Sidecar Bonneville Land Speed Elite 50 build

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Re: Sidecar Bonneville Land Speed Elite 50 build

Post by Revolutionary »

Talking about the alternator load, I had planned to whittle on the cooling fan a bit to remove some drag
Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

Well, Bonneville is currently a lake. This means the SCTA cancelled World Finals. GRRRR!

I will still play with some things I want to do on the scooter this week to see what I can get out of it. Then I have until next year to rip into it and try to make more power.

That means - I am looking for another AF16 engine or case that I can play with if anyone has something for sale at a reasonable price.
Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

Well, I have been extremely busy with work and have not touched the scooter in many moons. Yesterday morning I dug in to it as the last time I ran it as with the neato Polini carb and intake and it was slower than the previous setup, so I took it off at that time. As soon as I put the old carb/intake back on, it did not run. That was several weeks ago. I took off the jug yesterday moning and saw that the jug/block gasket was all messed up!! That means that the test I did showing the Polini carb/intake being slower was invalid...It may still be faster!

So I put on the other jug (the slower one) I had with a gasket still stuck on it (out of loose gaskets) and slapped it back together. I wanted to go and try the nitrous to see how it worked. I installed an .008" jet and went out to my top secret test facility to make some passes.

It was cold and carb showed lean running at ~350 degrees, so I jetted up (from 95 to 105) and the CHT cooled to 305 without slowing down (48mph with this slow jug). Then I jetted up again to 110 and hit the nitrous in the middle of the run. Nothing happened. I took the jet out and it looked clogged, but the hole in so small it is impossible to tell. I put in a .015" jet to test out and made a run. cruising at 48 I hit the button and I could really feel the difference and see the rpm/speed climb. After about 5 seconds though, the engine shut off.

I pushed the scoot back to my truck and pulled the spark plug. A few faint speck of piston on the electrode but nothing major. I went home and pulled off the jug. Then I saw that both rings had butted ends and broken - hence no compression. This actually makes me feel pretty good as rings are cheap and I can open the gap to fit. I was more concerned about the piston and also the reed valve.

So the next step is to put in some fresh rings with more gap, jet up the carb some more and try again, perhaps this weekend or sooner.

Once I get the nitrous straightened out where I can hold it on steady for at least 10-15 seconds, I will get back to working on the rest of the program - I may break some parts between now and then and I don't want to waste a bunch of time/money on stuff that may break.
Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

I've been working on a direct drive system to get rid of the CVT. CVT systems and V-belts in general have a very high amount of frictional losses. I wanted t keep the clutch system so I found some sprockets that work here.

I am just about done with this setup and will post up a "How to" after it is done.

Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

Headed to Ohio this weekend for the ECTA standing mile land speed races and will be bringing the Sidecar Scooter to run. I spent the weekend riding around the country roads here and the scoot is very stable even on bumpy roads going ~50mph, with heavy crosswind.

I've got about everything lined out now, but have not been able to find a decent road that I can run wide open for a full mile without hills, so I am pretty optimistic that I'll be able to run in the 55mph range. I do need a couple of mid-range jets that I emailed Graphite about today. Hopefully we can come up with something to dial it in.

I'm sure there will be some coverage online as this is also the Hot Rod Magazine Top Speed Shootout (which we have won on the past!) and they will be posting on the Hot Rod website and on Bangshift.com. They are all good guys that I've known for a long time, so I'm sure there will be some pics of the scooter in action. Keep an eye open!
Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

Made 2.5 passes today. First run was so rich I could not get it up on the pipe so had to turn out. Next two runs set and reset the record to 46.5mph. Still running rich and pulling jets between runs. Thanks G9 for sending jet kit as it is very helpful. You can almost see the Scooter Swap Shop sticker from this angle.

Tomorrow I hit the nitrous!

Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

What a fun weekend!

Everyone at the track loved the little scooter with the funny looking sidecar. The starter called it Tripod and the tower announcer called it the Devil's Leafblower :smile:

On Sunday we rigged up a comm system in my helmet and the tower announcer interviewed me live over the PA as I was going down the track. Total hilarity! Pics are up on the Hot Rod magazine website and on BangShift.com

I do want to say thanks to G9 for shipping me jets and springs at the last minute and Wheelman for getting me a Polini head right away. Also thanks to all the others on this forum which is my primary source of tech info on this bike. I knew absolutely zero about this scooter and 2 strokes when I started this project and learned a ton on here.

I made 8 passes, did 6 jet changes, and 2 head swaps. BTW the head wind on Sunday was so bad I could not tell if the Polini head was better or worse than the stock milled head I have been using. I'll have to do some more testing on a windless day to find out for sure.

It may not be a rocket ship, but for the time being this is the Land Speed Record holder in the standing mile for a 50cc sidecar motorcycle at 46.5mph.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

That's awesome! Inspiration for us all!
Revolutionary
Spree
Spree

Post by Revolutionary »

This is all the tuck I can get, with my belly stuffed into the leathers I can't bend over any further :)
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

hi Rev. that looks like a lot of fun :smile:
great photo too. :thumbwink:
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Stunning! Nearly 50 out of 50cc, UPwind, AND it's a sidehack. You have bragging rights. I'll be happy to see 50 on a 2-Wheeled 49cc Flash 8.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

46 mph out of a 49cc dragging a side car along, sounds amazing to me :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Downsouthdio
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Downsouthdio »

This is so awesome
Honda super dio
Corsa
26mm