Aero 50 - First Build

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

mandalore
Noob
Noob

Aero 50 - First Build

Post by mandalore »

Hey guys been wanting an Aero or Spree for a long time. Learned what little I know from browsing this board, never worked on a two stroke before.

Brought this home today:

Won't kick over. Going to clean the carb, get the old gas out, and go from there. Going to get it running good then really want to stretch and lower it.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Aero 50 - First Build

Post by benji »

Nice... looks clean, good plastics and you even have a complete taillight! Those crack easy so careful. You might wanna wrap that seat in a t shirt for now, duct tape can be "sticky" haha.

If I were you, just tear the motor down and start upgrading. You probably need to clean the carb or buy a new one, so might as well get an aftermarket carb, and then a bbk and a pipe.

If you break down the factory carb and let everything sit in carb cleaner (like Berrymans or seafoam also works) for a day or 2 that should clean it out enough to get it running.
mandalore
Noob
Noob

Post by mandalore »

Good advice thanks, it's too sticky.

The front has a giant crack on one side otherwise it's decent.

I'm really new to all this so I am looking at your suggestions, I'm definitely interested in a bbk rebuild with performance pipe and carb. I just don't want to buy stuff that won't be tunable together.

I have a little experience with GY6 4 strokes but that's it.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

This is a whole other beast
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Ya... be prepared to be frustrated haha. 2t scoots always have something up w em. Mines running "good" right now, but needs some stuff. I got some gas at a sketchy looking gas station on rainier Ave in seattle the other day, I'm waiting for what that'll mean to my carb haha.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Having spent years in Seattle I can highly suggest staying away from Rainier...and Yesler and Fremont and Capitol Hill and Pioneer Square, parts of Queene Anne and anywhere by the Piers. On "Pill Hill' by Harborview is transient/junkyville. Definitely stay out of West Seattle or White Center area too. Id stick to the U District or Ballard area...but only during daylight hours. :smile:

As for the Aero, Id run through all the basics and get it running before going bbk and new carb. etc... Clean carb and set screws per manual, check for spark, make sure fuel if flowing when vacuum applied, proper air filter, FRESH gas/oil etc etc etc....If she wont fire after basics, check compression, test bystarter, check for stuck reeds, etc etc...

I always do the easy stuff first before I get real deep. It may just fire up!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
mandalore
Noob
Noob

Post by mandalore »

I am south, in Tacoma. Don't often venture up to Seattle unless it's for a concert.
All good advice. Looking forward to it, tinkering is what it's for.

If I spend sizable money I wouldnt rebuild it stock though.

It was tagged in '03 and supposedly used as a pit bike since then? It's absolutely filthy underneath. Haven't dug into yet, hopefully this Saturday.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Ya seattles great haha... he just mentioned most of the places I have to commute to or around for various work/family reasons, and I agree haha but it's fairly scooter friendly.
My brother lived in Tacoma by the water for awhile and he loved it, scooter-ready everywhere. But the potholes suck. Point defiance has a nice drive I wanna cruise w my scoot one day..
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

the roads in seattle are horrible bout shook my elite apart during the F2F ride.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Nice scoot man. I'm in the same boat with you with these 2 strokes. I agree with Meatball and just GET it running first. :popcorn:
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Rip_City_Spree wrote:the roads in seattle are horrible bout shook my elite apart during the F2F ride.
Just found out I lost my license plate, screws rattled out. Dammit
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

benji wrote:Just found out I lost my license plate, screws rattled out. Dammit
This happened on my ruckus a few months ago....Dont even know how long i was riding without it lol! LOKTITE ERRYTHANG NOW! :lock:
mandalore
Noob
Noob

Post by mandalore »

Yeah all day scooters tomorrow.

New fluid and carb clean let's see what we get!
mandalore
Noob
Noob

Post by mandalore »

I did end up having some time today. Yesterday got away from me as Saturdays being an adult often do.

I tried kicking it over before having to quit for the day, no luck.

-drained and filled gas and oil
-took apart carb and cleaned
-tried a "less bad" looking spark plug but need a new one
-air filter looks really bad, can I just cover the carb until I can clean/ replace it for testing purposes?

Again never touched a 2 stroke so I may be missing the obvious.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Have you checked to see if you have spark? How about if you have fuel flowing when vacuum is applied to vac line? If the spark plug's integrity is even in question it should be replaced with a new one. They are only like $3-$4 and can be bought anywhere. Cleaning the carb is not only a task that opens up potentially restricted ports but its also an exploratory mission as well. How did the rubber O-rings look? Float valve and valve seat? Emulsion tube? Gasket to intake? Any air leaks would cause it to not start so its important for everything to be sealed. Is your air/mixture screw set to factory spec? Sometimes after cleaning a carb, the screw is put back in the improper setting. Air filter..get a new one from Noiseguy...youre gonna need one anyway and his are top notch quality.....oh, and GO HAWKS!!!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.