An Open Letter to Would-Be Builders

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

An Open Letter to Would-Be Builders

Post by Wheelman-111 »

To Whom It May Concern:

This is an edited copy of a response to a Noob Forumista who PMed me with an enthusiastic request for help in building himself a road-ripping scooter:

Builds don't Happen, they GROW from trial and error using upgrades gathered over many months. The payoff doesn't happen overnight by screwing on a whole bunch of parts at once. My Elite started at stock, maybe 39 MPH. Install vario, belt and tire, got to 42. Installed gears, got to 49. Installed a big block with a mild pipe, got to 58. Taller gears, bigger carb, hotter pipe got over 60. Fine-tuning and a few blown engines later, got to 71. Install, trial, tune, learn. report, repeat. The fun is in the learning, and learning isn't an event, it's a process. You build from what you already know, and get better.

Parts came from many sources; VT cycles, DayWOT on eBay, other eBay sites, used stuff from other members, SIP Scootershop in Canada, the scooter-center.com in Germany and many others. I encourage you to read on the Forum and take the bits that make sense for your particular build. There is a wealth of knowledge, as well as an amazing willingness to help others here - IF you know how to ask. Don't come in swingin' and demanding someone else "prescribe" what you need. Demonstrate that you've tried to get informed yourself, explain what worked and didn't work, and why you think it happened. OFFER to help the Noobs yourself if you know something, but don't spout off someone else's opinion you heard and represent it as fact if you don't KNOW it to be true.

My own specs are in my sig line mostly. The scooter works well for ME. They may or may not be of use to YOU, depending on what you have in mind for a build. The parts can be purchased from the vendors above. Good luck and remember, If at first you don't succeed Rome wasn't built in a day when the tough get going for two in the bush. :) Most important is the "Fun" part. Enjoy.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
kingkamehameha
CB900F
CB900F

Re: An Open Letter to Would-Be Builders

Post by kingkamehameha »

Word! I barely rememer the noob days but i sure do remember finding this site and reading for hours on end. I get frustrated too with the people who dont bother researching. Patince and research are key. Im so glad there is a site like this for the folks who are lost. I probably wouldnt be where i am without guys like wheelman
ua mau ke 'ea o ka aina i ka pono o hawaii
zadman2012
Goped
Goped

Post by zadman2012 »

Truth is spoken here. I still am a noob. Fortunately, a slightly older noob, with all new problems... but I can see the need for time in all good things. Excellent post, and I especially liked these words at the end:
If at first you don't succeed Rome wasn't built in a day when the tough get going for two in the bush. :2thumbs:
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

I second, or is it third, the search and read first approach. I have a low post count, because I read and listen to others. (over on the TotalRuckus forums I have about 175 posts, but have been a member for 7 years).
There is a wealth of knowledge if you just look.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Man of the Wheel is brave warrior... :worship:
Him tell of long trail that winds in valley.
Only the wolf pup who has keen nose will find mother's milk... :crazy:
The fawn who crys loudest will be eaten by the Bear... :hi:
When moon is high in sky,
and pony runs like falcon on strike,
The "Fun part" has begun,
Ruby screams,...for motormike... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ZMUD
Spree
Spree

Post by ZMUD »

kingkamehameha wrote:Word! I barely rememer the noob days but i sure do remember finding this site and reading for hours on end. I get frustrated too with the people who dont bother researching. Patince and research are key. Im so glad there is a site like this for the folks who are lost. I probably wouldnt be where i am without guys like wheelman
EXACTLY!!!.....But then you get people like BEAR that run all over people and call them idiots for asking a noob question and THE MODS HAVE NO Balls to do anything about it!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Wheelman was the first person to help me get started in the right direction and thanks for people like him that make this site Great! :2thumbs: ....And for the people that dont have anything nice to say will RUIN THIS SITE!...JMO!....AND IM SURE THIS WILL GET DELETED!
94 elite 50s
----
66cc bbk
118jet/Pre-Mix32:1
1"uni-filter,Keli 9g
1k center,8.44 gears,ZX Trans
V8 Pipe,IRC MB38 80/90 tires
H4 H.I.D

94 elite 50sr
-----
50mm BBK,105jet
1" Uni-Filter,8:44gears
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Deleted? Pshaw, ZMud not for such benign remarks as that. Last time I looked I did have balls, although somewhat wrinklier than I recalled. I don't read every post in here, but if one comes to my attention that violates Roolz, it is quickly remedied.

Any way, nobody can give offense here without your permission. That includes cranky inflammatory Ursine members who have nothing better to do than to troll for impressionable Noobs with self-esteem issues. Hate The Bear? Simple: Don't read his stuff.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I guess this post is in Praise of Honda's stock product. Ms. Wheelperson is inheriting Flash 8 for Mother's day. She didn't enjoy or appreciate a scooter that screamed at every launch with a smoky freakshow, even if it could exceed 70. She's going to ride residential streets at 30-45 over to the Club pool or WalMart. A stock power unit, with ZX trans and 9:1s will be more than enough, quiet,and get back to 50MPG or better with torquey low-revving spunk.

Sometimes Stock or Stock-ish is just fine. Durable and reliable as the day is long, too. Boring? Not to her.

The upgrades; TrailTech Vapor, Met wheels, big tires, ZX transmission, better brakes, the JDM tail remain. Premix is the only drawback, but I'll keep the tank full. At least I won't have to make any more trips to the airport for 100 low-lead.
Wheelman-111