyways I got him to give a modern bill of sale and my dad put it in his name since iÔÇÖm not 18 yet. Spree motorÔÇÖs obviously werenÔÇÖt working out for me and I read alot about how great dio swaps are on here so I decided to swap it. I bought a motor on here and the swap began. I took it into my highschool shop and build a motor mount for it on the cnc. I welded it together then welded it to my spree frame. I got the motor all cleaned up and threw it in wired it and tried to start it, well thatÔÇÖs something it didnÔÇÖt want to do. I wanted to modify the motor anyway so I saved up tips from working at the local car wash and bought a polini carb kit, a malossi big bore, and a technigas next r pipe. I put that all on and walllah she fired right up. Now there was only one problem left to solve, the exhaust flange where the exhaust bolts to the case were broken. I got some JB weld and just jerry rigged it because it was summer and I wanted to ride with all my buddies since they all bought spreeÔÇÖs after me. I broke the bore in and rode it around a couple hundred miles. I wanted more performance so I got some gears a clutch and a variator. I took my new gears to the machine shop to get pressed on and the completely bent the shaft. Luckily I had a spare AF18 I bought off craigslist for 130 bucks. I took the shaft out of that and sent it to G9 to get it pressed on (He is the man by the way and buy parts from him). I got that back in, but by the time I did that football season hit and I had little time for the spree. By the time that got over itÔÇÖs the dead of winter and it ainÔÇÖt no fun to ride in washington during winter. I wanted to fix the janky exhaust repair so I ordered a new side of the case, two new bearings, two new oil seals. I took it apart and put it back together and the crank wouldnÔÇÖt spin freely. I had to take it back apart and while I am at it I might as well just go big and throw a malossi crank into it. I put it together again and got that done about two weeks ago and threw it back into my spree. This past weekend it was nice out so it was time to ride. I started it off and went for a 30 mile ride, near the end I started hearing this weird noise from the back of the motor. I pulled over and called my dad to pick me up, but he wouldnÔÇÖt answer so I had to just push it and ride it the rest of the way home (about a mile). I got it home and found out it was coming from the gear case. I took the rear gear cover off and boom shrapnel everywhere. Apparently the new gasket I put on leaked the oil out over the winter and it was running bone dry back there. As you can imagine it wreaked havoc. Im not sure if I can save the case half but I hope I can. As you can tell this P.O.S has lived up to itÔÇÖs (spree from *) nickname. At this point iÔÇÖm very frustrated and I just wanna ride this thing I hope I can get the gears all worked out for less than the worst scenario would call for. Anyway here are some pics of this hog.
[attachment=2]cb2464be-6aa5-4b77-a071-9aafe804e028.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]8a9e6cd2-82f9-445f-8017-849b4ba241a0.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]rsz_369e6997-501a-4b32-84fe-f110911c61e7.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
rsz_369e6997-501a-4b32-84fe-f110911c61e7.jpg
rsz_369e6997-501a-4b32-84fe-f110911c61e7.jpg (194.34 KiB) Viewed 6059 times
8a9e6cd2-82f9-445f-8017-849b4ba241a0.jpg
8a9e6cd2-82f9-445f-8017-849b4ba241a0.jpg (116.56 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
cb2464be-6aa5-4b77-a071-9aafe804e028.jpg
cb2464be-6aa5-4b77-a071-9aafe804e028.jpg (145.16 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Re: The Spree from *

Post by Kustomkarma »

Neat story and good looking Spree. If you ever decide you're done I'll take those wheels and that seat off your hands. :wink:
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Those gold rims look pretty trick!
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Looks sharp, hope you get that gearbox back up.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Gearhart
Spree
Spree

Re: The Spree from H/e/l/l

Post by Gearhart »

Got the blind bearing out with a candle.. Haha literally. Didn't want to spend the 50+ dollars on a tool I would use one so I improvised. I only have one concern now. The hole without the bearing looks like it has widened out a bit due to friction and a lot of heat. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm worrying the gear will have to much play in there and bind up. I guess we will see when the parts arrive this week :nervous:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (101 KiB) Viewed 5979 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (75 KiB) Viewed 5979 times
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Another great tool is an concrete hook screw.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/601969 ... lt_m20.jpg
Gearhart
Spree
Spree

Post by Gearhart »

Update: replaced everything in the transmission. Put fresh 9:1 gears in

took of the cast bore and technigas pipe and installed a corsa and a arrow rep.

Put a cluster in from an 87 elite for the 45 mph speedo. Anyone who wants to do this its direct bolt on

ill post some pictures tonight
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Boo yeah haha