Honda Lead NH50

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Honda Lead NH50

Post by Meatball »

Alen wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:56 am Guys, dont you have recommendation for big bore kit please.
I would go for the Contessa with that pipe. Otherwise its Corsa all the way but the Technigas will hold you back. Link below and use promo code “kittens” for 15% off until 11/30.

https://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=Corsa

With high shipping costs to Czech, it might be cheaper to buy locally.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Alen
Goped
Goped

Post by Alen »

Thank you! Ill go for it! Its on sale right now :)
Alen
Goped
Goped

Post by Alen »

Could this be the issue with spark? Lead has old style of ignition with two coils under the flywheel. Pickup also seems to be under flywheel.
Dio has setup like modern bikes

p.s.: headlight works when starter spins the engine

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

In my garage, I have an old timing light that clips to the battery and ignition wire. That tells me if spark is getting to the wire while cranking. Some auto parts stores will loan you one for free or we have a generic tool store in the US (harbor freight) that sells them for about $30usd.
Alen
Goped
Goped

Post by Alen »

I have found more and more differences between these two bikes. So I have ordered cdi and ignition coil.

I have started with measuring everything and I have problem with exciter coil. I just cant measure there anything.

I have here iming light but also no luck with ti :)
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Chasing down spark issues, I start on one end and follow the trail back to the source. I start at the sparkplug, then coil wire, then the harness connections tracing back to CDI, then CDI..ultimately eliminating everything else until the stator is the final item. Im lucky for having many similar bikes on-hand with known good parts to swap in and try. It makes diagnosis much quicker and definitive.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

I have never seen a lead in person but I have learned a fair amount about them in my searching for 83-84 ab07 aero performance. For the engine mount. Search what others have done to put a dio in a first Gen aero. I actually modified a set of ab07 cases so I could port match a lead af01 big bore on it. They are both. 40x39.3 bore/stroke. With the plastics off they are very similar. As to your wheel problem. You can stack washers behind the hub on the axle as spacers to move the wheel out a little. Or equal amounts of washers on the 3 studs that attach the hoop to the hub if you need to move the wheel towards the frame. If you’re not building a stroker dio. I’d recommend building the af01 your lead came with. Metrakit, pinasco, and a few others make big bore cylinders for the af01. And the af01 has same size ports as a dio. I think that’s where Honda copied the dio port map from. The lead is one of the oldest and the begining of the AFxx family of engines. For exhausts the dio race pipes fit on a lead if you cut the flange off twist 90* and weld it back on. The zx rear pulley and bigger clutch and the larger overrange dio variator fit in the cvt with some case grinding to clear both of those modifications. And for the variator boss. You or someone with a drill press just needs to drill the boss out to 20mm so it’ll fit the af01. Cool bike. Can’t wait to see what the finished product turns out. Here’s my 84 aero with jdm tact glove box and lights. It has an AB07 case with a pinasco bbk made for a lead, a dio pipe I modified and turned into a side bleed, stage 6 intake with24mm mikuni carb and all the cvt mods I just explained. It rolls on jdm alloy wheels with a elite 150 front hub (120mm brake) and a ruckus rear hub (90mm brake) and 90/90- tires. I’ve had it over 60 mph on flat ground and I weigh 190. And it’s got a cig lighter Bluetooth stereo and under lighting.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (142.49 KiB) Viewed 71581 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (117.32 KiB) Viewed 71581 times
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

Modified ab07 cases to fit af01 lead bbk
Attachments
IMG_3959.jpeg
IMG_3959.jpeg (94.79 KiB) Viewed 71581 times
IMG_3949.jpeg
IMG_3949.jpeg (85.86 KiB) Viewed 71581 times
IMG_3929.jpeg
IMG_3929.jpeg (70.34 KiB) Viewed 71581 times
Alen
Goped
Goped

Post by Alen »

Thank you for help! I have ordered new alternator, because I cant meassure anything on exciter coil.
So work on it are little bit slow now.

Im kinda glad to hear that af01 isnt totaly bad engine. I have two of them on the shelf in garage. But I ll go with dio af18.
I have already made bracket and exhaust.

Aero looks awesome! I love the patina and exhasut :)))
Alen
Goped
Goped

Post by Alen »

And with the wheel... I have decided to keep dio’s wheel.
That one from lead has different offset and if id mill the center than brake shoes d be in different spot. (and also now enough threads on the nut)
And also lead has 3,50 tires and dio 3,00 and with 3,50 tire it is really tight fit there. But its enought just to let air out of tire for the instalation.

I have sanded it and spray painted it.
Here is a pic:
Alen
Goped
Goped

Post by Alen »

And while I wait for alternator I play with scanner and printer. Id like to make some kind of rear fender so I can keep open intake.

Alen
Goped
Goped

Post by Alen »

May I ask for another help, I d like to run 70cc Malossi bbk and knockoff PHBG 19mm carb.

Dont you have recommendation where to start with jets? 102 and 50?

I have done few 4 strokes with afr gauge but this is my first two stroke that isnt stock. I hope that it d be easy with cht gauge

btw: i have ordered also zx pullex, in-part cvt/clutch/contra spring kit, 9.1 gears, malossi belt 675x17,5x9
Alen
Goped
Goped

Post by Alen »

Yes! My spark is back!

New alternator and it works!

Is there some gap for pulse generator? I cant find anything in service manual.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

I’m sure there Is it but I think it’s kinda fixed. I don’t know how you would adjust? Your stator is bolted down centered around the flywheel shaft. I’ve used an offset woodruff key to adjust base timing. But the crankshaft flywheel and stator are all self centered by bearings and cases.
Alen
Goped
Goped

Post by Alen »

harleyracer59: i was talking about between flywheel and pickup coil (from the outside). Some bikes have in service manual gap between these two parts... usuallly 0,45mm