Just another AF16 Spree Swap

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: Just another AF16 Spree Swap

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Very nice work. Hey run the tranny vent into one of the holes of your custom filter cover. Self-oiling element! :)
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

A floor mat would make that bike look sick. I love the black look an AF16 brings to a spree instead of the silver/gray engine color. Looks so good on red Spree's.
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

So I took her for another run today (a bit cooler outside) and was topping out around 32-33mph. After going down a hill the engine choked out so I am thinking either too much fuel or too much air. I plug some holes on the cover and it bogged very early and wouldn't get up to speed. I opened the fuel jet a 1/8 turn at a time (starting from 1.5 turns) and still didn't stop the downhill choke. I ended up taking the air filter cover off and bam pulls great up to speed (35mph) and doesn't choke going downhill. I heard you will seize the engine with just a pod filter but it seems to run the strongest.

-Should I add more holes to the filter cover? Till is doesn’t bog downhill?

-Up jet the carb so it doesn’t seize the engine?

I plan on buying a new plug and running with the pod filter to see the condition. I have a nice smoke trail behind me. I just feel like the engine wants too much air.

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

That motor WILL do 40 all day with the right filter hole combo. Try less holes. More isnt always better with these babies.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

I have, just double checked to make sure I installed the #80 jet and confirmed it. I guess I am going to add more holes till she is runs the best and buy a new plug to insure the air/fuel mixture is ideal.
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

This was the last time out for the year.

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Running good?
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

Meatball wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:30 pm Running good?
Running Great!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Sweet....now toss a Corsa/Arrow/Naraku/Stage6 on there and do 65! :ndance:
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

I am going to start with a Polini Variator and 15x42 gears, they should be here next week.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

15x42 is an interesting choice. Good thing with those is you’ll probably not need a ZX trans. They wont give you blinding top speeds but they also wont kill acceleration like taller gears would. Keep the updates coming!
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

ntonar wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:03 am I am going to start with a Polini Variator and 15x42 gears, they should be here next week.
I do not believe the 15*42 secondaries (10:1) will improve enough to be worth all the trouble. Try the 16*42 set (9:1) and increase the strength of the springs in the clutch for a better take-off. Here's the gear ratio chart http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5/T ... ion_Ratios
I have run both of those gears in my stock af16's and I ended up giving away the 10:1's and put on 9:1's. Just my opinion....yomv
I like the polini vari :thumbsup:
Just be sure you have made clearance in the case, and get some shims so you can use the stock boss instead of the one that comes with it. You may find that it is too long to use with the stock belt. 7-7.5 gm rollers is about right but it will depend on the clutch springs you use.
Awesome build and thank you for the easy to view pics! :rock:
Bones
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

bonesv wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:40 pm
ntonar wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:03 am I am going to start with a Polini Variator and 15x42 gears, they should be here next week.
I do not believe the 15*42 secondaries (10:1) will improve enough to be worth all the trouble. Try the 16*42 set (9:1) and increase the strength of the springs in the clutch for a better take-off. Here's the gear ratio chart http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5/T ... ion_Ratios
I have run both of those gears in my stock af16's and I ended up giving away the 10:1's and put on 9:1's. Just my opinion....yomv
I like the polini vari :thumbsup:
Just be sure you have made clearance in the case, and get some shims so you can use the stock boss instead of the one that comes with it. You may find that it is too long to use with the stock belt. 7-7.5 gm rollers is about right but it will depend on the clutch springs you use.
Awesome build and thank you for the easy to view pics! :rock:
Bones

I was able to catch my order in time to swap the 15*42 with 16*42 gears thanks to the scooter swap guys! Do you think a yellow 30% spring would be a good starting point?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I Just know that the 9:1's are best if matched up with a 1K torque spring and 2-3K for the shoes to grab. But it can vary depending on the brand. I assume you are referring to the Malossi 30% yellow spring? That one seems to me to be tricky because I don't really understand exactly what "30%" means. I have one and actually didn't like how it worked with a corsa bbk w/8:1 gear setup. I assumed that it's color corresponded with all the Taiwan 1500rpm yellow springs but seemed like it was maybe a 1200rpm spring instead of a 1500rpm. I did not test it against a 1000rpm Taiwan spring.
SSS has some imported spring sets (Italian?) and it may be your best bet to get a few extra sizes so you can dial it in to your liking. I don't know what that is. I just want to give you some of my experience to see if it helps you. I have acquired a couple extra stock clutches and set them up with different springs to easily test out what works best for a particular setup. Welcome to tuning :2thumbs: :-)
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Yes, Malossi Yellow is a good all-around spring. I tried Polini White and Blue and they were too soft. It wouldnt downshift on deceleration into the corners unless I lightened the rollers way too much.

The 30% refers to the compression strength of the spring being 30% stiffer than stock. The Polini White and Blue (i think) are 15% and 20% but dont quote me. The Malossi Red being stiffer yet at 35%.

I dont quite understand the rating system of Contra Springs with an RPM number. If one is rated at 1500 then what happens AT 1500?? Upshift? Downshift? These shift points can be changed with roller weights. Someone enlighten me.