Honda Aero nb50 to nh125 Swap Project

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Re: Honda Aero nb50 to nh125 Swap Project

Post by Tyler VR »

MrJumps wrote:Dont forget a bump stop, im not sure why they are there but I know they keep the wheel from going too far down. Maybe to keep it from folding under.
benji wrote:^^yup you need that little foot that goes in the frame for some reason. Nice mount man, you should make some extra, just in case you can sell one. Looks so strong haha, I like it.
I have a couple ideas for a bump stop from the mount to the frame. Definitely needs it otherwise the mount would just lay against the frame and flop around.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

First test fit with the mount.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Beautiful work so far. Do you plan to add the piece that connects to the frame ? That triangulation over the Roll axis is pretty important methinks to prevent racking resisted by welded sheet alone. Also to prohibit up/down engine pitch and instability.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Beautiful work so far. Do you plan to add the piece that connects to the frame ? That triangulation over the Roll axis is pretty important methinks to prevent racking resisted by welded sheet alone. Also to prohibit up/down engine pitch and instability.
Thanks! My plan is to weld a piece onto the mount angled into the scooter frame tube with a rubber dampener.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Correct me if Im wrong...Isn't the 125 the largest displacement Air-cooled 2t motor Honda put into scooters? 150,250,etc all were liquid-cooled or 4-stroke?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Meatball wrote:Correct me if Im wrong...Isn't the 125 the largest displacement Air-cooled 2t motor Honda put into scooters? 150,250,etc all were liquid-cooled or 4-stroke?
I believe so, nh125 is 1 year only in the US.
imomo713
Goped
Goped

Post by imomo713 »

:rock: pm sent sir
84 Honda NN50 Gyro
84 Honda NH125 Aero
86 Honda NB50 Aero
90 Honda SK50ML AF27 Dio
92 Honda SZ50MN AF24 Tact
93 Honda SA50P AF05E Elite SR
94 Honda SA50R AF16 Elite SR
05 Honda Met->Ruckus
07 Honda NPS50 Ruckus
09 Yamaha Zuma125
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Stripped the rest of parts off the Aero frame and boxed everything up. I made a stand out of wood to do the swap, keeps the frame level and I don't have to worry about it falling over.

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Cant wait to see this thing done. Gonna be a ripper for sure. I thought about doing this swap but all the nh125's around here for sale are overpriced. Waiting for a good deal to come along.

Hmm, I wonder how far the tiny Spree gas tank will get you with this motor? Whats the MPG on the 125? My Spree with an Elite motor only gets about 30mi or so before fuel level gets in the danger zone. It sucks burning through an entire tank in less than an hour of ride time.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

One of my goals with this project is to make it super reliable, a stock nh125 is rated around 55mpg. I'm not sure how many mods I'll be doing but a ct intake and bigger carb turn the nh125 into a monster.

The spree gas tank is 0.6Gal, the Aero 50 is 1.0Gal and the Aero 125 is 1.8Gal. On my nh125 spree I can only get 20-30 miles on the stock tank, had to watch the fuel level closely.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

Test fit the engine on the stand, playing with alignment.

motormike

Post by motormike »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ..................still watching... :urban:
p.s.: I have a CT chrome that I'm not using, NEW in the bag.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

graphite9 wrote:you know what you can do to get it straight, get some heavy steel, or angle long enough to clamp to the front wheel then to the rear. If the front is parallell with the rear, you know its true. Then put protractors on both wheels to make sure they are the same angle.
That's a good idea, I've thought about doing something similar but never had a long enough piece of metal laying around. Most the time I'm looking at the rear wheel seeing how it lines up with the scooter frame, the tire is nearly as wide as the frame itself so that makes it somewhat easier.

I've seen pics online of other people doing swaps, they lay 2 inch masking tape on the floor to see alignment between the front a rear wheel. Which isn't a bad idea but it's still just eyeballing alignment off a reference point.
Tyler VR
Elite
Elite

Post by Tyler VR »

motormike wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ..................still watching... :urban:
p.s.: I have a CT chrome that I'm not using, NEW in the bag.
Very tempting, a intake and carb upgrade will eventually happen for this aero if I like the way this nh125 swap rides. The trouble is the adapter, It would take me a few hours to make another one with a drill press and dremel. I wouldn't mind just buying one from bear, last message I got was in June saying he was going to have more made.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Your adapter turned out good...and Bear is likely already hibernating on his plans to make more.
Do another one...and don't deny this Aero the thrill of having a big one...size matters... :wink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"