How To Build A Fast Elite! Build and Tune info (56k beware)

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Dac wrote:let me just say something now. I by no means am saying that your bike is slow. Your bike is 50 times better then mine will ever be. Im just saying that going by allot of other info i have read that 65mph seems a hair low. But then again, i trust your info allot more then other peoples.
Thanks, and sorry I take things a lil too personally sometimes. I've just put a huge amount of time and effort to get my elite were it is now and some folks (not you) don't appreciate the fact that these things just dont fall together, takes lots of tuning and patience.
projects galore :nerd:
danmdevries
BMX
BMX

Post by danmdevries »

If you don't mind me asking, what did the PG long pipe cost you?
2004 Kymco ZX50
70cc kit, 19mm carb, chambered exhaust
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

danmdevries wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what did the PG long pipe cost you?
I got it when it was $140 brand new from VT, they go up to as much as $180new though.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

lol burnt toast.
you are getting really close to "1337" posts.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Dac wrote:lol burnt toast.
am I being a postwhore o something? lol wats up with 1337?
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

burnt_toast wrote:
Dac wrote:lol burnt toast.
am I being a postwhore o something? lol wats up with 1337?
1337 is nerd talk for LEET

Leet (written 31337, 1337, L337, 13370rz, and l33t), or Leetspeak, used primarily on the Internet, uses various combinations of ASCII characters to replace Latinate letters. The term is derived from the word "elite", and the usage it describes is a specialized form of symbolic writing. Different dialects of leet are found on different online forums.

Initially, the word leet was used as an adjective, to primarily describe the behavior or accomplishments of others in the community. In that usage, Leet generally carries the same meaning when referring to either the game prowess or, in original usage, hacking expertise of another person. From adjective form its use then expanded to include use as an expletive or interjection in reaction to a demonstration of the former qualities. With the mass proliferation of Internet use in the 1990s into the 21st century, Leet has since become a part of Internet culture and slang.[1] Leet may also be considered a substitution cipher, albeit with much variation from user to user.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Some of us use 1337speak it in everyday conversation without even thinking about it. Like me, for example.

-aseigler
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

haha sorry for not noticing then :lol:
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

On an actual tuning update note:

Went down on roller weight to fix a flatspot at midrange, down from 32.1g total to 9.4g x3 to 28.1g total.
Then today redid the needle position, from one clip rich back to middle position.
Other tune settings: 28mm OKO, 138 main, 45 pilot, middle clip 40:1 premix

And the results:
On warmup did a run at 65.0 MPH on Garmin GPS with front tuck, then..
Once fully up to temp reached 67.4 MPH! :D with front and rear tuck, running flat out with still room to go, but ran out of road.

I saw some room for improvement on that second run, but very satisfied to see that speed. Staty tuned 8)
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

burnt_toast wrote:On an actual tuning update note:

Went down on roller weight to fix a flatspot at midrange, down from 32.1g total to 9.4g x3 to 28.1g total.
Then today redid the needle position, from one clip rich back to middle position.
Other tune settings: 28mm OKO, 138 main, 45 pilot, middle clip 40:1 premix

And the results:
On warmup did a run at 65.0 MPH on Garmin GPS with front tuck, then..
Once fully up to temp reached 67.4 MPH! :D with front and rear tuck, running flat out with still room to go, but ran out of road.

I saw some room for improvement on that second run, but very satisfied to see that speed. Staty tuned 8)
Run it down the highway if it can make 55 in that short of a space. Unlimited road length without turns sharp enough to slow down FTW.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

you a heck of a good running scot. i think your honest about the real top end of your build. some may go faster but they have extensive porting so they can pull more gear, therefore they swhould have more on top.. yours is bout what i hope to achive on my molossi build withe the 28mm carb setup and the PG Long. the gps is pretty accurate i can also varify this. now the little build with the 24 if i get 60 i will be satisfied.. but then not sure as i have sone some porting very carefully though// yup i hope hope to get close to what you have for performacnce. maybe a couple mph slower. i say you have done very well.
Happy
burnt_toast wrote:
Dac wrote:i would line up next to a few cars.
GPS's are not that good for MPH display. My friends GPS said i was going 30mph when i had it waaaaay past 35.

65mph seems low for a set up like that. I would drop the GPS speeds and ride next to a few friends in cars.
This GPS is very accurate and I would trust it over any car/motorcycle/scooter speedo. I have verified this enough to be certain.

The speed I am getting is not "low" it is where it should be, being a true realistic speed. I know you've claimed its easy to get to 70mph with a Corsa build etc, but fact is there are lots more factors the faster you want to go and there is a difference between perceived and realistic speed. 70mph is not as easy as you sometimes say.

If 65mph seems low to you, please copy my build and show me what speeds you can attain. :wink:

If I wanted to go faster there are some areas I can retune, but since my goal is reliability and 50-60mph cruise, with lots of midrange power I am satisfied with the current setup.
happyman
Spree
Spree

Post by happyman »

could you provide a part # for the uni your running? it would be appreciated. havbe heard or read they flow better and collect the dirt better?? thanks
Happy
burnt_toast wrote:And my Elite project is finally complete. 8)

Final addons include install of following:
+Daytona Showa shock
+Keli Variator, still 5.3g rollers and still 1.5k torque spring
+stock Jog type clutch grab springs (better bite than stock elite type, not as intense as the green polinis, just couldnt get those on)
+JDM low profile mirrors, look nice
+side skirts put on, and decored with nice stickers :P
+Nautilus Stebel horn installed and wired
+Few detail mods: CF look license plate, billet red valve caps, chrome red transmission vent breather, and polished up clutch bell

I took her on a big rally we had past Sunday, and it was amazing. Beat out virtually every other scooter there speed wise, notable wins included a Kymco People 250 which I pulled on during a flat out run in hill country 70+mph, and a 200cc two stroke Vespa which was kitted and done up and I had him neck and neck when we raced. Everyone was amazed as I passed them up on a tiny lil elite heh. :)

And here she is the final complete project, my mainland beauty of an Elite 8)

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

you can get them at VTcycles and stuff. There like $15 or so.

i used one for a long time. They do work great.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Thanks for the props happyman.

And the Uni I'm using is a smaller size 1.5" ID instead of proper fit 1.75" and I have it 3M bonded to a coupler, to fit up. Clears the side skirts perfect this way though, I've since decided to stick to this one until I get around to getting the bigger size not a priority atm.

Doing more riding nowadays than modding and happy about it! :D Most recent trip did 80mi roundtrip ovrnight camping on a scooter rally with 80+ other scoots. The loud Elite got some love from the ooglin spectators heh
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Awesome.

that bike is soooo nice. You really got an amazing find. Then you made it so much better. By far one of the best elites i have seen yet.
Get some more pictures. :D
1991--------Tomos Targa-