Fab Flash 7: Fabrizi 50mm Cylinder Kit (74.6MPH)

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: Fab Flash 7: Fabrizi 50mm Cylinder Kit (70.4 MPH)

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings;

Finally got a half-day off from work & Family obligations to go on some errands... er uh, check-ride. Having mounted Graph's nifty little Polini sponge filter (Not the big puffy one in his avatar...) with its rain cap, I headed down Yellarosa drive and - BLEEAAAAHHhhh, it won't take throttle. Apparently all those little inlets in the rain cap are still not letting in enough air for lusty Fabrizi 82 to ventilate. Felt like sucking in liquid fuel until I cut throttle and it cleared its throat. Keeping the cap means downjetting at least 3 or 4 sizes based upon seat of Lederhosen.

No worries, popped it off and all seemed well, except for a worry that ham-fisted Wheelman "skills" may have partly stripped one of the 4 bolts holding down my Black manifold. I was too lazy - pressed for time actually - to dismantle again and install proper thread repair, but I'll get to it when/if I decide to drop some more serious coin on a Polini 26 carb. The 28 really is dicey to tune, even at 82ccs. Corsa got its highest top speed using an OKO 26, so I expect it to be enough for the Fab as well.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

Hey Wheelman. Saw one of your recent post about your Ct Black Manifold. Since your having doubts about the sealing.. What I do Is use the Bottom of the Ct Black, Put what ever Reeds you want, Then use the Top of the Ct Chrome Manifold.. The top part of the Ct Black Manifold always wears down and tears/rips.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

That's a good suggestion, DaKine! I will examine the possibility - I do have all the parts and my Chrome top is nicely ported clean and polished too.
Alas, my seal issue is with one of the case port bolts; a moment of distraction and a long-ish Allen wrench is all it took to mangle the threads in the case. I have Heli-Coils, easy enough to upsize to 1/4" and use an SAE bolt in place of the M6. Finding the time to do it is the issue.

I pulled the trigger on one of G9's Polini carbs, choosing the 26 that has previously served me well. I also have to chase down a minor (2 drops a week) gearcase leak. Hope it's just the gasket; I'm plumb out of seals and no longer live near a Honda dealer that gives a flip
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
cruzingratiot
Elite
Elite
Location: Detroit michigan , 2000 Purple elite s ,2001 Black elite s ,

Post by cruzingratiot »

did the tube for the air cleaner work ?

cruzingratiot wrote:
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Now it appears I need the rubber connecter between the OKO 28 and the OKO airbox. Anyone have an idea? It looks like something one could cobble together with rubber cement if the correct hose diameters could be found...
I was thinking something like this for a replacement ?
ill keep looking mine is starting to look bad also
1 3/4" to 2" Straight Reducer Silicone Turbo Hose Coupler 45mm - 51mm
41EtfDWIVEL.jpg
link
http://www.amazon.com/Straight-Reducer- ... B00IX87NYM
Donate Life
6-7-04 Liver Transplant Recipitant
http://www.donatelife.net/
Thank You

My 2000 Mystic Purple Elite Build
LINK -> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27850
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Long, boring story but it wasn't delivered. I've asked the vendor to re-ship to the correct address, but so far no response. I imagine it would work, but can't confirm.
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Rare day off, time to chase down an oil leak from the gearcase, fix an iffy intake port thread, and try DaKine's suggestion of switching out the OKO Chrome top with the Black bottom. Wheelman is nothing if not stylish...The OKO top measures almost exactly 26mm, which is a perfect match for my shiny-new Polini 26. Graph is right, the dimensions and design of the carb are identical to the OKO/Keihin, but there are several detail differences and the overall look gives the impression of better quality. The claims of better mileage have yet to be verified, but with a 50/150 initial setup and the Polini jet needle, it ran pretty well. Not bad for a first guess anyway.
F7PCarbClose (1024x576).jpg
F7PCarbClose (1024x576).jpg (244.48 KiB) Viewed 6408 times
The first thing I noticed was how much louder the scooter is overall. I guess the OKO box did muffle things more than I first appreciated.Wish I had more time, but I pulled and reinstalled the engine to get the job done without stooping.
Wheelman_resize_2.JPG
Wheelman_resize_2.JPG (117.38 KiB) Viewed 6324 times
I didn't have another gearcase gasket, but found a couple of the transmission cover bolts a bit undertorqued, so hopefully correct tension will remedy my drop-a-day leak. The intake port gasket seemed fine, musta been dreamin'. Someday I'll get the stuff together to do a pressure check
Wheelman_resize_3.JPG
Wheelman_resize_3.JPG (122.53 KiB) Viewed 6324 times
How Flash sits on Hallowe'en night, 2014.
Wheelman_resize_4.JPG
Wheelman_resize_4.JPG (118.79 KiB) Viewed 6324 times
Last edited by mousewheels on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Resize photos
Wheelman-111
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

where G9? I can't see it. even with the 16,000 pixel camera wheelman is using. :lol:
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

It's an optical illusion, that is one nice looking bike.
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

d*** that is a Nice Piece missing haha^ .

Notice any difference at all? Good or Bad, By switching out the Top of the manifold? If none, you would ATLEAST be able to see the difference in months of use if you where still using the top of the Ct Black Manifold.. If im not mistaken you also have all the corners and edges smoothed out in the top of the Ct Chrome Mani, Yes?

Are your temps still the exact same?

Dak
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Rest easy, dawgs, with the assurance that my clutch bell is as Signore Polini delivered it. My noggin is another matter altogether. Looking at that pic of mine, I am flummoxed as to what caused the image to appear that way, but it's solid. No chunk missing.

Yes, both tops and bottoms of the CT Chrome and Black are ported clean. Hard to compare temps - whole different carb, but at least now the column is 26mm from the carb spigot to the flare for the reed block..

Can anyone tell me how to resize those giant pics once they're posted? Stupid Galaxy phone sends 'em huge unless I take the time to resize in the camera.
Wheelman-111
Dakine
Elite
Elite

Post by Dakine »

Did you post them as an attachment?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Finally, a whole afternoon to tune. Ms. Wheelperson had numerous errands for me to run. OK honey!

Remember I started the POKOlini 26 carb with a 50/150 combination? Forget that! Midrange seemed fine, but I couldn't open the throttle much more than halfway and Bleahhh-bibbity-bleahhh, ran out of combustibility. OK, low temps, so must be fat on top, right?

I dropped through 140 down to 135, 130, and 128, and it kept getting better! Made it to 68mph with no particular intention running the 135. Top RPM 10,350, despite "soft" power. Temps never exceeded 350 at full throttle. Steady 354 degrees at 55mph@9500 RPM, top temp was on the midrange at 380, so I dropped the 50 pilot out and put in a 52. Best idle right at 1.5 turns out from lightly seated and take-up through the midrange is pretty linear now.

I may need to make a further downjet to 125, depending on the temps I see with the 128. Odd, because the Corsa with an OKO 26 (and 15% less displacement) used that size. It would be interesting to pull the emulsion tubes from the OKO and the POKOlini and compare them. They can make as much difference as a couple of jet sizes. It would seem that Signore Polini's engineers know a few things the OKO makers don't. I really like the Growl from the Polini mini-Pod.
Wheelman-111
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Lack of casting flaws on the air passages helps a lot.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

[quote="Wheelman-111"]Greetings:

Rest easy, dawgs, with the assurance that my clutch bell is as Signore Polini delivered it. My noggin is another matter altogether. Looking at that pic of mine, I am flummoxed as to what caused the image to appear that way, but it's solid. No chunk missing.

Yes, both tops and bottoms of the CT Chrome and Black are ported clean. Hard to compare temps - whole different carb, but at least now the column is 26mm from the carb spigot to the flare for the reed block..

Can anyone tell me how to resize those giant pics once they're posted? Stupid Galaxy phone sends 'em huge unless I take the time to resize in the camera.[/quote

Hi wheelman. looks like you have to resize before taking the photo.
1 go to camera
2 go to settings
3 select resolution.
I use 640x480 it's a small photo. but it uploads fine. no need to use photobucket. :thumbwink:
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Finally, a whole afternoon to tune. Ms. Wheelperson had numerous errands for me to run. OK honey!

Remember I started the POKOlini 26 carb with a 50/150 combination? Forget that! Midrange seemed fine, but I couldn't open the throttle much more than halfway and Bleahhh-bibbity-bleahhh, ran out of combustibility. OK, low temps, so must be fat on top, right?

I dropped through 140 down to 135, 130, and 128, and it kept getting better! Made it to 68mph with no particular intention running the 135. Top RPM 10,350, despite "soft" power. Temps never exceeded 350 at full throttle. Steady 354 degrees at 55mph@9500 RPM, top temp was on the midrange at 380, so I dropped the 50 pilot out and put in a 52. Best idle right at 1.5 turns out from lightly seated and take-up through the midrange is pretty linear now.

I may need to make a further downjet to 125, depending on the temps I see with the 128. Odd, because the Corsa with an OKO 26 (and 15% less displacement) used that size. It would be interesting to pull the emulsion tubes from the OKO and the POKOlini and compare them. They can make as much difference as a couple of jet sizes. It would seem that Signore Polini's engineers know a few things the OKO makers don't. I really like the Growl from the Polini mini-Pod.
you may just need to adjust the needle?