Sidecar Bonneville Land Speed Elite 50 build

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

PorterGuy85
Spree
Spree

Post by PorterGuy85 »

Sub'd !!!

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk
Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Re: Sidecar Bonneville Land Speed Elite 50 build

Post by Revolutionary »

Been extremely busy over the last month travelling all over and working my butt off. Finally a little time to work on my project this weekend.

finished off the sidecar and dropped off the frame to get powder coated. Following the general advice of the board, I bought an AF16e to swap in and a bunch of go-fast parts from Graphite9 on here. Ordered an aluminum gokart fuel cell and started to mount the battery under the seat now that the engine was set back 5". BTW I removed the seat to sit as low as possible (on the lowered frame) and get a smaller frontal area.

Travelling this week and next week but gotta get this thing swapped out and close to running within the next 3 weeks if I am going to get some tuning done before Bonneville in 6 weeks!
Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

BTW, I need an AF16 wheel if anybody has a steelie for cheap...
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

I would use a metro rear rim if I was you. It's tubeless and a little wider. The 90/90 tires fit them much cleaner and what I would say is safer as well.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

This is an exciting build. I think its totally possible. I'm keeping and eye on this one :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

This is not a problem if you know how to port block and cylinder properly and get proper chamber for 50cc.

Keith
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

Test fit the AF16 engine and Wild Lion exhaust yesterday afternoon. Happy to see that my existing wheel fit and I only need to do a few bits of wire cutting and splicing to make this work. Engine mount bolt is different as well so I will need something there but no biggie.

Other bits that arrived over the last week needing installation: fuel cell, steering damper, ign module, drive belt

Also, ordered a jug kit from Graphite9 and getting ported - can't wait to throw that on there!

I'll try to at least get this up and running over the holiday weekend and I can swap the bore and piston after. Looking forward to making this 24mm carb work...

oh yeah, picked up the sidecar from getting powder coated yesterday and she looks great!

LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Last edited by LMH on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Looking good!
Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

I will have a few spares when I am done. before swapping engines, I bought a new Leo Vince pipe for the AF05, so I will be selling it if anyone is interested. $175...

Last night mounted the fuel cell and spliced together the wiring harness to work with the AF16. May try to start it tonight for fun.
Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

Stuck the carb on and ran the throttle cable last night. Put some gas in the tank and a fresh battery. cranked well and will run on carb cleaner sprayed down carb but not getting gas through carb. I'll pull that carb tonight and check it out. t least I know it will run.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

carb cleaner sprayed down carb will fry the motor fast it strip the oil out of the motor...
suck on the vack line to get gas in the carb ...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

Needle stuck on the carb. Just flipped it over and tapped a few times and it worked fune after.

Mounted the battery, plugged in everything and she fired right up. Need to do a little choke tuning but otherwise very strong and responsive.

Bolted the sidecar back on and drove down the block and back. It had been a long time since I drove a sidecar bike and it is still very odd. Fun and quick though

Now that the big stuff is done, I'll work on some cleanup items until the new jug kit arrives. Then I'll get to work on that and a gear swap. Hopefully next Saturday.
Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

coming right along

Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

Too much travel lately, so not much play time.

Took the scooter up and down the block and it will do 41mph in a block but needs a bunch of tuning. Will idle well (but high) with choke out but not after releasing choke. big loss of power at 1/4 throttle until the revs slowly catch up. Seems very lean at low/midrange.

OKO 24mm carb initial setup was 40slow/120main. tried a 35/120 and it was worse idling and tip in. Switched to 45/120 and better but still not able to get the mixture screw in range for tuning. Capped the power jet at this point but no real benefit. I need to get some bigger slow jets now. Will jump to a 50 slow and see if that gets me in range where I can start working on the main jet.

Still have the oem jug/piston in there as I have not installed the one from Graphite9 yet. So for this minute, the combo is :

stock case with minor cleanup at the intake point
Stock jug/piston/head
Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
CT intake with 24mm OKO 45/120 capped PJ
Polini for Ruckus variator (using oem boss)
Kenda 90/90-10 tires
8.4 gears
Malossi CDI

At least I have a starting point.