85 Spree, test bed for mods

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

The last thing I did was to modify the front pulley. I want to get out and do speed runs with the GPS and do the speed vs acceleration curves for that.

Next I think I'll do the 1/2" wide slightly shorter belt. I've found a source of 1/2" cogged belts that seem to be of good quality. This should push the drive ratio about as far as it is going to go.

The last thing will be to put the tuned pipe on it. The tuned pipe will not be a perminant addition as that quickly turns into issues with the neighbors.

Back in the summer I would get up early and do my speed runs before It got hot. Now that it's winter it's not warm enough untill in the afternoon. With the CFS, by the afternoon I am just worn out and not up to loading up the scooter and going out to where I do the runs. I do seem to be slowly recovering from the relapse and hopefully will start making some progress before long.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
twist
Goped
Goped

Post by twist »

hey keith,

where did you find a source for 1/2 cog belts? I can't find anywhere that sells them around here! :x
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Belt shop or industrial catalog like McMaster.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
slosquirrel
Spree
Spree

Post by slosquirrel »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:Any progress? Take the * advantage of no winter!
I would like to know why peple think Las Vegas has no winter. It is high desert and gets d*** cold at night, even in the summer, like 50° to 60° temperature spreads between daytime highs and night time lows. When I lived there eons ago we had snow every winter.
Might be a lil late for a response, but i couldnt resist...

We got out for winter break Dec 12. My cousin, his friend, and I did a memorial ride (for my uncle who passed in June, motorcycle vs. big rig). From the central coast, over to reno, down to london bridge, up to the hoover d***, and ended up blasting into vegas, before "attempting" to make it home.

Long story short two big storms came in back to back, dumping snow down to like 2000 ft! We were set back like 36 hours originally after the first storm. I had to make it home for family reasons, and at the first sign of a break between the two storms I jumped on my V-Strom 1000 and hauled * to try and beat the weather (literally 100-120 for like 3-4 hours). It started raining on me around bakersfield (beautiful part of California :shock: ), but atleast it wasn't snowing!

My cousin and his friend were on harleys, weren't able to cover as much ground as i was, and ended up getting snowed in at stateline (CA/NV), stayed the night there, had to turn around get a u-haul back in vegas, and still had to sleep in a parking lot for another night! The highway was shut down! Glad I made it home when I did :wink:
2003---Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2001---Yamaha WR 426 Supermoto (CA legal)
2002---Yamaha Vino
1999---Honda Elite S
1996---Honda Elite SR (Only 4.7 Orig. Miles)
1989---Honda Elite E (FOR SALE)
1987---Honda Elite SE
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

twist wrote:hey keith,

where did you find a source for 1/2 cog belts? I can't find anywhere that sells them around here! :x
We have a nice industrial supply store called "Bearing, belt, chain". They carry a lot in stock and are happy to order what they don't have.

keithw
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Finally a decent day combined with me feeling a little better. Went out and did some speed runs. The latest change was the front pulley mod. For a quick update here is the last plot. The peak speed was at about 9500 rpm.

Since then it has gotten cold. For todays runs I covered half of the cooling air intake with duck tape. The head temp stayed right at 350, just where it should be. Another thing I did was to replace the cheap battery with one of the premium sealed lead acid types. Kind of pricey but worth every cent. There was just a little head wind.

The rpm peaked out at about 8800 rpm. So, the speed was higher, the rpm lower, and the acceleration was less. Just what you would expect with a drive ratio change.

Where next? I'm thinking pull the belt an go visit my industrial belt store and find a slightly shorter, half inch wide, cog belt. I'll post the part number when I get it. I expect it will be more of the same as the pulley mod. A little lower rpm and acceleration with possibly a little more top speed.

keithw
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

timcat
Elite
Elite

Post by timcat »

its only 24 deg here but im gonna go try to test the intake mod i did on my 84 spree. i dont got gps so my results will be either it was better than before or not as good and ill post my last top speed and my new one . i think its gonna go faster but dont know yet
timcat
Elite
Elite

Post by timcat »

ok this is weird maby weather related that my spree only got to 25 mph. and i had a problem of my gas cable sticking i guess im getting close to being done testing till its 40 deg or more outside .i almost dumped at 20 cause it was stuck open.
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

I dug through my pile of bits and found the belt I had gotten for the Pal that turned out to be too short. It fit the Spree just fine. I had to back off most of the pulley mod. Just seat of the pants it is a real dog off the line now.The top speed looks to be a touch higher and the peak rpm is right at 8000 rpm. With an unmodified pulley it would have more pull off the line and the top end should be about the same. Anyway here is the scoop on the belt. Gates Tri-power Vextra O&HR V80 AX23. The AX23 is actually the size. It's not 23 inches long. I don't know about long term durability but it's supposed to be a good belt for the application.

keithw
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

twist
Goped
Goped

Post by twist »

Hey Keith,

I noticed that the AX23 has a 25" length. I had purchased a 24" belt, do you think this would be way too short?

thanks in advance....
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Yes I think that a 24 would be way too short. The 25 is as short as I could get to fit. I had modified my front pulley and installed spacers behind to get the geometry correct. I had to move most of them back between the pulley halves to keep the 25 from being too short.

The belt added a couple mph to the top end speed but really clubbed the takeoff. I think returning the front pulley to the stock width might make it about right. I put the tuned pipe on it and next chance I get I'll get it out for some test runs. Might not be untill Wednesday or so.

keithw
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

twist
Goped
Goped

Post by twist »

interesting. I'm looking forward to your findings.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

noiseguy wrote:You drilled the hole right through the federal noise mandate tag... make a nice flat spot to cover over.
LMAO, That is awesome.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Finally made it out for some more runs. The drive ratio is set up so that it just barely has enough power to reach the 8000rpm where the pipe starts working. It took about a mile for the rpms to slowly come up. Once the pipe took hold it pulled to about 11k rpm at 37.3mph. The big problem is the single speed drive, no variable front pulley. There might be a little more speed in there but not much.

I've had a serious offer to purchase this Spree so I think I'll back up a step and put the stock exhaust back on and set the ratio up to make it a nice solid 30-32mph scoot. Like all of us I have too many projects and not enough time or money. Now I'll be able to get back to the Pal and see how much farther I can push it.

I hope everyone enjoyed my experiments and finds the information usefull.

keithw
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

SprEE*MP*
Spree
Spree

Post by SprEE*MP* »

The big problem is the single speed drive, no variable front pulley.
I'm thinking that someone with the know-how should make a variable front pulley...
-1984 Spree,