85 Spree, test bed for mods

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

I don't mind the loud but my neighbors are a different story. I don't think it will be quiet, just quieter. There is no performance loss with going to the side outlet.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Finished putting the new tuned pipe toghther.

I thought it might be a bit long but it comes on like gang busters at just over 6,000 rpm. I've got the heavier weights in the variator and sometimes it shifts up just as it is coming onto the pipe then pushes the rpm below the power band, fairly anoying. Need to make up a set of lighter rollers and push the shift up a grand or so.

The odd fitting on the end of the exhaust is to hold a washer. I'm experimenting with different size holes to minimize noise without killing performance. Once I get it dialed in I'll weld the washer in place.

It's on the Pal now but once the Spree gets a few miles on it I'll install this pipe on it for testing.

This pipe is 100% scratch built. The head pipe is only 6" long so the front cone starts up by the cylinder. The problem with cutting the stock muffler off and installing a pair of cones is that the head pipe ends up being way too long. This is good for a wide power band but not for maximum power.

keithw
Last edited by keithw on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

that compression emt connector on the end looks goofy. Other than that, if it were painted it would pretty d*** good. Are you still talking about the spree, confusing me with talks of variator weights on a spree.
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

PimpinSpree wrote:that compression emt connector on the end looks goofy. Other than that, if it were painted it would pretty d*** good. Are you still talking about the spree, confusing me with talks of variator weights on a spree.
I does look goofy. It's purpose is to hold a washer for testing. Once I figure out what size hole I need in the washer I'll remove the fitting and weld the washer in place. After I get it dialed in I will sand blast and paint it.

This is the Pal. Same motor as the Spree except for the variable front pulley. I've got the new exhaust on the Pal till the new cylinder and piston on the Spree get broken it. I made a couple of sets of weights for the Pal. A heavier set that shift about 6200 rpm and a lighter set that shift about 8000 rpm. The light set is made out of some plastic I had laying around and they get flat fairly quickly. Need to look for another material.

keithw
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Wait! Pals have variable pulleys?!
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

My Pal has a variable front pulley. I was emailing a guy in New Zealand and he said that his does not. The Pal variable pulley will not fit the Spree unless you swap the crankshaft also.

keithw
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Does it make much of a difference on top end or just takeoff?

EDIT: I see now, the Pal is just like the elite's that have Spree motors. I thought it was just like a Spree. Still good to know about the crankshaft/pulley though ;)
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

I believe the Pal is most similar to the Elite E. The actual model is AF-17.

In the stock configuration is would add a lot to the takeoff but the top end would be about the same. It is still in the Moped class, max speed of 25-30 mph. This one has a blinky light that comes on at 25 mph.

Currently mine is set up so the takeoff is slower than the Spree but the top end is higher, 41.8 mph this morning. More fiddling to do but I think the Pal might not be good for more than about 50 mph. I'd like to see 100kph(62mph) but I just don't know if it's in there.

keithw
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Finally got enough miles on the Spree to do some speed runs. Quick rundown, stock muffler, stock air box, ported intake manifold, .020" milled head, dome piston, exhaust port raised 1 ring width, passage between the exhaust port and flange opened up, drive ratio stock.

This I like. Nice flat power curve and runs nice up to 9,500 rpm at 30 mph. Riding it just feels good. Now I think it's time to do the pulley mod. Going with the tuned pipe would pick up more top end but the noise would go way up. I kind of like not having the neighbors yelling at me if I roll in at 10 at night.

keithw
Last edited by keithw on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

What's a ring width, 2mm?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

A ring width is 1.2mm or .046". My friend the old school two stroke pipe guy suggested it could handle about 6mm or .250". According to the online calculator someone posted that would take the exhaust port timing to 180 degrees from the stock 140. One ring width is still pretty conservative.

keithw
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

RockyMtnRoadRash
Noob
Noob

Post by RockyMtnRoadRash »

keithw wrote:My Pal has a variable front pulley. I was emailing a guy in New Zealand and he said that his does not. The Pal variable pulley will not fit the Spree unless you swap the crankshaft also.

keithw
Wwaaaaaaait a minute O.o

Does this mean I might be able to get a variable pulley into my Elite E?
If my girlfriend ever learns how much I've spent on the scooter, please remember me fondly and take care for my scooter.
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

RockyMtnRoadRash wrote:
keithw wrote:My Pal has a variable front pulley. I was emailing a guy in New Zealand and he said that his does not. The Pal variable pulley will not fit the Spree unless you swap the crankshaft also.

keithw
Wwaaaaaaait a minute O.o

Does this mean I might be able to get a variable pulley into my Elite E?
im counting on it :twisted:
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

The Pal was sold here as the Elite E. I have no idea about parts swaps. Getting Pal parts here is the big problem. Most of the engine parts are the same as the Spree but the variable pulley stuff would need to come from Japan or perhaps New Zealand.

I did the front pulley mod on the Spree. The aluminum face was badly worn from the belt. I chucked it up in the lathe and refaced it. Then I turned down the face of the center hub to allow the two halves to come closer together. Then I made a pile of .010" spacers. If they are between the pulley halves the ratio is stock. The more I move to the back the closer the halves come together. I've got the belt pushed almost all the way to the edge of the pulley. The top end went up to about 35 mph. I'm going out of town so it will be a few days before I can do official speed runs and generate a plot. It feels pretty good and pushing the top speed from 25 to 35 makes it so much nicer to ride.

keithw
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

Not to be a nit-picker, but AOL Hometown was shut down Oct. 31. All of your images are gone.....I was especially interested in seeing your intake porting mod.