How To Build A Fast Elite! Build and Tune info (56k beware)

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i was thinking you might have shortened it and bent it in a way that it gives off a side stand look.

i know some one who took a center stand, and with some cutting and bending (same words you used) make it gave off the feel that the bike had a side stand.

stupid i know.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Gotcha. Nah, once I'm ready for a sidestand I'll either fab up a nice one or buy one of the hawaiin ones. Personally I like having a mainstand, on this scooter anyway being light as it is.
projects galore :nerd:
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

you ever used a new metro or ruckus centerstand?

those mopeds have it made so all you got to do is step on it and it brings it right up on it sooooo easy. no lifting or standing on it.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Dac wrote:you ever used a new metro or ruckus centerstand?

those mopeds have it made so all you got to do is step on it and it brings it right up on it sooooo easy. no lifting or standing on it.
Yup, we've had both at the shop and they're both fairly light and well designed, I'd believe it.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Wanted to note my latest optimal tune settings here:

28mm OKO with 138main, 45pilot, needle 1clip richer, A/F 1.75? out, 32g in stock vari, 1.5k rpm center spring (back to 32:1 premix, switching to 40:1 per Keoni's suggestions next gas fill)

This combo has been the best so far with temps staying 350-380F over extended runs (15mi each way), richer pilot really helps cruising temp.

Top speed so far GPS'd at 63.4mph, with awesome midrange.

New parts here, retune in progress..
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

New goodies here, arrived last week:
+1000rpm center spring, to try new powerband
+2000rpm clutch grab springs, for stock cluch but may have a hybrid alternative lined up instead.. ;)
+Two brand new OEM Honda skinny belts, pricey at $40each but you can never have enough spare belts :lol:
+Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, made in Italy. Top of the line piece, loudest compact horn available 139db! Supposed to sound like a train passing by haha.

+Keli lightened pulley and Keli ramp, has been sitting in my closet since my first batch of mods, finally going to try it out.

And the pics, enjoy. :)

maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

screw the center stand and get a side stand, leave that alarm on overnite and the battery will be dead, been there done that :lol:
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

And my Elite project is finally complete. 8)

Final addons include install of following:
+Daytona Showa shock
+Keli Variator, still 5.3g rollers and still 1.5k torque spring
+stock Jog type clutch grab springs (better bite than stock elite type, not as intense as the green polinis, just couldnt get those on)
+JDM low profile mirrors, look nice
+side skirts put on, and decored with nice stickers :P
+Nautilus Stebel horn installed and wired
+Few detail mods: CF look license plate, billet red valve caps, chrome red transmission vent breather, and polished up clutch bell

I took her on a big rally we had past Sunday, and it was amazing. Beat out virtually every other scooter there speed wise, notable wins included a Kymco People 250 which I pulled on during a flat out run in hill country 70+mph, and a 200cc two stroke Vespa which was kitted and done up and I had him neck and neck when we raced. Everyone was amazed as I passed them up on a tiny lil elite heh. :)

And here she is the final complete project, my mainland beauty of an Elite 8)

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

its not done till its broke in.
:lol:

But d*** dude. That bike is amazing.

you think its faster then the 90cc vento?
1991--------Tomos Targa-
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Dac wrote:its not done till its broke in.
:lol:

But d*** dude. That bike is amazing.

you think its faster then the 90cc vento?
broken in?? I have over 300mi on bore.. have gone through a good amount of heat cycles within 1st 100mi. Temps are right were they should be per Keoni's advice too.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm loving the way she turned out, got plenty of go and some show :P

Hard to say which is faster, but Elite definitely has more midrange and top end while my Zip has a lot more torque and launches faster with more acceleration. Between both I'm happy with the combination of accel and speed :D
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

you took it for a high speed run yet?

[i would go back to topic but there is no new info.]
1991--------Tomos Targa-
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Dac wrote:you took it for a high speed run yet?

[i would go back to topic but there is no new info.]
Did plenty of high speed runs as I raced folks on that scooter rally.

Top speed so far at 65mph per true gps. But the guy I raced on the 250 kymco claimed I was still pulling on him as he was almost at 80mph, nice to hear but I'll stick with my gps reads. :wink:
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i would line up next to a few cars.
GPS's are not that good for MPH display. My friends GPS said i was going 30mph when i had it waaaaay past 35.

65mph seems low for a set up like that. I would drop the GPS speeds and ride next to a few friends in cars.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Dac wrote:i would line up next to a few cars.
GPS's are not that good for MPH display. My friends GPS said i was going 30mph when i had it waaaaay past 35.

65mph seems low for a set up like that. I would drop the GPS speeds and ride next to a few friends in cars.
This GPS is very accurate and I would trust it over any car/motorcycle/scooter speedo. I have verified this enough to be certain.

The speed I am getting is not "low" it is where it should be, being a true realistic speed. I know you've claimed its easy to get to 70mph with a Corsa build etc, but fact is there are lots more factors the faster you want to go and there is a difference between perceived and realistic speed. 70mph is not as easy as you sometimes say.

If 65mph seems low to you, please copy my build and show me what speeds you can attain. :wink:

If I wanted to go faster there are some areas I can retune, but since my goal is reliability and 50-60mph cruise, with lots of midrange power I am satisfied with the current setup.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

let me just say something now. I by no means am saying that your bike is slow. Your bike is 50 times better then mine will ever be. Im just saying that going by allot of other info i have read that 65mph seems a hair low. But then again, i trust your info allot more then other peoples.
1991--------Tomos Targa-