How To Build A Fast Elite! Build and Tune info (56k beware)

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: update

Post by burnt_toast »

I on the other hand don't see how you're running a 152main, crazy rich but location and elevation plays an important role, thats what guy in Alaska is running. I'm pretty close to sea level. I always keep an eye on temps and haven't had it ever go above 400F, usually 350-380F when wot for long distances.
happyman wrote:am amazed you can run such a small main jet. the 135 i think would be pretty lean. i run the 152 main with a 50 pilot needle has clip in the midddle and the plug looks good.i know we have to be real careful with heat. when it start pulling a little it make them head to the danger zone quickly. some times i wonder why it is moving close to the 400 mark too, the motors seem to require we pay attention all the time.
you do have a real great running scooter to get the top end up there. i can match that buit i need help from a little breeze behind me. usually a run in the mid to high 60's no wind is bout it for me on a GPS i run 6 g rollers also. which i think are smoked now
burnt_toast wrote:New tune today, 2K center spring, Stock Jog clutch grab springs,
37.2g in lightened Keli (up from 31.9g), pilot up to 50 from 48, main at 135

Fastest speed yet! Down same flat as last time, with front and rear tuck with knees close in..
73.8 MPH! by Garmin GPS of course :)

I was very suprised to see the new higher speed even with the 2k center, but the extra weight in vari pushed it.

Launch still needs work, but better; and once warmed up theres a flat spot again in between 25-35mph ugh!,
but hey cant have it all right heh 8)
projects galore :nerd:
happyman
Spree
Spree

Re: update

Post by happyman »

i had an idea you were gonna make that statement.. i am at 570' above sea level. so in reality it should close to what you run. you have i would guess higher temps than we have here. like today its about 83 and 40% humidity.. the air is pretty fresh. but like you say, that is a big jump from what your running. i have seen wher eothers are tunning pretty much what i am running for jetting.. the dude from alaska for one as you stated. my plug looks to be right where it need to be. could maybe go one step down. makes me wonder if i have s leak somewhere at times. i can if not buckig a strong wind run wot for miles and miles have done it cojuple times for 20 mile shots anywhere from 9500-9960 RPM. thats a plus 70 mph at all times. runs cooler that way than at 45 mph. going against the wind it pulls it hard and its then i see temps go up faster than i like.. maybe i need to look things over a little hate so puke this build. any ideas are welcome
burnt_toast wrote:I on the other hand don't see.. how you're running a 152main, crazy rich but location and elevation plays an important role, thats what guy in Alaska is running. I'm pretty close to sea level. I always keep an eye on temps and haven't had it ever go above 400F, usually 350-380F when wot for long distances.
happyman wrote:am amazed you can run such a small main jet. the 135 i think would be pretty lean. i run the 152 main with a 50 pilot needle has clip in the midddle and the plug looks good.i know we have to be real careful with heat. when it start pulling a little it make them head to the danger zone quickly. some times i wonder why it is moving close to the 400 mark too, the motors seem to require we pay attention all the time.
you do have a real great running scooter to get the top end up there. i can match that buit i need help from a little breeze behind me. usually a run in the mid to high 60's no wind is bout it for me on a GPS i run 6 g rollers also. which i think are smoked now
burnt_toast wrote:New tune today, 2K center spring, Stock Jog clutch grab springs,
37.2g in lightened Keli (up from 31.9g), pilot up to 50 from 48, main at 135

Fastest speed yet! Down same flat as last time, with front and rear tuck with knees close in..
73.8 MPH! by Garmin GPS of course :)

I was very suprised to see the new higher speed even with the 2k center, but the extra weight in vari pushed it.

Launch still needs work, but better; and once warmed up theres a flat spot again in between 25-35mph ugh!,
but hey cant have it all right heh 8)
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Finally added something I've had thoughts of doing months ago..

A valve and tubing to use the oil tank for an external premix supply! It was real easy to do and adds some bling heh. For anyone thinking about doing this, don't forget to prime the line by letting oil gravity feed with valve open, until you see almost no air bubbles, then place the valve wherever you want it. I used a 3/8" valve $5 at Lowes in plumbing section and clear tubing $2.

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Nice.
not sure if its something i would do, but i like it.
totally custom.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Thats neat, just cap it off when riding, dirt in oil=bad.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

thats a pretty good idea. makes travel a little easier if yu can keep gas stations at 40 miles or less.
burnt_toast wrote:Finally added something I've had thoughts of doing months ago..

A valve and tubing to use the oil tank for an external premix supply! It was real easy to do and adds some bling heh. For anyone thinking about doing this, don't forget to prime the line by letting oil gravity feed with valve open, until you see almost no air bubbles, then place the valve wherever you want it. I used a 3/8" valve $5 at Lowes in plumbing section and clear tubing $2.

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Thats neat, just cap it off when riding, dirt in oil=bad.
True I thought about that, I'll see how it is when riding. Cool thing is since its just the unmixed oil, most dirt should still get trapped after premix were I have a two stage fuel filter setup.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

eh, no since in getting your filters all dirty, cut find a small cap for that. see if you can find like a marker cap that would fit.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Dac wrote:eh, no since in getting your filters all dirty, cut find a small cap for that. see if you can find like a marker cap that would fit.
I will when I start riding, mostly on the Jog now goin slow pace =RESPECTA@! :lol:
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

On Wed, July 23 2008, this happened:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6359

I was being pretty stupid and ran the Elite for about 10mi on highway at WOT nearly the whole way, hella fun but hella stupid, as a "low" oil ratio of 40:1 bit me in the *..

In my quest for a new cyl kit I had my mechanic at the shop take a look at my Corsa piston and cyl and say its repairable! So I decided why not?! And within the span of a week cleaned up the cyl, piston, and rings, re-used what I could and cut out some pretty new base gaskets. THIS time I use only TWO for a much better squish band and higher compression.

Results are Elite is alive yet again, until something I re-used decides to go hah.. :lol:

Right now I'm maxed out w/ jetting and may need to up it even more:
At about 75cc, actually using the ministroke this time ;)

In 28mm OKO 145main, 58pilot! 37g in Keli Vari

Update pics, while she was down added new rear brake pads, new Michelin S1 3.50 rear tire, NGK plug boot, removed nasty fuel strainer only inline filter now, and painted the PG BBQ Flat black 8)

Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

The flat black makes it less noticeable, more sleeper like.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

really a nice looking scooter you have. you had the same thing happen to you as i did but now i run 20 miles plus twisrted as far as it can go and done it a couple times my fuel is a bit differant than yours but its keeping it cool enough to maintain a safe temp.. still running the 52 pilot and 150 main, feel i could come down on the pilot but when the weather cools it will be no problem. the plug looks like a plug should on a 2t. i run 50:1 mix but i use the amsoil sabre professional. it seems to work very well. on the other elite that is setup as injector with 24mm carb i use the Dominator oil and its good stuff also , been using it my kymko for a couple yres and its kept the cylinder looking good and i spool it hard compared to who i run the elites.. it spools 11500 rpm so that is putting it to the test.. what is the oil you run? anyway you have a neat scoot. mine are the purple color but its ok i guess..
burnt_toast wrote:On Wed, July 23 2008, this happened:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6359

I was being pretty stupid and ran the Elite for about 10mi on highway at WOT nearly the whole way, hella fun but hella stupid, as a "low" oil ratio of 40:1 bit me in the *..

In my quest for a new cyl kit I had my mechanic at the shop take a look at my Corsa piston and cyl and say its repairable! So I decided why not?! And within the span of a week cleaned up the cyl, piston, and rings, re-used what I could and cut out some pretty new base gaskets. THIS time I use only TWO for a much better squish band and higher compression.

Results are Elite is alive yet again, until something I re-used decides to go hah.. :lol:

Right now I'm maxed out w/ jetting and may need to up it even more:
At about 75cc, actually using the ministroke this time ;)

In 28mm OKO 145main, 58pilot! 37g in Keli Vari

Update pics, while she was down added new rear brake pads, new Michelin S1 3.50 rear tire, NGK plug boot, removed nasty fuel strainer only inline filter now, and painted the PG BBQ Flat black 8)

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:The flat black makes it less noticeable, more sleeper like.
Sleeper is my middle name :wink: :lol: I'm glad it turned out that way actually, stock looking unless you roll by me hah

Thanks for the comments guys

Castrol 2t is my oil.. basic and cheap. Will be looking for better local alternatives shortly
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

glad its running great . hey becareful of the tiresw on there it appears in pic to be very very close remember when your going 70+ MPH the tires reallt grow in height and get skinny. just a little heads up is all. it could get real ugly if they start really hitting something at that speed
burnt_toast wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:The flat black makes it less noticeable, more sleeper like.
Sleeper is my middle name :wink: :lol: I'm glad it turned out that way actually, stock looking unless you roll by me hah

Castrol 2t is my oil.. basic and cheap. Will be looking for better local alternatives shortly
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

happyman wrote:glad its running great . hey becareful of the tiresw on there it appears in pic to be very very close remember when your going 70+ MPH the tires reallt grow in height and get skinny. just a little heads up is all. it could get real ugly if they start really hitting something at that speed
burnt_toast wrote:

Yeah I know, something I thought about but hope for the best.. :)