My Spree to se50 motor swap, spree=40+mph!

This is the place to post your scooter builds; everything from stock Spree restoration to water-cooled drag bikes.

Moderator: Moderator

PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

oh and i went for a drive a little while ago. Night and day difference. The top end isn't a HUGE improvement. About 5mph all around. Going up the same hills i go 5mph faster, on the flats im 5mph faster, and going down the same hills im 5 mph faster.

but the acceleration is crazy good now. It nearly wants to wheely, and before it was a turd taking off.

i just can't wait to put my big bore kit and gears on :P
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

good job again! I give you credit for going out there and "just do it"!
keep up the good work!
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

time for my big bore!!!!!!!

motor removed

jug and head removed

new piston installed

almost done

and heres one for kenny

ive been breaking it in real slow. I've been letting it idle for 10 minutes and completly cool off. Ive probably done it 10 times today. I just started taking it up and down the street at half throttle. I put some yellow tape on the grip and sharpie marks on the handle bars so i know my throttle position. Even at half throttle it has no problem getting up to 40mph. At half throttle ive got the plug looking pretty good so far. 102 main jet
Elite-ist
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite-ist »

fantastic job!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Well after readin, seein pics and results, I too feel this should be stickied. So I'll make that happen for you, as long as you keep updating with pics and info as you make any future progress 8)
projects galore :nerd:
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

the new title cracks me up. But ya, i feel like i gave some good info on doing a dio swap. Even though its not a dio (was too impatient finding one), bolt pattern and everything else is the same. Now i just need to figure out my paint scheme. Anyone have any input?
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

well im now thinking my big bore kit can't breath, like my carb or something may be too small. It just doesn't seem to want to rev into high rpms. I need to put my stock gears back in and see how fast it'll go.

i got my rollers and center spring in today, but i don't think they'll help top speed, since i think my variator is already maxing out
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Pipe and carb + filter upgrade together might be the next move for you. GJ on the work!
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
HondaCharlie
BMX
BMX

Post by HondaCharlie »

where do you guys find jets for the stock keihin carb? Anybody have a link?
HondaCharlie
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

HondaCharlie wrote:where do you guys find jets for the stock keihin carb? Anybody have a link?
My local bike and ATV shop has a bunch in stock and can order any others I have ever needed.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

When you say you should have bolted the shock mount, do you mean drilling holes through the frame and bolting your 1.5" mount to it, instead of welding your 1.5" mount to the frame?
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

ya, that is correct. Welding was just too messy. Hard to get a clean weld, frame was too thin to weld to, and it was a pain in the but to not catch stuff on fire
elitedio
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re:

Post by elitedio »

PimpinSpree wrote:ya, that is correct. Welding was just too messy. Hard to get a clean weld, frame was too thin to weld to, and it was a pain in the but to not catch stuff on fire
Hey pimpin
Nice conversion. It was a pretty good idea to weld your shock mount to a bolt rather than have the bolt welded to the frame, I have had bolts that were welded at one end break off. You might have turned the channel 90 degrees and used it for a clevis for the top shock mount. You could have just slipped a bolt through it put a nut on it and had support on both ends.

Your welding will get better with time. It looks like you are using a flux wire feed welder. Work on surface preparation and also orientate your work so that gravity will be your friend, ei... weld from the top. You will get less bird dropping. Looking at your welds you might also want a slower wire feed for amount of electricity. Also don't be afraid to attack the lumps with a grinder and splatter with a wire brush or chipping hammer. I am not a professional either.

My welder was a flux wire feed and I converted it to MIG. Mig gives a better weld but isn't as good for use in the wind and requires even more surface preparation.
1989 Elite E with 86cc Dio
Rumia 50mm bore, mini-stroker, 28mm Oko, modified m-x pipe, Carbonfiber reinforced frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKSvdjxvBUA
RustyShackelford
BMX
BMX

Re: My Spree to se50 motor swap, spree=40+mph!

Post by RustyShackelford »

Let's hear some more updates!

I'm keeping a close eye on this thread.
'86 NQ-50 IN PROGRESS. STAY TUNED
bigluelok
Elite
Elite

Re: My Spree to se50 motor swap, spree=40+mph!

Post by bigluelok »

keeping an eye on this. i may need to copy your motor mods.
CH80