40 mph mostly stock 85 spree

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Bossshelby
Spree
Spree

40 mph mostly stock 85 spree

Post by Bossshelby »

Hi all, I have been on here a while and I've been watching people spend hundreds on mods to make a stock spree faster. I wanted to stay cheaper, so I bought a $12 #2250 gates non cogged belt, a size 68 jet, did some minor muffler work, polished the exhaust port, put 1987 spree reeds in it, and polished the entire intake and lightly ported it with a dremel. Also bought a coil and cdi on eBay. I also run only 100% rec 90 fuel. Rec 90 is ethanol free and is also unleaded. I went on a long road and the speedo went right up to 40. Acceleration isn't as good, but top speed is amazing. I'm still experimenting and trying new things.
Attachments
The new cdi came with a stock plastic spark plug boot and I switched it with a performance silicon boot.
The new cdi came with a stock plastic spark plug boot and I switched it with a performance silicon boot.
image.jpg (183.03 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (74.79 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
Here is the belt
Here is the belt
image.jpg (85.58 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
Have 4, 84-86 Sprees
Sprite-85 Honda spree
-87 elite 50 engine
-90 jet
-9 and 10 gram rollers
-Highly ported intake and exhaust
-custom performance muffler
3 original sprees. A red, black and white
patthesoundguy

Re: 40 mph mostly stock 85 spree

Post by patthesoundguy »

Sweet! Get some carbon fiber reed material and cut some new reeds. Pop in a domed piston raise the exhaust port a little and you might get your take off back. I had great luck with the carbon fiber reeds :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Bossshelby
Spree
Spree

Post by Bossshelby »

Just recently put in a new domed piston and cylinder in it and got 125 psi in compression out of it and some bottom end. Now I think I blew a crankcase gasket, because it sprays oil from below the exhaust port and has 115 to 110 compression, but still runs fine. I might get the reeds like you mentioned and then shave the head a little bit. How much do those reeds usually cost?
Have 4, 84-86 Sprees
Sprite-85 Honda spree
-87 elite 50 engine
-90 jet
-9 and 10 gram rollers
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth The Boss:
Now I think I blew a crankcase gasket, because it sprays oil from below the exhaust port and has 115 to 110 compression, but still runs fine.
Most times the leak is from the exhaust flange gasket. That thing needs to be quite tight or escaping oil mist is common. Crankcase gasket issue is more serious, and more trouble. Address the gasket, clean the cases with brake cleaner and observe. If it is the crankcase, STOP running it until it's fixed.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Bossshelby wrote:Just recently put in a new domed piston and cylinder in it and got 125 psi in compression out of it and some bottom end. Now I think I blew a crankcase gasket, because it sprays oil from below the exhaust port and has 115 to 110 compression, but still runs fine. I might get the reeds like you mentioned and then shave the head a little bit. How much do those reeds usually cost?
I got a sheet of of reed material and cut my own reeds :-). Oh and you need to keep the metal reed stopper or the reeds get chewed up on the case and get munched. Ask me how I know this ;-) another easy trick is to put the reed block in place and check how much clearance there is between the reed stopper an d the case. Then pull the stopper and bend it and re install get the stopper so it only clears the case by a mm or two. That gives a lot more flow. Replacing crank seal on the drive side of the crank isnt that hard. For the sake of the few dollars each it might be good to replace them. The magneto side might be a lite tough thougher as you will need to pull the flywheel but worth it.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Bossshelby
Spree
Spree

Post by Bossshelby »

Ok thanks, I will clean the engine tonight and then ride it to see where it comes from. I also will try to find some reed material to make some new ones for it.
Have 4, 84-86 Sprees
Sprite-85 Honda spree
-87 elite 50 engine
-90 jet
-9 and 10 gram rollers
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

You're not going to have that compression with a leaking case. As soon as you start to compress it will leak out.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

or you could not waste and more money on that slow motor and fit a variated af05e or a af16/18 dio motor .Tyese are way way way faster than your spree motor and both have variators they also have lots of aftermarket parts availble
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Bossshelby
Spree
Spree

Post by Bossshelby »

I have another build on here. It's called my build:The Spero I was going to put an aero engine in but found an elite for cheaper. I will post more pics on that build tonight.
Have 4, 84-86 Sprees
Sprite-85 Honda spree
-87 elite 50 engine
-90 jet
-9 and 10 gram rollers