My JPS/ Ricer '86 Spree

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

CalvinB
Goped
Goped

My JPS/ Ricer '86 Spree

Post by CalvinB »

I picked up my Spree in October off of CL and immediately fell in love. I put 5 tanks of fuel through it the first weekend I had it. When I was a kid, I remember riding around my uncle's property on his red one and I couldn't believe that I had waited this long to pick up one of my own. I wanted to have this as a nice weather daily. But I realized that unless I wanted to triple my distance by riding though neighborhoods I needed it to do more than 28mph. So after the engine crapped out (still not sure why) I ordered a carb and BBK from Taz, spent the cold AF winter tuning, taking apart, tuning again and cleaning the Spree and now she's all done... Kind of.

I started with the motor, which has had the port timing changed a few times, but is right where I want it now. Then I took a Fox Racing Shox RP23 mountain bike and adapted it to fit, which lowered the back end about 2 inches, so I had to cut the fork coils to match. Put a 10x3 tire on the back to gain some speed. So now I needed to lift it to use the center stand, and after I removed the rack, I put a handle on the back to lift it. Then one of my friends thought it would be hilarious to make the handle a wing, so I made one out of some aluminum. I pulled all of the reflectors off which * my wife off, since it was black, I wear a lot of black to work and I would be riding it at night. So I bought 3M retro reflective tape and did the John Player Special treatment to it. Then painted the wheels gold to match.

One time I was riding with a friend and at a light a guy yelled, "YO does that thing have V-tec?" I said yes and the joke stuck. All the stickers are reflective.

I just ordered an MLM pipe and emailed TAZ about gears, It does 40 mph as it but I need MOAR SPEEEEEEED
'93 Yamaha Jog SOLD
'86 Honda Spree "problem child"
'94 Yamaha RazZuma viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32666
Kustomkarma
Elite
Elite

Re: My JPS/ Ricer '86 Spree

Post by Kustomkarma »

Cool! I dig the color scheme.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Coolest Spree in a while! You get a bit of downforce with that wing?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Wow thats clean!! :worship:

What kinda top speed are you getting out of it now?
CalvinB
Goped
Goped

Post by CalvinB »

Wheelman-111 wrote:You get a bit of downforce with that wing?
I get upwards of 4,00 atto Newtons of downforcez directly to the rear wheel!

Also this weekend I was messing with the spacers in the front pulley and got to 51.6 mph on my Garmin on the flat and level. However, this top speed came with CATASTROPHIC acceleration. No joke, 30 seconds to 10 mph. Without messing with it, I got 45, and not I've geared it down so it does 42 but had much much better take off. The Spree is ride to work and beer run scooter, so the max speed limit where I would ride it is 35 mph, so 42 is fine and I really like the take off.
'93 Yamaha Jog SOLD
'86 Honda Spree "problem child"
'94 Yamaha RazZuma viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32666
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Too awesome
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

The MLM pipe is rad! I have the first one he made :-) if you can't get gears from taz just swap to the AX23 belt that's good for almost 5mph. It takes some real careful work to install it without screwing the end of the crank but it's possible. The AX24 was what I had started with but turned out to be too long. Love the paint job on that spree BTW real clean !
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Nice Spree. love the seat cover. :peace:
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
87spree70superbee
Spree
Spree

Post by 87spree70superbee »

The Spricer. I like it. You just need to lower it to the point where it will barely scrape with you on it and it'll be good haha! Nice job!
Black 85 Spree-SOLD

Red 87 Spree... Ended up buying the same one mentioned below.

I started riding my uncle's 87 Spree at the drag strip when I was 8...

It's easier to stop caring three years ago than it is to fix it in present time.