My 87' Iowa Edition Cyclone Spree

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

My 87' Iowa Edition Cyclone Spree

Post by eclark5483 »

Stats on wish list/final restoration to do list:

Ported Tazland BBK
Jiang Wayne pipe hacked and converted to fit the NQ50.
Ported NQ50 intake
Ported SB50 Reeds
Ported AF05 Block
Polini 17mm CP carb (alternately, a Tillotson setup), Ideal would be a Dio intake/reed setup.
GY6 clutch springs, possibly even a Dio clutch swap

Will post pictures of the project when available, so stay tuned, but just wanted to give some info on how this little beasty of a Spree is to be tuned using a stock engine with stock gears. Still consulting the experts on this proposed configuration to lock in on a tune.

With it's off the line kick and 4+horse power, this little monster is gonna romp your Zuma50, no question about it. But it does lack in overall top speed, but this is OK. This Spree, quite the opposite of it's brother Hawkeye's Spree, is a low geared, bottom end based badazz that throws the first punch and will lead the pack.
Gearhart
Spree
Spree

Re: My 87' Iowa Edition Cyclone Spree

Post by Gearhart »

Lol. I respect your dedication to the paper weight that they call a spree engine, but no way it'll take a zuma off the line.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

A 4T it will, a 2T will stomp it.
Dallen70
Spree
Spree

Post by Dallen70 »

Lol
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

very funny...
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Doubt if you must, but it will. Can't do wheelies, only goes a bit over 30, but has some sweet pickup. Enough to out accelerate an average 4t, why would this seem unreasonable? As long as the block has the ability to take in the required fuel and air, a 2 stroke will outperform a 4 stroke any day.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Im shooting for a launch at 3400-4000 rpm, not possible as far as I can tell, on a stock Spree clutch. All I need it to do is hit those high rpms fast within a 1 block range. It's peak HP comes at around 6700rpm, so a launch from the range I'm looking for should give me close to 3.5HP up off the start and carry it (estimated) to around 25mph before it slopes off.
Last edited by eclark5483 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

There are Malossi springs out there that fit the Spree clutch...I think the kit has 3 sets...4k,5k,6k
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Got a link? I'm at experiment phase ATM.
Gearhart
Spree
Spree

Post by Gearhart »

The 2t will make more power.. buttt with no variator takeoff will never be good. You should put money into a Mina, or Dio and you will be wondering why you spent 1500 dollars on a spree motor to do 42-45 and have less than desired acceleration getting there. I understand why you did it on the yellow one for your son, and that's rad. You should look for an elite, or prebug zuma to build up. Sprees are better looking, but the elites and zumas have so much more room and ride so much better. I own two sprees with disc swaps and they are still knarly above 65MPH. On my elite 70+ feels like 55 on my spree lol.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Dude, I own several scooters. If I wanted a fast one, I'd just buy another one or throw some more cash into the ones I already have. I have an engine to swap into it, have had it for quite a while. OF COURSE the Spree is a pokey little puppy. That slow pickup with the high gears is perfect for my boy. That's kind of why I'm sticking with a stock engine for my other build as well, even though I'm using lower gears. I've already had fun with the fast scoot scene. One of my TaoTao's easily did over 50 before I sold it. The kid I sold it to uses it all the time and just loves it. He's a skinny runt so he can get it up to about 55. That's pretty good considering it's only an 80cc (72cc) BBK with A9 cam, taller gears, Polini CVT, performance muffler. I was gonna do a 100cc kit but decided against it because I would of had to split the block and install a stronger crank. Those 139QMB crank's don't handle the punishment of a bigger piston like that well. I only mess around with the Spree engines because it's a fun hobby. Yes, it can get quite expensive and is not something I recommend a budget conscious person do if they want the most bang for the buck. Also keep in mind, I own, not 1, not 2, but 3 Sprees. Pretty easy to find around these parts at a cheap price. Would love to buy another, maybe even 2 more Iowa editions and do up the drive trains in them all at different levels, like the one I did for my boy, the Cyclone one I'm doing now, one with the variated AF05E, 1 with an AF16, and maybe even 1 with a GY6. I'm not after speed, I get that out of my motorcycle. If I wanted a fast scooter, I'd buy a T-Max. Kind of have my eyes on one already. The Spree is just good clean classic scooter fun!!! The engine swapped Spree is going on the back burner. The next project after the one I'm doing now, is an Indian AMI-50. You wanna talk about SLOW.... that one will make the Spree look like Harley. It'll do MAYBE 20 on a good day. Even got the Engineers at Polaris helping out on that one. It's probably going on display at the Indian visitor's center at the plant in Spirit Lake where I work with all the other classic Indians.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

And I guess another thing worth mentioning, is this Spree, and my Hawkeye's Spree, were meant to be show bikes that get very very mild use. This Cyclones one will actually be under a tarp most of the time and will be found at various bike shows and events around my area. I'm a member of the Old Iron Company and do other various classic hotrod events. I can't afford to, nor do I have the room, to do a car. My garage is too small, but there is enough room for all these scooters and maybe more if my wife doesn't flip her lid if I buy another. :smile:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

First look

Last edited by eclark5483 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

:popcorn:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

So here are a few more update pics. I'm probably 90% finished with it, just waiting on Shawn to print out the side graphics for me.

This is Shawn marking the position for the choke cable. You can see the caution decals applied already.

One thing you will notice, is I painted the turn signals as well as the rear tail light fairing. I didn't like the gray/black color of them, plus I had to do a bit of reconditioning on them since the kid I bought the Spree from had scuffed and scratched them up. The 87' model year Spree is much much harder to find parts for then the 84-86' so I had to make the most of what I had to work with.

The lower tail light plastics had a chunk broke off at the bottom, and since this part is almost irreplaceable, I opted to trim it even at the bottom, then paint it. Turned out pretty good IMHO.

Last edited by eclark5483 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.