The PTSG official AF18e spree dio build thread

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

patthesoundguy

The PTSG official AF18e spree dio build thread

Post by patthesoundguy »

Hey everyone I have finally decided to actually document my spree dio build as all of the parts arrived yesterday from graphite 9 and I got a good way through getting the motor ready last night in the shop. So here are some pis of the motor build progress. A special extra thanks to Graphite 9 for all of the guidance and parts so far on the build I couldn't have gotten this far with with out his help. I started out last nightby getting the intake windows in the block cleaned up all perfecto. My new mini pencil style air die grinder is one of the best things I ever could have gotten besides the compressor itself. Its so easy to do great port workwith it. Image as you can see I got the Malossi MHR bbk installed after that. Next I got the spree is motor mount installed and then scuffed the drive covers and gave them a coat of Honda Arctic silver its prettymuch an exact match to the original spree side cover and stock wheels gave them a coat of clear this morning as well. Now the motor is stock spree looking. Image the rear wheel got the same treatment last week. Image the shock extender actually solved a problem that I'm glad I found now. The rubber bushing in the block that the shock normally bolts to was worn so the rear tire that came on the motor was scalloped and toast. I got the driven pulley all serviced with a new malossi spring installed. Now I'm just waiting for the new crank seals to arrive and I need to go get bolts to attach the fan to the flywheel and the fan shroud to the motor. I figure with the motor on the bench and the variator off and the flywheel off as well now is the time to replace the crankseals and be done with it. No use in trying to run a motor of unknown milage and abuse with originalcrank seals. I would hate to burn up that mhr forthe sake of ten bucks. II'llbe sure to have some questions once I get deeper in to the build.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: The PTSG official AF18e spree dio build thread

Post by LMH »

Sweet put that flywheel to use. The cover looks good that silver.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

LoveMyHonda wrote:Sweet put that flywheel to use. The cover looks good that silver.
Yes my man that flywheel fits like a glove. Its gonna make that motor sing thanks to you. I'm going for the stock look with this build so I had to have the silver covers and silver rear wheel to match the front wheel. I even repainted the front wheel so it was nice and fresh to match the clean rear wheel. The arrow pipe won't look stock but its such a work of art it doesnt matter ;-) may paint the pipe chamber black not sure. I'll know when I get it all put together I'll pull the pipe and paint it
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Made this plate last nightfor the ooil pump plug. I'm going to profile it to match the block. I couldn't do it last night I doddnt want to make a racket at 2am with the angle grinder ;-) Image I have to remember to cap that brass line. I keep forgetting to pick up a pack of vacuum line caps for that. That line must have been forbtje fuel pump I'm guessing?
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

nice paint! Did you say it was honda brand paint? If so how much per can?
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

deuce217 wrote:nice paint! Did you say it was honda brand paint? If so how much per can?
Its duplicolor honda arctic silver NH97M Took me over and hour in thestore with my spree front hub in my hand to match the paint color two years ago. Well worth the time its about a perfect a match as you can get.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Hi PTSG.
Looks good.
GL with the build.
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

patthesoundguy wrote:Hey everyone I have finally decided to actually document my spree dio build as all of the parts arrived yesterday from graphite 9 and I got a good way through getting the motor ready last night in the shop. So here are some pis of the motor build progress. A special extra thanks to Graphite 9 for all of the guidance and parts so far on the build I couldn't have gotten this far with with out his help. I started out last nightby getting the intake windows in the block cleaned up all perfecto. My new mini pencil style air die grinder is one of the best things I ever could have gotten besides the compressor itself. Its so easy to do great port workwith it. Image as you can see I got the Malossi MHR bbk installed after that. Next I got the spree is motor mount installed and then scuffed the drive covers and gave them a coat of Honda Arctic silver its prettymuch an exact match to the original spree side cover and stock wheels gave them a coat of clear this morning as well. Now the motor is stock spree looking. Image the rear wheel got the same treatment last week. Image the shock extender actually solved a problem that I'm glad I found now. The rubber bushing in the block that the shock normally bolts to was worn so the rear tire that came on the motor was scalloped and toast. I got the driven pulley all serviced with a new malossi spring installed. Now I'm just waiting for the new crank seals to arrive and I need to go get bolts to attach the fan to the flywheel and the fan shroud to the motor. I figure with the motor on the bench and the variator off and the flywheel off as well now is the time to replace the crankseals and be done with it. No use in trying to run a motor of unknown milage and abuse with originalcrank seals. I would hate to burn up that mhr forthe sake of ten bucks. II'llbe sure to have some questions once I get deeper in to the build.
Hi PTSG. before you install the wheel, the yellow dot on the side of new tire go's by the valve stem. if you plan on going very fast I would move it. help keep your wheel balance. :thumbwink:
Nice paint work.
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Hey thanks for the super duper awesome tip ped! I will break that tire down asap and spin it round. I love learning little timbits of info like that. :bowrofl:
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I was in the Honda dealer today to order more stuff for the other scoots and my crank seals will be in tomorrow for the af18, I think by early next week I'll have it together and on the road :geekdance:
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

So this motor came with a 28mm oko ct intake and cable already on it. I think I'm just going to order a 26mm to round the whole thing out nicley. But untill I order that carb do you guys think I'd get decent performance on my 21mm carb to start off. I still have stock setup for trans. Or should I just put the 28 on and run it. I love hearing input.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I really believe the 26 is better-suited to 72cc than the 28, but since you've already got a 28 use it. The 26 is easier to tune, for sure, but not THAT much better.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

graphite9 wrote:26 will give you better throttle response, but you might get a higher top speed with the 28. Either will work just fine!
You know if I hate the 28mm I'll getting a 26mm from ya there graphite 9 ;-)
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
sanjuro
Elite
Elite

Post by sanjuro »

I think anything larger than a 24 is going to give you limited cruising range. As-much-as I love the extra air/fuel, I think the trade off is too great. Of course, if it's just meant to rip around the neighborhood, then by all means, use the larger carb.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

sanjuro wrote:I think anything larger than a 24 is going to give you limited cruising range. As-much-as I love the extra air/fuel, I think the trade off is too great. Of course, if it's just meant to rip around the neighborhood, then by all means, use the larger carb.
That was my thought for trying the 21mm. But I would love to have the full rip- ability of the the larger carb. I may play a bit once I get going. I may also get a second stand alone vacuum petcock and run the oil tank as a reserve tank. The oil low light would tell me when it was low. ;-)
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock