'98 Elite SA50 ECO Build

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: '98 Elite SA50 ECO Build

Post by burnt_toast »

Some pictures, as promised! She looks quite a bit different than at the start. Never liked the purple panels much personally and sold those on a spare bike. She's black, red and blue now heh. Don't mind the external throttle cable.. lol maybe alludes to the "Stage 3" setup, which is planned for later this spring! It will complete this project, and I look forward to it :twisted:

Found a cool group of moped riders local to me here in Atlanta and been riding with them since last fall! Fun times :D

02.jpg
02.jpg (254.43 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
01.jpg
01.jpg (517.88 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (318.7 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
Last edited by burnt_toast on Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
projects galore :nerd:
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

04.jpg
04.jpg (415.75 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
05.jpg
05.jpg (418.16 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
06.jpg
06.jpg (416.83 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

How is that NCY exhaust with the Contessa? I bought one of those pipes for a buddy that wanted a quiet sport build but he sold the scoot for a clapped out CBR before it happened. Thinking of doing a sport build of my own with it. Let me know what you think of it. Thx.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Meatball wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:15 pm How is that NCY exhaust with the Contessa? I bought one of those pipes for a buddy that wanted a quiet sport build but he sold the scoot for a clapped out CBR before it happened. Thinking of doing a sport build of my own with it. Let me know what you think of it. Thx.
Hey Meatball. The NCY is fantastastic paired to the Contessa, hands down better than a V8 imo. And not even THAT much louder over stock, but flows much better and actually has a powerband hit. Been really enjoying this combo.

Have heard the S23 is supposed to be even a stop above NCY, but have not tried myself. Hard to tell if its worth the nearly +$100 premium, but could be!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Would like to update yall with latest 2 minor mods, that had some major impact in performance.

First up, after 2k+ mi on the Stage2+ setup, the OEM sparkplug cap started giving up the ghost. The OEM ones do suck over time, especially when running upgraded bore with more heat and power. It's a pain when they pop off mid ride, but luckily an easy fix!

I used to upgrade to NGK equivalent L-type plug boots. These were a step above OEM, but would still fail with extended long term riding. My new favorite, is upgrading to an NGK LB05EP (#8020). It uses a stud/bulb style automotive type connection which is superior in reliability and long term use to the stock threaded type. See below for comparison, not how the OEM upper just the tang to hold onto sparkplug thread, while the bulb type below will cover much more surface area = better connection! An added benefit, I saw approx .5hp gain due to the better spark!! Was not anticipating this, but butt dyno says its there, no complaints :)

Sadly the LB05EP has been discontinued.. If you can find one, highly highly recommend snagging one. From ebay, etc. There are similar options for a stud/bulb plug cap from malossi and polini, but cost more $$. Amazon has some china-generic versions of the LB05EP for cheaper, but they appear less quality than NGK. Can't comment on if they will be as reliable, but may be worth trying.

2nd mod, was long overdue: I finally upgraded the stock rear clutch pulley center spring! I ran the stock one for a while, for science, but approaching 3k mi on this setup the stock spring had fatigued and would heat soak on long WOT stretches. Which would = sooner upshift and lazy downshift, or no downshift at all which made the scoot feel like a dog. Basically not using the CVT, as intended.

Had several center sping options to choose from. The polini white was too soft, softer than OEM. Usually do the malossi red for higher power builds, so was leaning towards the malossi yellow. But instead decided to try the polini blue. And it is a great match!! With front pulley setup unchanged, same wt. roller weights (51.4g). The CVT functions fantastic and shifting is restored! Launch is better. Roll on mid is better. And top speed is still GPS'd at 60+. Quite pleased :mrgreen:

Note: I retained stock clutch springs, only center is upgraded. Due to the aggressive gearing for launch and to prolong stock clutch pad longevity, didn't see a need for this setup rev up high from a stop. Not dissappointed in this choice, launches are still boogie strong!

Have to put more mi to check MPG, and will report back.

cheers

01 plug caps comparo.png
01 plug caps comparo.png (574.14 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
02 center spring options.jpg
02 center spring options.jpg (532.01 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
03 polini blue ctr FTW.jpg
03 polini blue ctr FTW.jpg (137.13 KiB) Viewed 1134 times