Crank shaft bearing replacement/Honda elite S50

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Scoot808
Noob
Noob

Crank shaft bearing replacement/Honda elite S50

Post by Scoot808 »

When I was in high school, I had a 2000 Honda elite sr50 with a 72cc and a 28mm carb. At the time I was about 350lbs doing 60mph. Those where some good times.

Had some extra cash, so I was able to purchase a 2001 Honda elite s with a stroker motor. I'm not to sure the size of the piston but for sure its a stroker from what I was told. As I was riding the other day, I heard a rattling sound coming from the motor, yet as I proceeded to open up the bike (full throttle) that rattling sound went away. I watched the temp gage and made sure it didn't get above 350. As I slowed down to take the turn, I notice the sound was over powering my exhaust pipe (brand new pg) which made me scared, so I quickly shut my bike down and walked it home. Got home; opened the kicker cover and took off my belt. Initially I thought it was a washer I forgot to put back in when I changed the weights. My buddy double checked my work and made sure all washers was accounted for. When I went to wiggle the the crank shaft, I noticed that it had a lot of play. My buddy explained that the rattling sound I was hearing was from my crank shaft bearings which needs to be replaced.

So thats where I'm at. I got the bug, and my mechanic skills are not up to par. My buddy will help me project it out. Keep you guys updated.
Wheelman-111

Re: Crank shaft bearing replacement/Honda elite S50

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Sorry to hear of your malfunction. Separating the cases is necessary, and your skilled friend will find numerous examples of the puller assembly that's needed to perform the task in the Tech Docs if he doesn't already know how to do it. Normally the bearings will stick to the crankshaft, and if so a bearing separator is used to pry them off. However burned-out bearings are unpredictable. I had one engine where the bearing inner race was literally welded to the crankshaft. This necessitated a very carful, surgically precise Dremel cutting wheel to split the race into halves - being careful not to cut into the crankshaft's machined surface - and a chisel to knock them off. Do let us know how it goes. Pics of the process can teach others what to do and what to avoid...
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Center stand against the pipe. The bearings would have exploded by now if you had THAT much play in them. By all means, investigate the lower-end. I was just throwing out another possibility.......
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

My new sa/05 motor is making a funny noise down low too. Not a rattle but like a bad bearing, like a loud whirring/grinding. No crankshaft play tho...
Scoot808
Noob
Noob

Post by Scoot808 »

Thank to all who chimed in.

Update: 1

It's was not a stroker motor, I brought. It was a corsa 72cc. One of the ears on the bore for the exhaust screw was chipped off, so I replaced it with another 72cc corsa (brand new) also the block that I brought with the block had a crack in it by the ear motor mount. I attempted to have my uncle weld it but after two attempts I decided to replace that as well. Now I got a sym block (from Craigslist/ it came with a sef mini stroke crank) with a corsa 72cc and a long pg. bike goes 70 with me on top and I weight 400 pounds.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Scoot808 wrote: bike goes 70 with me on top and I weight 400 pounds.
pics or it didn't happen :bs:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Idk that seems sketchy, 70 at 400lbs thats a hard feat, unless you have had an expert tune your bike for you the average joe isnt gonna milk 70 out of it. I mean its possible, ive just heard too many people claim that. I know one thing for certain though, the pg short will get you to 30mph in under what feels like maybe a secound. Scary s***
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The 70mph I can believe...the 400lb rider is also very possible....put both of those together and you better call Ripley's
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

down a mountainside with a hurricane tailwind........ :lol:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

bonesv wrote:down a mountainside with a hurricane tailwind........ :lol:
Maybe these hurricane winds helped. :eyeroll:
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Our Category 4 will be here at 2am and ill post results!
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

The guy n this video is pretty big and his bike seems to be doing ok.
https://youtu.be/qCmS1jXGCcc
There are alot of stories of fast bikes from down there, maybe it's the moist air allowing them to lean out there motors like water injection. Or maybe it's just that people have been building fast scooters down there alot longer than we have here on the mainland. Experience does count for something.
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

I actually really enjoyed that video haha!
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I know right?? Dude can wheelie haha
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Wonder why Hawaii outlawed scooters...