Red 85 Aero "build"?

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Red 85 Aero "build"?

Post by nateberrier »

I bug the crap out of everyone on here asking for help, but i haven't showed off any of my turds. I miss the old forum days before facebook, and even though this place is dead or dying, maybe someone on google will find the thread.

I bought a white 86 aero with no knowledge of scoots for about 300. Its not perfect but its better than most aeros I find for the price. I fixed that one up and its been solid and mostly stock other than a variator and a metro wheel. My friends and I all have scoots now and my wife decided she actually likes them, despite teasing me about being hooked on scooters. So we went to look for more.

I scored two red 85s for 450 of some dude in rural kentucky. I probably paid too much, but one was running on the trailer and the other was mostly complete, but the guy decided to use it for parts. I have no idea if it runs, but the carb and fan shroud were taken off so thats not a good sign haha. That one has been sitting outside as its pretty rusty on one half. I might put a battery and starter relay on it to see if itll go, but not really motivated unless someone really needs a spare AF05.

I feel like between the 85s and the 86, I am pretty familiar with the nuances of these things, so if you have an aero question and you stumble on this, Im more than happy to talk your ear off and try to help with whatever.

Back to the Red scooty, It ran great despite not having an idle air screw in it at all. The first day I got it, we took them home and i pieced together turn signal relays, did the drift tie stitch on broken plastic, put the better looking wheels on it, cleaned the carb, fixed the turn signal buttons and speedo, fresh gas, etc. We took it out for a ride through Louisville and put about 50 miles on it after being in a barn for ages. Then noticed that the previous owner installed right angle tube stems. I learned my lesson on these already, but this person had not. Anyway it rubbed on the crank case and left us stranded.

I tried and tried to hunt one down, but they are all expensive as crap on ebay :evil:
Local scoot and motorcycle salvage cross referenced parts and we found one in a bag from the days when everyone in town had a spree for their kid.

https://www.treatland.tv/honda-NB50-TG5 ... y3-515.htm

New tire and new screw and gaskets and I was ready to ride again. I was ready to take the wife for ice cream and the thing started getting slower and slower on the ride after about 3 miles, mind you its about 95 degrees, but we were riding the previous weekend for hours. Turns out I should have taken the shroud off. something made a nest in the shroud and obviously that doesnt help. It melted up pretty good.

I debated on testing the spare motor, but I figured I might as well try my hand at a bbk.

Went for the malossi kit, still shocked I was able to get it running. Seems to scream now, but need to sort the cvt a bit more.

Grass and hair?

Nasty

Cleaned up

Also Chamfered the ports a bit like everyone here mentions in various threads.
Also new small end bearing cause it was cheap.

Had a a little wiggle room left to right on the jug and i should have mocked the exhaust at this point but we all learn from our mistakes. I did a little cutting to get the exhaust to bolt on.

I took a light polisher to my white aero and it cleaned up well, so maybe when i get this one sorted and reliable, ill do that as well. I was pretty excited to have panels with complete tabs.

Taz had some pilot tubes on ebay and I swapped out to a 40 pilot and a 90 main (thats what came with the malossi kit, but I used my naraku box) Still trying to figure out the whole plug chop thing. The pilot came out with a little wiggling and a drill bit poked down the middle so i didnt crush it. From there I put the body in the oven at 200F and then put the pilot in the freezer. not the sexiest job, but it seems to work okay.

Also grabbed an rpm meter and temp gauge so i can stop if the dangerzone hits.
Last edited by nateberrier on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1986 Aero White -- Stock With Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af05 Malossi BBK + Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank
motormike

Re: Red 85 Aero "build"?

Post by motormike »

I was very tempted by a white Aero 50 in kY last week on marketplace.
Maybe you bought it ?
I'm a big fan of the Aero 50.
Instead, I currently have a sweet 93 Jog that rips hard for a stocker.
Carry on with your thread and see if you can figure out the picture posting.
Would like to see your scoots....mm
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

motormike wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:47 pm I was very tempted by a white Aero 50 in kY last week on marketplace.
Maybe you bought it ?
I'm a big fan of the Aero 50.
Instead, I currently have a sweet 93 Jog that rips hard for a stocker.
Carry on with your thread and see if you can figure out the picture posting.
Would like to see your scoots....mm
I got the pictures sorted, just had to edit. The aero was over in clarksville indiana back in June? If you get one let me know, I might have a spare keli variator
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Ill also add that the other day I noticed a bad rattle when I was attempting a plug chop. It sounded like rocks in the crankcase which is not a thing anyone likes to hear...

Turned out that one of the fan bolts was loose and rattling around. I think the PO lost the metal dowel that goes in between and it wallered out the plastic, caused vibration, and loosened the screw.

I had the spare bike, so i put the fan on from that. Earlier in the day I read a spree thread about the scoots and someone mentioned the shrouds being different on various models of AF05.

Both bikes are 85s but they had slightly different shrouds and different fan designs. The fan rubbed when i changed it, so make sure oyu have the right pair if you do a replacement!
motormike

Post by motormike »

Dang Nate, I just remembered an "85 front cover(leg shield) that I have.
It is NOS in red and I'd like to get a few bucks for it.
Are you interested ?
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

motormike wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:37 pm Dang Nate, I just remembered an "85 front cover(leg shield) that I have.
It is NOS in red and I'd like to get a few bucks for it.
Are you interested ?
Yes YGPM
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I also have some random Aero motor parts if you need random bits to get going. All my stuff has the 4-bolt intake so Im not quite sure what would swap over to yours..I have stuff like fan and shroud, exhaust, heads, intakes, etc....just ask if ya need and I’ll see what I can dig out of the dusty vault! Long live the AF05!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Meatball wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:00 pm I also have some random Aero motor parts if you need random bits to get going. All my stuff has the 4-bolt intake so Im not quite sure what would swap over to yours..I have stuff like fan and shroud, exhaust, heads, intakes, etc....just ask if ya need and I’ll see what I can dig out of the dusty vault! Long live the AF05!
I'd be curious to see what you have, I think Ole Taz makes adapters still. Do you have aftermarket exhaust by chance? A spare carb would also be rad
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Aftermarket exhaust for the AF05?...no sir. Only place I know for one of those (besides overseas) is Treatland. I personally have no experience with it, never had one and dont know anyone who has....but here it is:
https://www.treatland.tv/MLM-honda-87-E ... e-1130.htm

Stock bits I DO have. However, what year Aero/Elite they came from is a mystery. Certainly from an AF05 with 4-bolt intake since thats all I bother dealing with. Wouldve been nice to have every part I have labeled with year/model/miles, etc..but I dont have that kinda OCD. Also, giving you a list of what I have would likely break the internet. It’d be best to submit a part request and I will rifle through the 20 bins to find it.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Nate.. great photos.. much appreciated..
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Time for update woo. Keepin the forum alive, wooo!

This weekend I spent some time working on both scooters. The wife is starting her job so i have time to myself in the garage (I love my wife, we just usually do stuff that's not getting frustrated at scooters for 4 hours straight)

So for this scoot I have been meaning to do a plug chop for weeks. I have a temp gauge and its not been getting anywhere past 375 for any period of time. One day it got close but since its been cool ~315 or so. Im sure long full throttle runs would do it in, but I have been trying not to do that since it is a new bore kit. I dunno if it makes a difference honestly. I didnt pay attention to the miles but it has about 3-4 hours on it. I started with a 90 jet because thats what malossi sent. (I used a naraku jet not the malossi one though im sure its fine too)

The plug Ive been daily driving is looking like this below. Id say its probably got at least 50 - 75 miles on it or around there.

Oil is pretty much always getting on the top of the cylinder head which im positive is a result of the cht. dunno what to do about that. :werd:

Premix is 32:1 currently. I ran GN2 for the first tank but were doing royal purple now.

So anyway, yeah plug chop. Im new to this so I dunno if im running it long enough or not, but theres a good hill in a 45 mph zone where i can go balls out for what i think is about a mile. I stop in the parking lot next to the light, swap in a fresh plug, bomb it full throttle up the hill, kill the gas and hit the stop switch and coast into the church lot, then swap the plug. They came out pretty light so I took it to mean that its lean but i could also not be going long enough, I dunno?! This stuff always stresses me out.

Best I can figure is that its a little lean, but obviously its not that bad since it hasnt blown up. Im guessing Malossi is like here 90 jet works good if youre using the oil injection (ive heard some people leave the oil injector and wire it open, but 85 doesnt have that so :roll: ). I dunno how the 85s do oil since there is no adjuster, but its gone now.

I fully intended on doing another plug chop, but after I changed the jet to 92, the bike was revving out to 11k or so and hitting limiter? idk what it was doing but it was maxing out revs.

Like holy shidd. I fired it up and took off down the drive way holding a big axx wheelie!. It immediately revved out to 11k. 7.5g rollers no other changes than one jet up W.T.F.
I swapped heavier rollers in and then lighter and did a few mixes and at first nothing would change, it was just screaming. Then I swapped back to 7.5 and it seemed fine, but runs stronger. I can only guess some grease got on the driven face or something but really i dunno, i did nothing but change the jet after riding it for a chop.

Before the chop the wife and i rode the turds down to the waterfront for a big arts festival. Its way easier to park haha.

Afterward, we rode to get pizza and back too, which was about 16 miles round trip, lots of hills and stuff. The red scoot chews up hills. Its crazy. I let my wife ride it since the white scoot is a basket case still. Up a steep hill through seneca park or eastern pkwy (if youre from louisville you know where im talking about) she would be accelerating and leaving me. Stock exhaust and contra currently (holy crap I cannot get the bolts off the contra for anything. I even put one in a vice. Maybe I just need to get a proper socket. the six point 1.5inch did not fit). But anyway, its fast. Im really happy with it. Temps were staying around 275 with her dogging it up hills.

Also, if anyone can tell me why, this is happening, I would be really happy
Its always covered in a slurry that I assume is aluminum and gas and oil.
the inside of the air filter is usually covered in a little juice too. As far as I can tell, my af16 does this also.
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

So, I bought a pipe... I didnt want to, but I did it. Actually I traded for it. The NCY pipe I got for my af16 is just way too big and it absolutely did me no favors. My buddy just bought a bbk for his af16 so I said if you order the bbk, order the mlm pipe and ill trade you out.

This pipe was listed on treats for the se50, which we all know is going to work fine here. They did mention the pipe was mocked up with no covers on. * I still dont know if the covers will fit for this one.

Ill start with the pics so everyone can see. Its really well made. the flange is thic,, the mounting bracket is thicc, its powder coated, and it fits better than the stock pipe I think.

One downside is that the mounting tab is so close to the chamber that I had to shave down the bolt to fit it, but otherwise its great.

So I was able to take it for a ride last night. I ended up with a 1k contra, 4.5/5g rollers and probably need some 5k+ clutch springs. It hits right at around 8500-9000 rpm. below that its a total dog, not sure what i can do to help that.

My other concern is that the rpms climb to 10k without a lot of trouble. Im not sure what is safe on an af05 but I would like this thing to live a little longer. If anyone has tips for dialing it in and making the crank survive, I am all ears.
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Update here also, the pipe fits with the panels on, needed a little cutting back by the turn signal but really minimal considering.

I put some miles on it this weekend and last. I tried 92 jet and that runs cool as a cucumber, but doesnt quite get on the pipe all the way. Tried running a 90 when the wife and I went to a couple art festivals and it seemed like WOT was clawing at the 380+ zone, so I had to be careful. It didnt seem to want up on the 10k mark either.

Im thinking about trying test runs with the cover off and a 92, but im not sure what to do.

Taz sells an intake and 21mm oko with the 2 bolt spree adapter I need, but I dont really want anything but that two bolt adapter. Im guessing this thing needs a bigger intake and carb, but also think 21mm is maybe too big. I dunno. Tempted to go back to stock pipe for the rest of fall. Any opinions are welcomed.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

I bet youre running lean on the idle jet (which isn't removable on in that carburetor.) or lean on jet needle. wheres the clip on your needle? 90 is probably the happy spot or still might be a little too big but the lean at idle will carry through the hole throttle range.
you could either pull out the idle jet tube and use a jet drill to make it bigger or raise the needle by lowering the clip. if clip is at lowest notch. you can stick a small washer under it to raise the jet needle just a little bit more. check how it runs then
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

90 seems lean for sure at WOT.

I think the needle is second from the bottom, but I can see about making it richer.

I bought an idle jet from TAZ and it seems to work better. I cant remember if it was 40 or 42 but I think 40. Either way she cools down well at idle. Only when WOT with the 90 does it get Hot. 92 seems to run a bit cooler. either way it doesnt get all the way up on the pipe unfortunately