My 86' Iowa "HAWKEYES" Spree

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

jerz40
Elite
Elite

Re: My 86' Iowa "HAWKEYES" Spree

Post by jerz40 »

Wow! Great job! Love how clean it is! And you did everything the way it's suppose to be with the small decals "On Road Use Only" etc. Again great job! :thumbwink:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

How often do you see a Spree with petcock cover, glovebox AND floormat? Even a non-scooter nut should appreciate the time and effort put into this restoration. I go to car shows in the Summer and, honestly, I like newer cars built to the max. The classics just don't appeal to me but when I see one that's well done with every detail..Im impressed with the work done to it because I know how long it takes and the passion one must have to complete it. I totally respect that whether I like the model of car or not.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

[quote="Meatball"]How often do you see a Spree with petcock cover, glovebox AND floormat?

^^^You got that right!^^^
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

You can easily see how it cost me a couple grand to get it done. Finding the glove box and floor mat and etc at a reasonable price wasn't very easy at all. A good chunk of what I spent went towards perfecting the engine. But to me, the dyno time was money well spent. It's one thing to slap a BBK and higher gears in your scoot, but it's another venture performing test after test making sure that Air/Fuel mix is just right and fine tuning the intake and carb. I've even went through another piston trying to find that sweet spot. I wanted an engine that was capable of performing well when you give it all it's got and not seize up on me. Yet, at the same time, I wanted it to be able to perform in an acceptable range for a child with special needs. This meant a slower launch then stock, and a cruising RPM that would ensure the noise from the engine wasn't so loud that it would frighten him. The bike has an awesome top speed. With the crappy clutch factored in, it has a top speed of 47mph on the dyno. My son will never ever take it up that fast, this I know for a fact, so it's full potential readings on the dyno are just there for posterity's sake. I know I have hands down, THEE fastest Spree possible without doing an engine swap. I suppose that is a bragging right many would love to have. I view it as an after effect of fine tuning. I put nothing but 100% love and devotion for my son into this Spree to make it as perfect as possible for him. I have 3 other scoots in my arzenal sitting in my garage that I want to see perfected to awesomeness. AND One I've been looking at that might take precedence over those, is an Indian AMI-50 that is for sale locally. VERY RARE, VERY VINTAGE. Since I work for Polaris, sourcing parts is a tad bit easier. NOW HOW COULD I NOT WANT TO RESTORE AN INDIAN SCOOT?? Interesting fact about the AMI-50.. It used a Honda 4 stroke engine. I might just put my ISU Spree on the back burner and buy that AMI-50 for restoration and beautification.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

So a quick update on the Spree. It has a temporary new home for the winter. It is now on display in the showroom at SS Collision & Cycleworks here in Spencer. It's just downright cold around these parts, and since the bike shop is a couple miles out of town figured instead of driving it home or loading it up on the truck, I'd let the guys display it on the showroom floor with all the other sweet rides they have on display. Figure that's a better place for it then in a cold garage, and it gives the customers a sweet looking scoot to check out along side all those Harley's, Indian's, Triumph's and other classic vintage rides.
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

There ya go! That's really cool! :D
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Did a little video montage of the restoration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU49lL_Xx4s
Waffles97
Goped
Goped

Post by Waffles97 »

Clark, all of your pictures are gone. What gives?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Server must have been down. They are there now.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

OP edited to add final HP/Torque results from Dynojet 250i.
SpreeorDie85
Goped
Goped

Post by SpreeorDie85 »

PROPS!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Just want to give an update on changes that are in the works for my Hawkeye's Spree. It's getting NEON underglow lighting!!

My son saw what I did to his sister's TaoTao with the underbody LED's and was awestruck, so now he wants me to do the same with the Spree.

In Iowa, the only 2 legal colors you may use are Yellow, and Amber. So, DUH, the underbody glow job it will be getting, will be Yellow LED's.

Edit: My Cyclones themed Spree, is tentatively, getting AMBER underbody LED's

Also having the Polini tweaked with lower pilot jetting, and switching to the Yellow Leo Vince clutch springs. The Spree is soo much fun after about 10 mph. Take off needs some help and optimizing.

Here's a link to a spin off topic on the 49cc forums covering what I did with my daughter's scooter: THE TOADETTE TAOTAO

http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/thread/1 ... tte-taotao

Last edited by eclark5483 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

It's only illegal if you turn it one while the five is is around! KILL SWITCH!!!!!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I actually took the initiative to bring it down to the police station for inspection and clarification. In Iowa, you are permitted to drive with only Yellow & Amber. Any other colors, she may only display when the bike is stationary with no rider. LED's must not have the direct light visible as they can cause distraction. So I actually need to tuck a couple of them under a little more.

VIDEO OF EFFECTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XglRuEtSgjo

ORANGE (Amber)

YELLOW
Last edited by eclark5483 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Had to share. Today is prom day and the kids wanted pics on their bikes.

Last edited by eclark5483 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.