1985 Spree Minarelli 90 swap Pics added

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Hellish100
BMX
BMX

1985 Spree Minarelli 90 swap Pics added

Post by Hellish100 »

I picked up a rough spree as a parts bike but I couldn't resist the thought of what it would be like to have 90cc two stroke CVT power!

This is going to be a long term deal as I work full time and I go to class part time too.

Goals are:
Engine swap
Safe brakes
Keep it stock-ish looking
Use as much of the original wiring as possible

My beater next to my wife's stock-ish one.
Any and all suggestions on frame/engine mounts will be welcome.

PS: there will be a complete engine available soon, from the airbox cover to exhaust.
Last edited by Hellish100 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1985 Spree Minarelli 90 swap

Post by benji »

All this sounds great but I don't think your goals align haha. The 90cc mina motor is WAY longer than the spree motor, so it's gonna have a stretched look, and the front "safe" brakes are I'm guessing discs, which won't look very stock unless you can find a fender that looks close, and the wiring on these scooters is so simple that I think you'll replace have of it just by using the minarelli motor harness vs. the stock spree harness. But you should still go for it, cuz it'll be way cool. And probably dangerous to ride haha, I suggest going to a 12" front wheel for high speed stability.
Hellish100
BMX
BMX

Post by Hellish100 »

Thanks! I am expecting the stretched look.
I can't pour a ton of money in it now, which is why my goals are a little basic.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

It sounds like you got enough to start w, tho.

Dio zx stems fit on sprees I think. And that could get you discs in the front fairly easy, but I think it'll be a $400 upgrade done cheaply w wheel and brakes n such.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Btw, I'm actually looking for a jog 90. I've got a short case minarelli motor from a tng venice that's shorter than a zuma 50 motor which is shorter than the jog 90. I'll trade you plus cash if your interested. You can do a bbk and carb and pipe crazy cheap and still have more power than that chassis can really handle haha.
Hellish100
BMX
BMX

Re: 1985 Spree Minarelli 90 swap Pics added

Post by Hellish100 »

Thanks for your kind offer benji.
I think just because I have it in front of me, I'll be holding onto the 90.
My biggest expenses on this project will be the fab and getting the front end to stop.
Everything else, including engine mods will be kept to a minimum.

I hope you'll keep watching my progress :)
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Oh definately, I think I've just decided to build a mina-elite w an 88 sa50 I picked up recently. I have to build up this qj1e40qmb motor, parts are just too cheap!

I don't blame ya for wantin to keep the 90... it's a good motor, and reliable as well as big so it's the best of both worlds.
Hellish100
BMX
BMX

Post by Hellish100 »

Hellish100
BMX
BMX

Post by Hellish100 »

Just a mock up :P
'O'VerSe
BMX
BMX

Post by 'O'VerSe »

I've already swapped a 50cc minarelli into my girls spree. Sprees a bottom mount. Minarelli's a top mount. I completley cut off the spree bottom mount. Welded 3/16" steel flat bar to the spree frame for the new top mount. Just a heads up. I should have done this first. But, If you delete the oil injection and go pre mix. Removing the oil tank will give you more mounting surface to weld too and Potential for an larger gas tank. With the horizontal 90 you'll need to mount it far enough back for proper spark plug access. I will be changing mine shortly after I go premix.
1986 Honda spree-Horizontal Minarelli-70cc Polini Corsa-21mm Dellorto-Stage6 intake-Stage6 V force reeds-Hoca variator-4g rollers-Motoforce clutch-Tecnigas Next-R exhaust
Hellish100
BMX
BMX

Post by Hellish100 »

'O'VerSe wrote:I've already swapped a 50cc minarelli into my girls spree. Sprees a bottom mount. Minarelli's a top mount. I completley cut off the spree bottom mount. Welded 3/16" steel flat bar to the spree frame for the new top mount. Just a heads up. I should have done this first. But, If you delete the oil injection and go pre mix. Removing the oil tank will give you more mounting surface to weld too and Potential for an larger gas tank. With the horizontal 90 you'll need to mount it far enough back for proper spark plug access. I will be changing mine shortly after I go premix.
Do you have any pics of your mounting set up? I have an idea of how I'm going to do it, but want to double check my height and spacing.
Hellish100
BMX
BMX

Post by Hellish100 »

Wow!
It's been a really long time. Almost 4 years.

I had sold this spree and actually bought it back!

Here's a little video showing what I finally did with it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-IhbuyD6A&t=317s